5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

10 things I hate about my 5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 08:30 AM

1) Wheel well rust
2) Turn radius
3) automatic trans
4) bumper paint is not identical to body
5) loose hood latch
6) ugly engine bay
7) tail light options
8) wish the backseat had more headroom
9) fuel door refuses to sit flush with the body
10) its not a Q50
Old 04-21-2016, 10:24 AM
dot dot dot ...

1.) I can do without the turning radius.
x.) 4AT is for sh^t, why couldn't you bundle at least a 5AT in it? Then again, I'l take the reliability of this 4AT vs the 5AT's of 04+ and deal without the extra gear, so that one doesn't count and this was available in 6MT, so that's my fault, not the car.
2.) There's the oil burning issue.
3.) Sh^tty stock radio even in Bose form (now I'm stretching)
4 .)

Yeah give me sometime, I' might be able to finish this list.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:58 PM

1# I need to completely remove the intake plenum to do a valve cover joba

2# I need new gaskets on the intake manifold

3# I Just freakin replaced the spark plug tube seals

4# A spark plug tube is leaking and it smell so I need to replace it, again.

5# Turn radios is horrid... Really terrible.

6# Motor mounts. I just did them last year. Now one is busted, again..

thanks it. Nothing really else to actually hate. Other than being plain looking, it's perfect.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:51 AM

1.People complaining about them when they beat on them like they are bullet proof for life.....its A 16 year old car you gotta pay to play hard.
2. Threads asking hard ?s about them when they are the best freaking car ever lol.
3. The look of faces after you romp on them....nasty looks lol
4. Rusty back q panel....all of em have it by now unless you got A garage i guess...lucky u.
to be conti....
Old 04-22-2016, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
1.People complaining about them when they beat on them like they are bullet proof for life.....its A 16 year old car you gotta pay to play hard.
2. Threads asking hard ?s about them when they are the best freaking car ever lol.
3. The look of faces after you romp on them....nasty looks lol
4. Rusty back q panel....all of em have it by now unless you got A garage i guess...lucky u.
to be conti....
There has to be a safe way to beat the car without abusing it....
Old 04-28-2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by cornholio
http://charlottenissanparts.com/niss...partcode=62840

i have a similar hood vibration so i'm ordering 2 of these. i'll let you know if it works out.

Can you take a photo of it? Nissan sent me something but its not what I was expecting and I can not for the life of me figure out where they go.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
My I35 spent the first decade of its life in upstate NY before I bought it. The underbody and rad support are a little crusty but the body is pristine. I'm surprised because South Main Auto videos on YouTube show how upstate NY cars rot out pretty quick.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Everything. I "inherited" this car (2001 Maxima) when my wife and I got married. It's been nothing but a problem for me since I'm the one trying to get it in shape to sell it. We already have a 2011 Subaru Outback, and the Maxima will contribute to funding the 2017 Subaru Legacy we have on order. The issues we have:

1. RUST - fenders, radiator support and everywhere else. I can't even remove the ABS sensor bolts in fear that they will snap. Which leads me to...
2. ABS light on. Codes indicate front passenger and rear drivers side are open
3. IACV went bad in 1/2015 which in turn...
4. ECU MOSFET fried. Fortunately, I can do basic PCB repairs. With the help of this forum, I was able to fix it (and the IACV) only to have it blow out again because of...
5. Electric engine mounts. Idiotic design in itself and bad circuit design that any one of these things can destroy the ECU. Chased these problems off and on for a year. I dealt with the high idle and finally fixed it recently
6. Rear calipers seized. My wife was probably driving the car with both rear calipers stuck open for who knows how long. It was only when I did a complete brake job I saw the rear calipers were bad.
7. Radiator cracked. Replacing that tomorrow. Left me stranded about two weeks ago but fortunately was near a Sears. Epoxied the crap out of it to get home. Would normally replace the entire cooling system but the thermostat housing is difficult to remove, would drain coolant all over the alternator and the water pump is on the timing chain! One slip there and it will never run properly again without a visit to the dealer.
8. Alternator died. Had to partially remove the A/C compressor to change it. Bad design.

