5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My 2000 is leaking coolant from what looks like right above alternator by oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:51 PM

My 2000 is leaking coolant from what looks like right above alternator by oil pan?

Whats up, my 2000 max is leaking coolant as fast as i pour it in from what looks to be from top of alternator mount near oil pan, i heard it could be a few things from a leaky water pump, a block drain valve, a upper water tube or even a cracked block. Please help me on what it might be, car is undriveable.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:56 AM

Well, I think you've pretty much answered your own question -- coolant is coming out, and it "might be" those places.

Give us a little more information to go by. Can you snap a picture somehow of where the coolant is coming from?

Do you see a physical crack or hole, or is it just sort of appearing from "somewhere?"

Also whereabouts are you located? Oftentimes forum members might live nearby and offer to take a look.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:19 AM

if you see a wet spot on top of the alternator, then it's your thermostat, which is one piece with the housing. It could also be a cracked lower hose. You have to try to trace that, but if it's dripping below then it'll be your water pump is inside the timing cover, which has an access plate to it, and it'll drip down the weep hole bottom of the engine. Water Pump is chain driven by the timing chain. They usually last quite a while unless you're way past like over 175kmiles but I hear some of the forum member has not had any issue, past 200k mark.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:24 AM

For the coolant to be pouring out as fast as you pour it in, it kind of sounds like the lower radiator hose either has a BIG hole or has broken off at the water pump.

A photo would be very helpful, but if coolant is coming out as fast as you say, you should be able to see it if you look.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:41 PM

Did you pop the freeze plugs. Where you recently driving with only water in your system and it got cold?
Old 02-05-2016, 04:41 PM

^^if you DID pop a freeze plug take this opportunity to install an engine block heater!
Old 02-05-2016, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Montego Murph
^^if you DID pop a freeze plug take this opportunity to install an engine block heater!
Previous owner did say it was a freeze plug! He also ran water in the winter! I didnt think the maxima had freeze plugs. Is it hard to replace freeze plugs? What else could it be just in case? Cars runs strong
Old 02-05-2016, 05:34 PM

Wait, so you bought it this way?

I think all engines have freeze plugs. If they don't, well, you'd have issues.

There are certainly more difficult things to replace than freeze plugs, but now you have a starting point.

Really the best thing right now is to get under the car (properly and safely raised on jackstands, and wear eye protection) , pull off all the shrouding, and look, feel, and see where it's coming from.

Do you have a little go-pro camera, or maybe the GF has a selfie stick? See if you can stick a camera down there and look around where your neck can't bend.

Do you have a copy of the Factory Service Manual? Someone here should be able to point you towards one. I believe they are called "water drain plugs" and can be found by opening your hymnal to page EM-59. If I'm right, they are located on the sides of the engine block opposite the middle cylinders. Oddly there does not seem to be a reference to them at all in the index.

Last edited by Montego Murph; 02-05-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:53 PM

Freeze plugs are there because of the manufacturing process. They are there to get the sand out after the block has been cast. They are also known as casting plugs.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Freeze plugs are there because of the manufacturing process. They are there to get the sand out after the block has been cast. They are also known as casting plugs.
I searched everywhere for directions on changing the freeze plugs but cant find them. Are they very hard to get to on this car? Whats needs to be removed? And yes i bought the car like this for a very good price. I wanna tackle it in the morning?
Old 02-05-2016, 06:05 PM

Wait, so you bought it this way?

I think all engines have freeze plugs. If they don't, well, you'd have issues.

There are certainly more difficult things to replace than freeze plugs, but now you have a starting point.

Really the best thing right now is to get under the car (properly and safely raised on jackstands, and wear eye protection) , pull off all the shrouding, and look, feel, and see where it's coming from.

Do you have a little go-pro camera, or maybe the GF has a selfie stick? See if you can stick a camera down there and look around where your neck can't bend.

