5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Grinding/scraping/servo motor noise after switching ignition off?

Old 09-26-2015, 12:49 PM

Grinding/scraping/servo motor noise after switching ignition off?

First off, I did search, and that led me to believe it was a motor mount going bad, but the sound persists after unplugging both the front and rear motor mounts (2001 Auto GLE)

The sound occurs about 3 seconds after switching off the ignition. I can't hear the sound from inside the cabin, only when I'm outside with the hood up.

Here's a video with the sound:
https://*******/Xdz8

Any ideas?
Old 09-26-2015, 05:56 PM

any chance is the electric fan?

Or possibly the AC compressor releasing pressure?

Just guesses - sorry. I would not think either would occur from a cold start.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:52 PM

See if the sound is coming from the ABS unit.

In the fuse block by the battery, there are 2 fuses for the ABS unit. The cover has the labels "FL40A ABS SOL" and "FL40A ABS MTR". Pull these fuses out ans see if the noise is still there.

Last edited by DennisMik; 09-26-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:53 PM

Tried pulling the ABS fuses, and it's not the ABS.

The noise occurs even when I just switch the ignition to "ON" position and switch back to OFF and pull the key. It sounds (to me) like it's coming from near the throttle body, but I don't have a stethoscope to really be sure. It seems that the noise stopping coincides with a click from one of the relays from just behind the front bumper on the driver's side.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by AaronL
Tried pulling the ABS fuses, and it's not the ABS.

The noise occurs even when I just switch the ignition to "ON" position and switch back to OFF and pull the key. It sounds (to me) like it's coming from near the throttle body, but I don't have a stethoscope to really be sure. It seems that the noise stopping coincides with a click from one of the relays from just behind the front bumper on the driver's side.
On occasion, I have noticed similar noise. It also seems to be coming from somewhere around the throttle body. I have assumed that it's the stepper motor of the IACV - positioning the valve into some sort of neutral/final/starting position. The fuel pump relay is my second guess. However, I have never investigated any deeper. I am curious what you find out.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:51 AM

My guess is that something is binding when it is trying to reposition itself.

I have a sound similar but not as binding sounding and I believe it is either the iacv or butterfly resetting. Not sure.

I would think that whatever the NORMAL item does is not working correctly. If someone can tell you for sure which exact item always activates upon switching the key off, that right there is likely your issue. Maybe lube or replacement.

Maybe a binding butterfly??? I think there are only maybe two potential parts as your culprit

Just a thought.

Last edited by MichMaxFan; 09-29-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:39 PM

I've had the same noise in my '00 for 8 years. I imagine if the IACV was bad then you'd have SES light or other driveability issues. Maybe the phone he was using amplified the sound also its louder in my garage when the hood is up.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
On occasion, I have noticed similar noise. It also seems to be coming from somewhere around the throttle body. I have assumed that it's the stepper motor of the IACV - positioning the valve into some sort of neutral/final/starting position. The fuel pump relay is my second guess. However, I have never investigated any deeper. I am curious what you find out.
It's the TB. Mine also does this and it's verified via my SAFC reading a large throttle opening %, and then closes once again, few clicks.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
It's the TB. Mine also does this and it's verified via my SAFC reading a large throttle opening %, and then closes once again, few clicks.

Does that mean its time to replace the tb?? Mine seems to be making noise dont know where its coming from though. 02 I35 it started after swapping the maf.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:35 AM

I don't think so. My old setup made this noise, and when I replaced my TB for the NWP set, it made this same noise with the new one. I know this is with the electronic controlled TB, but it's a pretty similar noise.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cotozic
I don't think so. My old setup made this noise, and when I replaced my TB for the NWP set, it made this same noise with the new one. I know this is with the electronic controlled TB, but it's a pretty similar noise.
Yeah ive got the drive by wire tb, how do u get the noise to stop, also feels like my engine mount took a dump
Old 03-18-2016, 08:22 PM

Guys, let's get the facts straight: The 2000-2001 Maximas don't have an electronic TB. So, it can't be the TB. However, the 5-Gen Maximas do have an IACV. And the IACV is being positioned/repositioned by the ECU whenever your turn the ignition key ON and/or OFF. I know - I have been listening to this click-click-clack for many years ........ .
Old 03-19-2016, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Does that mean its time to replace the tb?? Mine seems to be making noise dont know where its coming from though. 02 I35 it started after swapping the maf.
It's normal on the 3.5 cars with drive by wire TB. It actuates the butterfly to check it's position. You probably just started noticing it after working on the MAF.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
It's normal on the 3.5 cars with drive by wire TB. It actuates the butterfly to check it's position. You probably just started noticing it after working on the MAF.
yeah u may be right man.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Guys, let's get the facts straight: The 2000-2001 Maximas don't have an electronic TB. So, it can't be the TB. However, the 5-Gen Maximas do have an IACV. And the IACV is being positioned/repositioned by the ECU whenever your turn the ignition key ON and/or OFF. I know - I have been listening to this click-click-clack for many years ........ .
+1

Also one year later and I'm still hearing the noise and have had no IACV issues.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Boothers96
ok, for a while ive noticed a SLIGHT smell of gas when i sit idling for a long time, IE drive thru, waiting for someone, long red light etc....lately its gotten worse. The gas smell is strongest with car on, warmed up, and AC ON.

Things ive checked.

Looked around underneath the car while running for visual drips/leaks - nothing.
Sniffed around car/under hood while running - nothing.
Exhaust smells fine, not like the cars running super rich.
Codes, Scanned and nothing comes up, no exhaust or evap.
Inspected Lines, Rail, Injectors. They dont look cracked, wet, leaky.
Pulled rear seat bottom and inspected fuel tank lines, pump assbly gasket, etc.

Im at a loss for ideas.
Originally Posted by AaronL
First off, I did search, and that led me to believe it was a motor mount going bad, but the sound persists after unplugging both the front and rear motor mounts (2001 Auto GLE)

The sound occurs about 3 seconds after switching off the ignition. I can't hear the sound from inside the cabin, only when I'm outside with the hood up.

Here's a video with the sound:
https://*******/Xdz8

Any ideas?
Check your drivebelt tensioner bearing - that could be breaking down.