To put it mildly, I never let my wife drive this car for the past 18 months because I didnt trust it and I didn't want it to leave her stranded somewhere. Either I drove it or my 1997 BMW M3 which has about the same mileage, not one sign of rust anywhere, runs fine to this day and has had these issues since I bought it new:

1. Radiator neck cracked. Only the last half inch came off. Was able to reattach the hose and get it home. Replaced with all aluminum radiator, thermostat (easy, right in front of engine) and water pump as preventative maintenance. That was 10 years ago and no problems since. Water pump on a belt - no issues to replace.
2. Fuel evap sensor on filler neck went bad. 15 mins to replace right thru the gas door. Threw check engine light for emissions
3. Rear strut blew. 30 mins to replace. Changed rear shock mounts as preventative maintenance.
4. Replaced power steering pump hose because of a minor leak
5. Headliner sagging.
6. Driver's heated seat not working

In comparison, nowhere near as many issues on a car that is 4 years older. It has never left me stranded and I never feared it being unreliable enough that my wife couldn't drive it.

I'll be glad to get rid of this Maxima once and for all. The Subarus replacing it seem to be rock solid. Both are 3.6 H6 engines.

I will say that this and similar Nissan forums have helped me save quite a bit of money on repairs and hopefully I will be able to sell it privately for more than the $500 the Subaru dealership will give me for it.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:00 PM

Original owner here and complaints since day 1:
- turning radius with 17" wheels (just swapped to 16" SE wheels and removed stops)
- Bose sound (just swapped in a Kenwood Excelon double din)
- heated driver's seat stopped working years ago
- Suspension noises (just rebuilt with KYB struts, ES, and Moog parts)
- press in wheel bearings
- rust (welcome to the midwest)
- fuel economy running premium (when compared to cars in its class)
Old 07-17-2016, 07:17 AM

1. Rear wheel well rust (Spent $800 to repair and it returned 1 year later!)
2. Power steering hose leak (That hose is way overpriced)
3. Radiator support rust (I had it fixed, costly but beats having the engine fall out of the car at highway speeds right!?)
4. Wheel speed sensor went bad (Fixed it so traction control functions again, hooray!)
5. Cloudy headlights (I polish them every 2-3 months. Its quick and easy but also stupid)
6. Torn bolster on drivers side seat (Good luck finding a new AE seat in the color I need... oh well)
7. Hole starting to form in drivers floor matt (Again, its an AE so no floor matt available)
8. TPS sensor needed replacement
10. Ignition coil needed replacement

BONUS...
11. Alternator replaced (With a higher output unit for my system)
12. Radiator replaced (Easy DIY job, thank org!)
13. When I first bought the car ECU friend and was replaced (Under warranty... WHEW!)
14. My gass door lid broke off... wtf? Replaced it with a new one.
15. Rubber hood stops replaced
16. Coolant overflow tank cracked...wtf? Replaced with new one.
17. Brake dust shield periodically need to be pulled out, not sure why but they rub/squeal
18. Exhaust rusted out, put in a new one.
19. Cats needed replacement.
20. Stock radio sucked! Replaced with Pioneer Premier headunit, DLS UP6 components, JL 12w6v2 sub, and lots of watts to power it all. LOVE the stereo and is in fact one of the reasons I'm not going to part with my max.
21. Starter went bad.
22. Many other parts needed replacing which I can't recall right now (have receipts too lazy to look)

I still love this car. She has 167,000 miles and runs like new. I like how low the beltline is, giving excellent visibility. Why the heck are all new cars designed with high beltlines? I also like that most parts are cheap and with the help of the org I can handle most repairs too. Try saying that for a BMW, Audi, or Mercedes. I actually liked my car better than a G37 I test drove. That cars engine was too loud and felt too stiff over bumps. I wanted to like it but nope.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by HerBlue2kSE
- fuel economy running premium (when compared to cars in its class)
Booooo

I can average even with stupid driving ~500 km on about $60