5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bought BC coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 10:02 AM

Bought BC coilovers

Well finally after owning the car for about 2.5 years, Ive got a set of used coilovers which I will be installing very soon. Will post before and after pics once its done by end of week. Any suggestions before putting these on? The guy whom I bought it off had the preload all set so he said don't mess with those too much and also the ride height is pretty nice so once I have it on the car, I will adjust it accordingly. Just need to pressure wash em before I put them on lol
Old 08-21-2016, 10:03 AM

So I washed them and had them installed

Well guys, as promised, here are some pics after install
Before

After

I will be raising the front this week and dialing things out, its fairly stiff, im hitting the front inner fender on pretty much every bump and lock to lock when turning. Also had a front strut brace installed since it was dirt cheap. Will post updated pics in a week or do
Old 08-21-2016, 03:10 PM

Very nice, best coilovers for the money, Had them when they first came out, thinking about getting them again for my next years revamping of my ride.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:26 PM

Very nice.

They are on my list when the tein ss coilovers hit 180,000 km
Old 08-21-2016, 06:45 PM

low rider
Old 08-21-2016, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by 03VQMAX
Very nice, best coilovers for the money, Had them when they first came out, thinking about getting them again for my next years revamping of my ride.
Nice! How long did you have them for? how much mileage did you put on them? Any issues with them? Did you have them year round? Im thinking of getting coilover covers to protect them during the winter since ill be having them on all year long

Originally Posted by george__
Very nice.

They are on my list when the tein ss coilovers hit 180,000 km
Cool!! Your Tein's will have a total of 180k kms on it?!?!?!?!? Thats insane!!!!

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
low rider
Well something like that lol
Old 08-24-2016, 07:09 AM

Way too low in the front for me. Can the front wheels even turn to steer? It looks like it'd scrape your fender.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by rbaksi
Way too low in the front for me. Can the front wheels even turn to steer? It looks like it'd scrape your fender.
yea like wow....
Old 08-24-2016, 11:33 AM
Sponsor

BC are great coilovers. Our most popular selling coilovers for the maxima. Good luck with them and enjoy them!
Old 08-25-2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by rbaksi
Originally Posted by Prophecy99
yea like wow....
Yup sure does, what happened is I bought them used and left it the way the previous owner had it. Once my mechanic slapped them on, I was like yea front is way too low but I ran out of time and had to be somewhere so left it as is. Ive been driving around and its good for the most part until you have to do a full lock, that's when it scrapes. I will be getting it raised either today or tomorrow and will post updated pics.
Originally Posted by JM AUTO RACING
BC are great coilovers. Our most popular selling coilovers for the maxima. Good luck with them and enjoy them!
Thanks man, yea loving them so far, car feels like its on rails now vs the OEM titanic feel haha
Old 08-25-2016, 05:20 PM

Had them for 25K miles, I'd say 2yrs, only issue I had was when they were manufactured, they put the camber plates(top mounts) backwards, I swapped sides, no biggie. never had issue, even got custom spring rates after a year.

Originally Posted by thenewguyy
Nice! How long did you have them for? how much mileage did you put on them? Any issues with them? Did you have them year round? Im thinking of getting coilover covers to protect them during the winter since ill be having them on all year long

Cool!! Your Tein's will have a total of 180k kms on it?!?!?!?!? Thats insane!!!!

Well something like that lol
Old 08-25-2016, 09:03 PM

Had them for 25K miles, I'd say 2yrs, only issue I had was when they were manufactured, they put the camber plates(top mounts) backwards, I swapped sides, no biggie. never had issue, even got custom spring rates after a year.
The swift springs? Mine are stock. ok so a little update. So initially i had a mechanic who I dont go to often but trust him with his work and word. He installed the coilovers and they bolted on fine so everything was good. I wanted to get them higher but ran outta time and he wasnt able to do so. Fast forward to today, went to another guy who was much knowledgeable regarding coilovers. Well he was gonna raise the car for me at the height I wanted. He tried everything but the bottom rotating collar would not budge. Heres the wierd/scary part. The spring was literally just floating in the air!!! Like you could move it up and down and rotate it without any pressure!! Is that normal??? Arent you supposed to make the springs hand tight and then lock it in place?? The guy I bought them off said to me, oh when the car is loaded they wont be moving around, is that even the right way to do that?? Having the spin so freely when theres no load? I shoulda made a video showing what I saw, my friend goes your lucky cause this couldve been a big mess. So the guy I bought them off goes he doesnt raise the car from the bottom collar but by spinning the top collars?!?!? Man im like ive seen a 100 videos, none of them did it that way so weve got everything sorted for now, its still lower than I want since the bottom collars are seized.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:18 PM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

You have to adjust the preload the spring should not be loose at all. Have to adjust preload on all of them when I bought mines it was great but when I adjusted the preload it was even better my **** was bouncing all over the ****ing place
Old 08-28-2016, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by thenewguyy
The swift springs? Mine are stock. ok so a little update. So initially i had a mechanic who I dont go to often but trust him with his work and word. He installed the coilovers and they bolted on fine so everything was good. I wanted to get them higher but ran outta time and he wasnt able to do so. Fast forward to today, went to another guy who was much knowledgeable regarding coilovers. Well he was gonna raise the car for me at the height I wanted. He tried everything but the bottom rotating collar would not budge. Heres the wierd/scary part. The spring was literally just floating in the air!!! Like you could move it up and down and rotate it without any pressure!! Is that normal??? Arent you supposed to make the springs hand tight and then lock it in place?? The guy I bought them off said to me, oh when the car is loaded they wont be moving around, is that even the right way to do that?? Having the spin so freely when theres no load? I shoulda made a video showing what I saw, my friend goes your lucky cause this couldve been a big mess. So the guy I bought them off goes he doesnt raise the car from the bottom collar but by spinning the top collars?!?!? Man im like ive seen a 100 videos, none of them did it that way so weve got everything sorted for now, its still lower than I want since the bottom collars are seized.
No swift springs, regular springs, just uped the spring rate. Springs should NOT be loose.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by JonBlz
You have to adjust the preload the spring should not be loose at all. Have to adjust preload on all of them when I bought mines it was great but when I adjusted the preload it was even better my **** was bouncing all over the ****ing place
No swift springs, regular springs, just uped the spring rate. Springs should NOT be loose.

Its funny, my mechanic who installed it and the original owner whom I bough it off said, yea its loose when there no load but once the weight of the car is on, theyre not loose, but im looking at all these videos and no where does it say that's the proper way. I had someone else inpect it and hes like what the heck, the damn loose is just bouncing around with my hand, im like I don't know, I thought that's how it was since I really didn't know how the coilovers were properly installed, complete *** at that but I thought my mechanic woulve pointed it out or have known but I guess he didn't. The original owner says that's how I always drove it?!?!? lol man just so much confusion. Anyways, its been tightened up now, but Im not able to raise the car much since everything is really tight, like the lower lock nut finaly came loose but spinning the strut to raise the car is a bi@#% so im thinking of completely taking it off, getting them fully serviced and lubed and then go from there. Oh another thing, the driver side damping **** is just spinning freely, no clicks of any sort. Theres some stuff out there on how to fix it but another thing to deal with which I didnt want to. The car is perfectly fine, fairly stiff but rides nice and ive started taking corners harder so definitely am loving that aspect plus of course the looks lol