5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transmission Dip stick Dry?????

Old 07-24-2016, 01:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Transmission Dip stick Dry?????

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 10); line-height: 120%; text-align: left; }p.western { font-family: "Calibri",serif; font-size: 11pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "Droid Sans Fallback"; font-size: 11pt; }p.ctl { font-size: 11pt; } I have a re-built transmission in a 2004 maxima w/ 146K. The re-built transmission has 20K on it and is 19 months into a 24 month warranty. I'm pretty sure he didn't use Matic K fluid.

While preparing for the return trip from TN, I checked the transmission fluid. The engine was hot (been running for 1.5 hrs), in park on level ground. I pulled the dip stick that was fully seated and to my shock found the dip stick dry. I immediately re-dipped it and found the fluid level where it usually is...above full. I re-checked the fluid level at three other times and found the dip stick dry upon initially pulling it out, but found it to have plenty of fluid on re-dipping it....very perplexing!! I described the situation to my reputable mechanic and he said that did not sound right and that the fluid may be backing up elsewhere in the transmission and that I should have it looked by the shop that put in the re-built transmission.

Also, as we would go up hills, particularly while using cruise control, the transmission seemed like in places it wanted to down shift but generally would not. I also felt a very faint shuddering sensation when it seemed like it wanted to down shift and didn't.....approx. speeds were between 65-70+.

I took it to the shop and they checked fluid and put it on the machine and said it was fine. Are we over thinking all of this???

So please give ANY advice in this situation.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by bph1994
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 10); line-height: 120%; text-align: left; }p.western { font-family: "Calibri",serif; font-size: 11pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "Droid Sans Fallback"; font-size: 11pt; }p.ctl { font-size: 11pt; } I have a re-built transmission in a 2004 maxima w/ 146K. The re-built transmission has 20K on it and is 19 months into a 24 month warranty. I'm pretty sure he didn't use Matic K fluid.

While preparing for the return trip from TN, I checked the transmission fluid. The engine was hot (been running for 1.5 hrs), in park on level ground. I pulled the dip stick that was fully seated and to my shock found the dip stick dry. I immediately re-dipped it and found the fluid level where it usually is...above full. I re-checked the fluid level at three other times and found the dip stick dry upon initially pulling it out, but found it to have plenty of fluid on re-dipping it....very perplexing!! I described the situation to my reputable mechanic and he said that did not sound right and that the fluid may be backing up elsewhere in the transmission and that I should have it looked by the shop that put in the re-built transmission.

Also, as we would go up hills, particularly while using cruise control, the transmission seemed like in places it wanted to down shift but generally would not. I also felt a very faint shuddering sensation when it seemed like it wanted to down shift and didn't.....approx. speeds were between 65-70+.

I took it to the shop and they checked fluid and put it on the machine and said it was fine. Are we over thinking all of this???

So please give ANY advice in this situation.
Quite interesting. I am subscribing to this thread.