5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rust Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:20 PM

Rust Problems

Hello I own an 01 maxima and was wondering what is the best way to prevent rust. Living in Canada these car rust quick. I rarely see them with clean quarter panels and would love to keep my car clean.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by DFry97
Hello I own an 01 maxima and was wondering what is the best way to prevent rust. Living in Canada these car rust quick. I rarely see them with clean quarter panels and would love to keep my car clean.
Thanks
You'll have to multilayer rust proof everything. The wheel wells rust b/c the sheet metal is pinch welded on the edges. Salt/water works it's way in between and that's all she wrote.
What I started doing was multiple coats of por 15 (b/c rust has already started even if minor on most of these), then exterior enamel, then rubberized coating. I overlap it halfway onto the lip.

And if you squirt stuff inside (like body shops), then it would really help.

The radiator support goes before the rear usually. If it's not shot up, I guess you could spray it inside (as best as possible) and out, then fill it with urethane.

Most people's are rusted out by the time a thread is posted. I do wonder what anyone else is doing.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 02-05-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
You'll have to multilayer rust proof everything. The wheel wells rust b/c the sheet metal is pinch welded on the edges. Salt/water works it's way in between and that's all she wrote.
What I started doing was multiple coats of por 15 (b/c rust has already started even if minor on most of these), then exterior enamel, then rubberized coating. I overlap it halfway onto the lip.

The radiator support goes before the rear usually. If it's not shot up, I guess you could spray it inside (as best as possible) and out, then fill it with urethane.

Most people's are rusted out by the time a thread is posted. I do wonder what anyone else is doing.
My old 2k rusted out about 6 years ago. Both my 03s are still ok
Old 02-06-2016, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn

Ok Thanks! Luckily the car has very minor rust as of now and i want to keep it that way!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:24 AM

I just had the entire exhaust from the pre-cats back replaced on my 02 due to rust. Car spent the first decade of its life in upstate NY which was probably the culprit. My rad support is just starting to rust but hopefully I can get a couple years out of it. Nissans seem to have rust issues anyway. My Accord has lived in snowy/salty climates since new and the undercarriage and body look great.

Last edited by mclasser; 02-07-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:03 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by mclasser
I just had the entire exhaust from the pre-cats back replaced on my 02 due to rust. Car spent the first decade of its life in upstate NY which was probably the culprit. My rad support is just starting to rust but hopefully I can get a couple years out of it. Nissans seem to have rust issues anyway. My Accord has lived in snowy/salty climates since new and the undercarriage and body look great.
Hondas get the exact same rust in the rear. I see them and we don't have bad winters. Exhausts are all made of cheap steel and rust pretty much the same way.

The real problem, it seems no one washes their car after packing them with salt filled slush. If you're up north and drive the car all winter and never wash it, idk what else anyone expects to happen several years later.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 02-07-2016 at 08:03 PM.