5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hello Everyone IM Nick

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello Everyone IM Nick

whats up fellow members of Maxima.Org. Im Nick and i recently purchased a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE. it has 214,336K Miles and it is Dark Green. However it is a Automatic which i was upset about at first, but i got a good deal on it,Either way its my First car im 21 years old and im from NYC ( Home of the WORST POTHOLES) and it has a sunroof lol. any tips or things you guys think i should check on would be appreciated given the mileage stated above and other info as far as what i know it runs smooth, Sounds MEAN!!, and its a overall comfortable ride even going over bumps no weird sounds. so if yu have naytiing youd like to share it woukd be awesome. and once again thanks for the input.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:28 AM

Hey Nick. One of the biggest things I can think of is watch out for rust especially on the rear wheel wells (if there isn't already). This sites users have been very friendly and helpful, so if you have any questions don't be hesitant to make a thread (Also use the search bar as I have found many helpful threads from years ago)

Enjoy your car which has a great engine that should last you over 100k+ more miles.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

@flames101sully Thanks for the feedback, to be honest this car has NO rust on the rear wheel wells, i was SHOCKED when i seen it in person as i had been researching maximas of all gens on MAXIMA.org for atleast 3 years now useing the search function and new posts function.and know that the rust in rear is a big problem. so that was definitly something i was happy about once i get a chance i will put pictures up of it. really wanna clean it up a little before i do it so i have something to put up that may Interest a few of you (hopefully) . i plan on doing the stillen lip kit but im gonna leave it black i feel it will look really Sexy with the dark green.also gonna add the
Old 06-30-2016, 03:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Tein lowering springs for my model, my friend has a pair thats brand new that he had bought for his 5th Gen but wrecked it before he got a chance to put em on. so im gonna buy em off him an slap em on.besides suspension upgrade an all fluids flushed and replaced. im just gonna do preventive maintainence and possibly a NICE set of wheels with locks.... cuz ppl by me have been waking up with there car on milk crates for the past 2 years. someone is jacking wheels in my town.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:49 AM

Check the radiator support for rust too.

As for the rear wheel well rust, my car make it 14 years looking great and then it started on both sides with a vengeance.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:49 AM

Hey Nick, welcome. I use to live on long island and work in Manhattan so i know the pot holes well. :-) I bought my max a few years ago and it also had over 200K on it when i got it but like you i also got a great deal on it. First thing i did was give it a tune up, change the plugs, oil and check the condition of the trans fluid since yours is auto. Might be due for a service. Other than that you should be good. Post some pictures of that puppy. :-)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:11 AM

Just a heads up for a fellow 5th gen owner. When you see a part for sale that you want, don't pass it up. For some reason this gen max doesnt have a large amount of aftermarket support anymore. Someone said they missed out on cattman headers if you've heard the name and they haven't seen them since!
Old 06-30-2016, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Neeks00Max
whats up fellow members of Maxima.Org. Im Nick and i recently purchased a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE. it has 214,336K Miles and it is Dark Green. However it is a Automatic which i was upset about at first, but i got a good deal on it,Either way its my First car im 21 years old and im from NYC ( Home of the WORST POTHOLES) and it has a sunroof lol. any tips or things you guys think i should check on would be appreciated given the mileage stated above and other info as far as what i know it runs smooth, Sounds MEAN!!, and its a overall comfortable ride even going over bumps no weird sounds. so if yu have naytiing youd like to share it woukd be awesome. and once again thanks for the input.
Nick, welcome to the forum.
Personally, I feel rust is a (somewhat) lesser evil compared to: a) The IACV problem common to all 3.0L engines (read this https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...seconds-6.html ), and b) Engine damage as a result of pre-Cat disintegration; however pre-cat failures tend to be more common with the 3.5L engine. In either case, find out what the status of these two components is in your car.