5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

rough idle, lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 04:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

rough idle, lack of power

What's going on guys. My maxima is experiencing lack of power and a rough idle, and also seems to be backfiring slightly possibly. I'm getting a p0300 code. I'm pretty sure it's not coils 2,4,6 as I just checked them and the idle changed when I disconnected each one. My max has 3 plugs on the front of the engine block towards the radiator. One is dark green, one dark blue and the other light blue (far left towards passenger side). The light blue isn't snapping when connecting and I'm wondering if that's what's causing my issues. I'll probably check coils 1,3,5 tomorrow or take it to Nissan and see if they can figure out the issue. I was just wondering if any of you guys were familiar with the functions of that plug. Thanks in advance you guys.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:15 PM

If one of the colored connectors up front isn't snapped in, you should be getting an O2 sensor code because that's what they're for, not the coils. The P0300 is a general misfire code. Could be a bad coil pack in the back but you gotta pull the intake plenum to check.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:24 PM

Most probably won't agree but when this happened to me I drove hard for about 3 minutes until I got a specific cylinder code then replaced that coil
Old 08-15-2016, 03:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay cool, thanks for the help you guys
Old 08-15-2016, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by 2damax
Most probably won't agree but when this happened to me I drove hard for about 3 minutes until I got a specific cylinder code then replaced that coil
+1 I was missing under load so I put it third and floored it to force a code to appear. 30 sec later it was coil no 6.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just an update. I figured out it wasn't 2,4,6 by unplugging then while running the car. I was able to reach in the back of the motor and unplugged coil 5 and no response, so I figured at least that one was bad. I swapped the front 3 with the back 3 and picked up another 2 coils. Now the front 3 are working and 5 is still not working. I changed the spark plugs as well. Could it be the connector to coil 5? If so, would I have to take the intake plenum off again to change that?
Old 08-17-2016, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by jfredlocks
Just an update. I figured out it wasn't 2,4,6 by unplugging then while running the car. I was able to reach in the back of the motor and unplugged coil 5 and no response, so I figured at least that one was bad. I swapped the front 3 with the back 3 and picked up another 2 coils. Now the front 3 are working and 5 is still not working. I changed the spark plugs as well. Could it be the connector to coil 5? If so, would I have to take the intake plenum off again to change that?
Pull the plug on cylinder 5 and post a picture of it.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Old 08-17-2016, 07:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have you checked injectors ?? Unplug each while running and see if it changes idle, these are common issue with maxima
Old 09-04-2016, 08:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update- fixed the misfire by switching the plugs on coils 1 and 3. I guess they were plugged in the wrong order. Car is good now, I appreciate the help you guys.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by jfredlocks
Update- fixed the misfire by switching the plugs on coils 1 and 3. I guess they were plugged in the wrong order. Car is good now, I appreciate the help you guys.
The misfire will probably return. Im guessing you have oil in the spark plug tubes. This is probably why the code didn't follow when you switched coils. If the code returns I would look at the spark plug tubes.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mattx
The misfire will probably return. Im guessing you have oil in the spark plug tubes. This is probably why the code didn't follow when you switched coils. If the code returns I would look at the spark plug tubes.
How to resolve the oil in the spark plug tube?

Because I have misfire in cyl 5 also and we did swap the coil and noticed that there is oil in cyl 5 spark plug hole. The mechanic did replace the intake gasket but just put some silicone over the oring of the spark plug hole. But right after this repair misfire occur. I live with this problem for almost 2 years now. The misfire will last from 30 sec to 2 minutes when cold.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by zappasian
How to resolve the oil in the spark plug tube? Because I have misfire in cyl 5 also and we did swap the coil and noticed that there is oil in cyl 5 spark plug hole. The mechanic did replace the intake gasket but just put some silicone over the oring of the spark plug hole. But right after this repair misfire occur. I live with this problem for almost 2 years now. The misfire will last from 30 sec to 2 minutes when cold.
Ok it's easy to check if you have oil in the tubes. Just remove the coils as you're doing that you should have an idea cause oil will be dripping off of the coils. To be sure just look in the or stick something in the tube you'll know if it's got oil in it. If that isn't the case then you have to narrow it down to a couple of things. Spark plugs need changed, coils are dying, or your maf needs replaced or cleaned really good.

If you do find you have oil in the tubes get new valve cover gaskets and a couple of tubes of rvt I prefer the jb weld black or even blue. It's a sealer and gasket so I like it better. Take covers off and what I did was laid a some in the groove on valve cover all the way around insert the seal the correct then put a generous amount around the bottom of the seals and the mating surface of the covers. Make sure everything is clean first. I also put a bunch in the empty space between the top of the tube seals to. Then reassemble tightening the bolts until the rvt starts to squeeze out. Let it sit for an hour then torque the bolts down to spec. Don't over torque or you'll crack the cover. Once everything is back together don't start or move the car for 24 hours that's how long until the rvt is cured.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I meant to say I switched the connectors of plugs 1 and 3, not the actual coils themselves. From what I read somewhere the coils have to be connected in a certain order. I swapped the spark plugs when I first checked out the coils and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Hopefully I stay misfire free for good lol.