Do you have a copy of the Factory Service Manual? Someone here should be able to point you towards one. I believe they are called "water drain plugs" and can be found by opening your hymnal to page EM-59. If I'm right, they are located on the sides of the engine block opposite the middle cylinders. Oddly there does not seem to be a reference to them at all in the index.
I have the manual, its leaking right above the alternator, coolant leaks on alternator. Is the freeze plug somewhere in that area?
Old 02-05-2016, 06:16 PM

Well, I think you've pretty much answered your own question -- coolant is coming out, and it "might be" those places.

Give us a little more information to go by. Can you snap a picture somehow of where the coolant is coming from?

Do you see a physical crack or hole, or is it just sort of appearing from "somewhere?"

Also whereabouts are you located? Oftentimes forum members might live nearby and offer to take a look.
Im in chicago il.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx
Did you pop the freeze plugs. Where you recently driving with only water in your system and it got cold?
Well guys, i 100% think the freeze plug popped out, after doing lots of research, it seems to be behind the alternator and timing cover by water pump. Could someone please chime in and offer directions? Also what tools i might need?
Old 02-05-2016, 10:22 PM

A freeze plug looks something like a cup that is "wedged" into the opening. You remove the old one and drive the new one in with a hammer, using something that fits the inner diameter of the "cup" of the freeze plug. Some people put a coating of permatex on the new freeze plug, but I never have. There are also rubber compression plugs that you could uses.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
A freeze plug looks something like a cup that is "wedged" into the opening. You remove the old one and drive the new one in with a hammer, using something that fits the inner diameter of the "cup" of the freeze plug. Some people put a coating of permatex on the new freeze plug, but I never have. There are also rubber compression plugs that you could uses.

Cool, what do you think might need to be removed in order to get to the freeze plug?
Old 02-06-2016, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Roblee
Cool, what do you think might need to be removed in order to get to the freeze plug?
Well, i just took the max to the shop for inspection, the water pump is shot! Dang! Atleast i know what it is now.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:09 PM

I was going to suggest it was the pump because mine is leaking from there slightly BUT you said it was pouring out at the same rate you put it in. WOW.

Anyway, mine is ultra slight and did an oil analysis there is some advanced bearing wear.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
I was going to suggest it was the pump because mine is leaking from there slightly BUT you said it was pouring out at the same rate you put it in. WOW.

Anyway, mine is ultra slight and did an oil analysis there is some advanced bearing wear.
it sucks, im guessing it was long over due for a new pump and previous owner just never got to it, hopefully tuesday it will be back running, i was driving it a lilttle bit earlier but had to park it after i left the shop as there NO coolant in the motor.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:21 PM

I know we have a chain, but is this one of those deals where they have to replace the chain and 9 other things when they do the pump?
Old 02-06-2016, 11:10 PM
Bad *** Newb

I know we have a chain, but is this one of those deals where they have to replace the chain and 9 other things when they do the pump?
I made a write up in here https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...-all-de-k.html
Old 02-06-2016, 11:17 PM

it just basically slides out when put some slack on the chain.
But what makes it leak exactly? I bet it's just an old o-ring and the pump itself is fine???

Old 02-06-2016, 11:45 PM
JvG

I have a 4th gen . I did this not so fun task recently. Sometimes the seals go out while the pump is still good. One of my seals was crunchy while the pump seemed fine.

Since this job is a pain in the ash to do, replace with new pump and seals. Use a good brand.
You never ever want to do this again.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:59 PM

But what makes it leak exactly? I bet it's just an old o-ring and the pump itself is fine???

I just read the write up that child posted, i probaly couldnt do that by myself.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Bad *** Newb

Yes, inner O ring fails. The bearing usually never fails (very well made pumps). If it spins smooth and has no play, then you don't have to replace it. But if you plan on keeping the car, and as cheap as the pump is, you might as well replace.

