5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Getting back in shape

Old 02-11-2016, 12:21 AM

Getting back in shape

After the car sitting dormant and having multiple warning stickers put on it I'm finally going to fix her up. The reason I stopped using the car and purchased another car was because I didn't have the time or patience to deal with the hassles of an older car, but I really liked the car and after my wife repeatedly telling me to fix it or dump it I have decided to fix it.
The main reason for it sitting is the jerking the steering wheel does. whenever I'm accelerating it jerks to one side, then when I tap on the brakes or when the engine compresses it jerks back to the other side. I already ordered most parts to replace in the front, control arms, tie rods, sway bar bushings, except the shocks. I was looking at these as an easy total replacement: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....0500&jsn=10500
As far as the problem the car has I'm taking a stab in the dark and replacing all the things that I know need to be replaced anyway. So any input on the problem is greatly appreciated. either way feels good to be back!
Old 02-11-2016, 08:05 AM

My money is on the control arms being shot. With those symptoms you should be able to see the broken bushings.

I can't speak to the quality of those struts but the install will be easy.

I recently went through the wifes 00 and replaced everything up front but the struts. It made a huge difference in how it drives.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:45 AM

Derrick hit the nil on the head. It is most likely the passenger side control arm because the high pressure power steering hose is leaking. The oil rots the rubber bushings. You should replace that hose while you are fixing the car up. Also, in case you are not aware, the power steering uses Dexron III auto trans oil, not the stuff sold as power steering fluid.

If the car has 100K miles, the struts are overdue for replacement.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Derrick hit the nil on the head. It is most likely the passenger side control arm because the high pressure power steering hose is leaking. The oil rots the rubber bushings. You should replace that hose while you are fixing the car up. Also, in case you are not aware, the power steering uses Dexron III auto trans oil, not the stuff sold as power steering fluid.

If the car has 100K miles, the struts are overdue for replacement.
I actually replaced the hose a few years ago but i guess the damage was done already. i live in an apartment complex so easy is better and those complete struts look pretty easy
Old 02-11-2016, 12:33 PM

passanger control arm bushing

passenger cv axle is toast

passenger ball joint

passenger ball joint

She still cleans up nice. would be a shame to junk her

Last edited by webjohn; 02-11-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:20 PM

The passenger side ball joint is caked with the combination of cv axle grease and dirt. But that doesn't automatically make it bad. If you are getting a new control arm, it will probably come with a new ball joint.

Another thing I saw in the first ball joint photo is that the cotter pin to insure that the nut won't come off is missing. Make sure you put one on when you're replacing the parts.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:26 PM

So I changed the passenger control arm,outer tie rods,and say bar link. Torqed to 110 ft lbs. And now it's has a weird shimmy when turning left. It also doesn't want to return back to center when turning left and the steering wheel shakes when I let go after turning. When turning right it tries to turn to full lock unless I grab the steering wheel. Frustrated...
Old 02-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by webjohn
Maxima steering problems - YouTube

So I changed the passenger control arm,outer tie rods,and say bar link. Torqed to 110 ft lbs. And now it's has a weird shimmy when turning left. It also doesn't want to return back to center when turning left and the steering wheel shakes when I let go after turning. When turning right it tries to turn to full lock unless I grab the steering wheel. Frustrated...
It has to be aligned.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:14 PM

If it's that bad, it should be visible. Park the car with the steering wheel centered. Get out, and look at your tires. I bet the one you worked on is all Crazy Eyed...
Old 02-25-2016, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by WTF?
If it's that bad, it should be visible. Park the car with the steering wheel centered. Get out, and look at your tires. I bet the one you worked on is all Crazy Eyed...

It definitely was. I tried the best I could to eye ball the alignment and its much MUCH better, it only holds the turn to the left. the right bounces right back. I don't want to pay for an alignment right now, because I need some new tires and struts.

is there any cheap way to drop the car? because the eibachs are like 300 and struts that can handle lowering springs are like 5 to 600 dollars. I really want to lower it but those complete assemblies that are ready to drop in are 300 for the whole set. kind of saddening.