5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Live Code Reader ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 05:58 AM

Live Code Reader ?

Hi Friends,

Harbor Freight is having a sale on Code Readers and one of them gives live data. I checked out my friends unit, but as he ran it on his car (buick) i'm not sure "what the hell" i was looking at....nor did he. Its got all this fancy code symbols that one would need a book to figure out, (so it seems). It would graph some of the sensors and data, but others it would not.

(this live code reader model costs about $80) and its bulky as hell...BUT it got good ratings. This model is made by Autel Autolink AL519 Diagnostic Scan Tool but marketing under harbor freight name.

QUESTION: Is a basic Code reader all that is needed for a novice....or should i step up and try to learn live code reading?

thanks for your constructive input!

PS. Heres a live demo

Last edited by FlaMark; 07-21-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:47 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

Go on eBay and get a wireless reader like the ELM27 for $12-$15. Bluetooth version for android, or wi-fi version for iPhone. With the apps that are available you can live scan and more. The "Torque" app and "Dash Command" are the ones I've used and can recommend (there are many others). My old coder reader (like the one you want to buy) has been sitting in my girlfriends trunk unused for about 4 years now.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:01 AM

I agree with ManualMaxima, get a system using your smartphone.

What you do with all that live data depends on how much you want to know about your car. Some of it will require you to learn about whatever it is, but if you want to fix your own car, that information will help you diagnose a problem.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
Go on eBay and get a wireless reader like the ELM27 for $12-$15. Bluetooth version for android, or wi-fi version for iPhone. With the apps that are available you can live scan and more. The "Torque" app and "Dash Command" are the ones I've used and can recommend (there are many others). My old coder reader (like the one you want to buy) has been sitting in my girlfriends trunk unused for about 4 years now.
I'm not sure those give you live readings *(like reading oxegan sensor changes etc), BUT if it gives you the standard code errors that would be great.

***I tried the FREE version of Torque, but it didn't have any customization for a Nissan---it just read the code. I wonder if the paid versions will be better???

Do you know?
Old 07-21-2016, 11:16 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by Balkins
I'm not sure those give you live readings *(like reading oxegan sensor changes etc), BUT if it gives you the standard code errors that would be great. ***I tried the FREE version of Torque, but it didn't have any customization for a Nissan---it just read the code. I wonder if the paid versions will be better??? . Do you know?
Yep they can give you all that data. I've used "Dash Command" predominantly. There is a page that you can set up all of your own custom gauges and graphs (as well as the usual stuff already shown). If your cars computer can read it, dash command will display it, as well as allow you to record and save the stream. For some examples, I've used the short/long fuel trims and air flow readings to detect a failing MAF, o2 voltages and heater readings to see a why the sensor was failing, and pulled an alternator before it completely failed after seeing the low output voltage. This was just my max, but it has actually sniffed out more problems in other people's cars than mine over the years. On this note as well, with newer cars you can even pull much MORE data than my old 01 max. One of the best purchases I've ever made...
Old 07-21-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
Yep they can give you all that data. I've used "Dash Command" predominantly. There is a page that you can set up all of your own custom gauges and graphs (as well as the usual stuff already shown). If your cars computer can read it, dash command will display it, as well as allow you to record and save the stream. For some examples, I've used the short/long fuel trims and air flow readings to detect a failing MAF, o2 voltages and heater readings to see a why the sensor was failing, and pulled an alternator before it completely failed after seeing the low output voltage. This was just my max, but it has actually sniffed out more problems in other people's cars than mine over the years. On this note as well, with newer cars you can even pull much MORE data than my old 01 max. One of the best purchases I've ever made...
Ok Manny....thanks man. I'm gonna purchase a copy now. ALL i really want is a good code reader...if i can get live date from a ELM interface, my phone and the program, i'll be more than happy.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:25 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by Balkins
Ok Manny....thanks man. I'm gonna purchase a copy now. ALL i really want is a good code reader...if i can get live date from a ELM interface, my phone and the program, i'll be more than happy.
Just be sure to get the correct version of the ELM27 (they are the same price). iPhones are Bluetooth restricted so you have to get the wi-fi version if you have iOS, like me. With android you can use the Bluetooth one.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Bad *** Newb

If you're gonna spend more than 10 for the bluetooth adapter just get NDS2.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Interesting. So you are saying forget the $50 obdx bluetooth?

What exactly is a NDS2?

Old 07-24-2016, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Hey Child, are you talking about this one?

LINK

?