5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Speedometer Not Working Properly!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Speedometer Not Working Properly!!

Hello Guys,
I drive a 2000 Nissan Maxima GXE and have got a strange problem with my Speedometer. Let me put down the actual behavior in steps below.
1. Most of the times Speedometer works in approximately half capacity. If I am driving around 30-45 mph , I see the Speedo needle touching up to 20 mph and dropping back to 0. This keeps happening with a frequency of almost 1 per/sec.
2. If the car is being driven on freeways around 65-80 mph it touches 40 mph and drops back to 0 with the above mentioned frequency.
3. Sometimes while driving on highways , the speedo jumps back from faulty behavior to normal.
4.Sometimes right from the start of the vehicle speedo works fine.
5. Sometimes speedo works for like 2 days and goes back to its faulty behavior.
6.The tachometer works fine without any issues.
7.There is no issue with shifting in transmission.
8. When the speedo is enjoying its faulty time, the odometer works according to the half reduced speed. Example:- If i travel around 20 miles only 6 to 10 miles are recorded.

Note: Car runs without any issues!!

Any suggestions guys. I am quite surprised with this behavior.Your help would be much appreciated!!
Old 01-11-2016, 12:02 PM

Your VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is damaged - probably lost some of its plastic teeth. You can replace it - about $20-$30 on Rockauto.com.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Your VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is damaged - probably lost some of its plastic teeth. You can replace it - about $20-$30 on Rockauto.com.

Thanks. I have ordered the replacement on ebay which was available for a cheaper cost.I will post the link here if someone else wants to have a look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151922283405?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 01-12-2016, 09:52 PM

I had this same issue and my fix turned out to be the Rear Right abs Sensor...
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ed_sensor.html
Works perfect now
Old 01-13-2016, 07:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Itz Shak
Works perfect now

Thanks. Let me check with speed sensor first. If it doesn't work then the hunt for causes start!!
Old 02-06-2016, 11:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Works perfect now
Thanks for the reply. I did replace VSS on tranny, but turned out to be same issue. Also got a replacement for instrument cluster, and the same result!!

I think now its the ABS sensor as you mentioned. Can you help me to understand how many ABS sensors we have and how to replace it. Couldn't find much info it..
Old 02-06-2016, 04:21 PM

Alright so there are 4 abs/speed sensors one on each hub
-You should go to a shop that can test your abs and they will tell you what sensor it is.. The reason it's reading half the speed is because one isn't reading proper.
-You must take off the tire to see the lines. One is the brake line, the smaller one is the abs/speed sensor
-They have screws with 10mm bolts, use a ratchet then replace and plug the other in.. honestly the hardest part is taking off the tire

After doing this, you'll be a happy camper for sure
Old 02-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alright so there are 4 abs/speed sensors one on each hub
-You should go to a shop that can test your abs and they will tell you what sensor it is.. The reason it's reading half the speed is because one isn't reading proper.
-You must take off the tire to see the lines. One is the brake line, the smaller one is the abs/speed sensor
-They have screws with 10mm bolts, use a ratchet then replace and plug the other in.. honestly the hardest part is taking off the tire

After doing this, you'll be a happy camper for sure

Thanks. So the scanning tool will point out the faulty sensor and the respective wheel right? I heard that replacing rear sensor is much easier than the front ones.. Is it??
Old 02-07-2016, 06:10 PM

Yes it's plug and play. Not just any scan tool btw, it has to be an Abs Scan tool.
-I had to take my car to Midas. It scanned my right rear abs sensor as "Open Circuit"
Old 02-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes it's plug and play. Not just any scan tool btw, it has to be an Abs Scan tool.
-I had to take my car to Midas. It scanned my right rear abs sensor as "Open Circuit"
Thanks. I am planning for DIY. by the way did Midas charge you for the diagnostic?
Old 02-08-2016, 02:31 PM

Yes, but you can call around and get different quotes
Old 05-08-2018, 06:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 Max Speedo/ABS problem

I'm bumping this old thread in hopes it may help someone. I just put 2 front hubs on the car, it came from up North, and the ABS sensor bolts BOTH promptly broke when I tried to remove them, even after they were sprayed with penetrating oil. I had to get the knuckles off the car, so I gently tapped the ABS sensor mounting plates. they came off but it destroyed the sensors. I figured I could care less about the ABS, most of my vehicles dont have it anyway. Put everything together, went for a test drive, (ABS light on, no surprise there) all was well til I noticed the speedo is inoperabe. So apparently the ABS is a wheel speed sensor connected to the computer as well and now I suppose I'm going to have to take the damned knuckles back off, drill the broken bolts out, tap the holes and then buy some new sensors. Grrrr. If I had any idea it affected the speedo, I would have done that while I had the knuckles off before. And the sensors arent cheap either.