I wouldn't buy anything other than Aisin.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 02-07-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:00 PM

Im gonna try to tackle the job tomorrow, its doesn't look all that hard just lots of steps. It looks like you have to be very careful once you start working behind the timing cover! how hard would this be for someone doing it for the first time?
Old 02-08-2016, 12:32 PM

it still could possibly be a freeze plug upon further inspection off car, the freeze plug is less than 2 inches away from the water pump. And I honestly believe its leaking out wayyy too fast to be leaking from the water pump itself. I really wish someone would chime in on replacing and getting to the freeze plugs!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Bad *** Newb

it still could possibly be a freeze plug upon further inspection off car, the freeze plug is less than 2 inches away from the water pump. And I honestly believe its leaking out wayyy too fast to be leaking from the water pump itself. I really wish someone would chime in on replacing and getting to the freeze plugs!
Remove the alty and compressor to get a look.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Remove the alty and compressor to get a look.
So the alternator and ac compressor are the only things that needs to be removed in order to get to the freeze plug?
Old 02-14-2016, 08:34 PM

It looks to indeed be the waterpump. I removed the water pump from an crashed max earlier today, wow that took hours but the waterpump job is not hard. I got a like new waterpump. I will be performing the job on my max in the am.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:59 PM
Bad *** Newb

It looks to indeed be the waterpump. I removed the water pump from an crashed max earlier today, wow that took hours but the waterpump job is not hard. I got a like new waterpump. I will be performing the job on my max in the am.
That's hardcore in the cold LOL
Old 02-15-2016, 11:22 AM

Not 100% sure where to send you to get the part -- but I'd try to replace that O-Ring come hell or high water before swapping pumps.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Bad *** Newb

Not 100% sure where to send you to get the part -- but I'd try to replace that O-Ring come hell or high water before swapping pumps.
? You have to remove the pump, regardless. And you can buy the O rings easily.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:23 PM

I'd like to post this again.

You need to change the pump ASAP because when I did an oil analysis on my car
I didn't even know the pump was leaking.
The coolant was barely under the full, where I filled it to, and the analysis shows like 5 times the normal wear on bearings. There's some abrasive shlt in the coolant, even alittle.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:38 PM

Well we did some work on the max today, removed tensioner pulley (center bolt was a pain in the a**), removed tensioner plate. The leak appears to be coming from where upper hose connects to engine block. We did not finish due to daylight running out plus i wanted it to thaw a few days b4 trying to run it, it was nearly 0 everyday last week and my car sat for week and a half. We will continue weds. We also removed water pump cover.

Last edited by Roblee; 02-15-2016 at 09:41 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-16-2016, 08:40 PM

Even though i really dont thinks its the waterpump, it could be, car has over 300k on the original pump, he never changed it. Do the oem pump last that long?
Old 02-16-2016, 09:30 PM

Sorry for countinous posting, but i read a forum on here from a while ago of a lady with a 4th gen and hers was leaking out just as fast as mines and it was her water pump, she descibed my leak to a t. Hers had 211k on the oem pump, mines has 300k on the original pump! And the car squeels VERY loud upon start up for about 15 secs, car has a few symtons of a bad waterpump but im still kinna in denial.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:38 PM

Mine had 208,000 when it went out.
Or at least the o-ring gave out.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:47 PM

Ok cool, so replacing the pump would be a very good start? Im resuming work on the car in the am. I just cant believe someone would go that long without replacing the w pump.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:02 PM
Bad *** Newb

Ok cool, so replacing the pump would be a very good start? Im resuming work on the car in the am. I just cant believe someone would go that long without replacing the w pump.
The pumps usually don't fail, so normally there's no reason to replace them unless the O rings leak. There's multiple members that have over 300k with no mention of pump replacement.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:08 PM

Pulled my old pump off, it was beyond damaged!! Broken up.will post pics

Quick Reply: My 2000 is leaking coolant from what looks like right above alternator by oil pan?