5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Integral vs External EGR

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:34 AM

Integral vs External EGR

Recently completed swapping an '05 VQ into my '03 6-speed. Old motor was burning oil, timing gear was toast ... all the usual stuff.

"New" engine running pretty good but I have noticed there is a lot of black, carbon-looking crap in the lower intake runners. My old engine had oil in the front bank runners (getting past the rings) but it did not have this black sh#t in there that this one does. If you look through the oil filler you can also see it on the cams (not the lobes obviously) and elsewhere.

Could this be because of the way the EGR works on the '04+ engines vs my old '03? Nasty exhaust gases going in through the intake manifold and depositing sh#t all over the place?

Even when I check the oil ... black stuff coming off the dipstick. Apparently it even made it's way up the damn dipstick tube. The oil is certainly staying cleaner than in my old engine and this one does not seem to burn any.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Blassmasta; 08-17-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:25 AM
Bad *** Newb

There is still no external EGR...

Why you would even ask this is more than a little crazy.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:45 AM

Sounds like the previous owner used cheap oil and didn't do regular oil changes
Old 08-17-2016, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Why you would even ask this is more than a little crazy.
If you say so.
so that's not an EGR port on this 2004 intake?
Old 08-17-2016, 03:14 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Blassmasta
If you say so.
so that's not an EGR port on this 2004 intake?
You can't use it, so....
Not only would you need the ecu to control the EGR valve (so you'd need the exhaust manifold, too), for it to actually work, the IVT map has to be completely different so valve overlap is cut off.

Sticking feathers in your butt does not make you a chicken.

The 6th gen engine swap will not use the upper IM, fuel rail, KS, or....EGR.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 08-17-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:14 PM

You can't use it, so....
Yeah ... never said I wanted to.

Not only would you need the ecu to control the EGR valve (so you'd need the exhaust manifold, too), for it to actually work, the IVT map has to be completely different so valve overlap is cut off.
And once again ... never said I wanted to

Sticking feathers in your butt does not make you a chicken.
Profound.

The 6th gen engine swap will not use the upper IM, fuel rail, KS, or....EGR.
Quite aware of all of this since I have already done it. Which you would know if you actually read the original post.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Bad *** Newb

Quite aware of all of this since I have already done it. Which you would know if you actually read the original post.
Ah, you mean from its previous life...
That's not from the EGR. I would flush that **** a couple times. That does not sound right.

Oh, I read it, but with 100 noob posts per day, all I see "I didn't do any work, don't know how it works, but I make threads."
Sorry.

The trolls aren't helping, either.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 08-17-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:27 AM

Recently completed swapping an '05 VQ into my '03 6-speed. Old motor was burning oil, timing gear was toast ... all the usual stuff.

"New" engine running pretty good but I have noticed there is a lot of black, carbon-looking crap in the lower intake runners. My old engine had oil in the front bank runners (getting past the rings) but it did not have this black sh#t in there that this one does. If you look through the oil filler you can also see it on the cams (not the lobes obviously) and elsewhere.

Could this be because of the way the EGR works on the '04+ engines vs my old '03? Nasty exhaust gases going in through the intake manifold and depositing sh#t all over the place?

Even when I check the oil ... black stuff coming off the dipstick. Apparently it even made it's way up the damn dipstick tube. The oil is certainly staying cleaner than in my old engine and this one does not seem to burn any.

Any thoughts?
I know the egr valve can cake up runners with carbon, it happened to my Acura Cl. the individual egr ports for each cylinder were at the top of each runner in the plenum so when I took off the intake manifold there was the same black crud as in the tailpipe as it was inside the runners. Mine looked realy bad with 200k miles however, I was chipping the black stuff from the runners. That same motor wouldn't burn oil in its 7k mile oil changes( okay mabye about a half a quart or so). I bet that black *** oil didn't help one bit either.

Last edited by MadMax SE; 08-18-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:19 AM

The trolls aren't helping, either.
try some of this...

Name:  troll_spray_zps123586fe.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  35.8 KB
Old 08-20-2016, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax SE
I know the egr valve can cake up runners with carbon, it happened to my Acura Cl. the individual egr ports for each cylinder were at the top of each runner in the plenum so when I took off the intake manifold there was the same black crud as in the tailpipe as it was inside the runners. Mine looked realy bad with 200k miles however, I was chipping the black stuff from the runners. That same motor wouldn't burn oil in its 7k mile oil changes( okay mabye about a half a quart or so). I bet that black *** oil didn't help one bit either.
Thanks for the insight. This is what I was getting at. Makes sense.

Probably a combination of the EGR dumping exhaust gas back into the intake and less than stellar oil change intervals. She runs pretty darn good in spite of this though. And very little oil consumption if any from what I've seen so far. Loving that. The '03 motor didn't do EGR the same way.

Eventually I will pull it all back out and manually clean the lower intake out. Can't leave it like that now that I've seen it .
Old 08-20-2016, 08:51 AM

"I didn't do any work, don't know how it works, but I make threads."
This is not me. Lots of research and even more work gets done before I start a thread. It's a last resort.