5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 complete ignition/key tumbler replacement problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 complete ignition/key tumbler replacement problems

Okay fellas first post here great site never signed up because all advise I have gotten off here went smooth until tonight. Steering wheel was locking and had to wiggle key for five minutes to start. So I decided to replace ignition everything went smooth, got old one off new one installed solved problem it appeared. Key turns good unlocks wheel so on, hooked battery up and give her a try car started and than went right off? Turns over as normal just will not start and run. What did I do wrong took pictures as I went hooked everything back up right but will no start. Sounds normal just will not fire any suggestions. Did I have to do something else beside just swapping out parts? Any input would be appreciated!
Old 04-27-2016, 09:11 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by lmarkowitz
Okay fellas first post here great site never signed up because all advise I have gotten off here went smooth until tonight. Steering wheel was locking and had to wiggle key for five minutes to start. So I decided to replace ignition everything went smooth, got old one off new one installed solved problem it appeared. Key turns good unlocks wheel so on, hooked battery up and give her a try car started and than went right off? Turns over as normal just will not start and run. What did I do wrong took pictures as I went hooked everything back up right but will no start. Sounds normal just will not fire any suggestions. Did I have to do something else beside just swapping out parts? Any input would be appreciated!
Are you using the chip from your original key?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No I used the keys that came with it I guess I did not realize there was a chip in/on original key what do I need to do?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:19 PM
Bad *** Newb

No I used the keys that came with it I guess I did not realize there was a chip in/on original key what do I need to do?
If it has locked you out from using the wrong key, you'll have to clear the code/reset the ECU.

Edit: You can swap the chips.

You can also reprogram NATS, but that's useless money spent at the dealer (but you can buy the cable and nissan datascan II and do it yourself).
No one lives near STL or else I could program it for you

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 04-27-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I saw that on youtube the problem is new keys that came with ignition don't have a slot? Any suggestions there once I clear clode and reset the ECU?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

guess I don't know how to do any of that?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Bad *** Newb

I saw that on youtube the problem is new keys that came with ignition don't have a slot? Any suggestions there once I clear clode and reset the ECU?
Ah, they're aftermarket.

Split the cheapo keys and see if you can fit the old chip inside (I assume you can). Obviously, throw out the new chip if this works.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So what do I need to do to clear codes and reset the ECU. Could always contact Nissan I guess and ask for blank key with slot in it for chip and cut it like keys to new ignition?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:40 PM
Bad *** Newb

So what do I need to do to clear codes and reset the ECU. Could always contact Nissan I guess and ask for blank key with slot in it for chip and cut it like keys to new ignition?
You can, but I wouldn't give a stealership a dime They want stupid money for new keys, afaik.

Just try it and see if it starts, first. You can do the pedal dance to reset the ECU.
http://www.6mt.net/forum/performance...rocedures.html

Now, I'm more curious if it shows a code when it's locked you out and if resetting it only works by ECU reset... Anyone know? I've never felt the need to use the wrong key multiple times LOL

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 04-27-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I got the chip out of one of my old keys, so if I can get it reset thinking it locked me out already wouldn't taping the key to outside of new key be sufficient?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:45 PM
Bad *** Newb

So I got the chip out of one of my old keys, so if I can get it reset thinking it locked me out already wouldn't taping the key to outside of new key be sufficient?
Yes, but you have to remove the chip out of the new key, so might as well stuff it in there while you're at it. Two chips will conflict and you'll still get locked out.
Tape would be a terrible permanent fix as you risk damaging the chip.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

guess I did not realize there is one in there I see...thanks for your help
Old 05-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Bad *** Newb

guess I did not realize there is one in there I see...thanks for your help
Did everything work out?