5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nexus Tablet as Stereo Unit... Still a good mod?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:57 PM

Nexus Tablet as Stereo Unit... Still a good mod?

Hey given how it's been a while since people started doing the tablet install as their stereo. Just wanted your opinion on if it's still a decent unit in 2016. There are a lot of touch screen units these days that aren't too expensive. Would you all still do a Nexus install today? Or for that matter, is there a new update tablet as stereo that could be done today? Just your thoughts. Tablet or Regular touch screen?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by NYTooCooL
Hey given how it's been a while since people started doing the tablet install as their stereo. Just wanted your opinion on if it's still a decent unit in 2016. There are a lot of touch screen units these days that aren't too expensive. Would you all still do a Nexus install today? Or for that matter, is there a new update tablet as stereo that could be done today? Just your thoughts. Tablet or Regular touch screen?
I am planning a tablet install soon, in waiting to get a nexus tablet in my data plan so that my car will have 4g and ability to wifi hotspot. I will be running all my music through the Spotify app for 320kbs music rates and not to mention a "native in-car" google maps is a plus.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:01 AM

This is interesting. These days, I'd suggest getting a Nvidia Shield tablet since it can run a Plex server as well so it can hold as many other media files you wish besides Spotify. And for the wifi, I'd suggest a $50 wifi hotspot that is $50/month for 10 Gb from MetroPCS.

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2016, 09:43 AM

I like this idea. This would take a level of propellerhead geekery far beyond my capabilities, but how cool would it be to incorporate different screens, like one for an OBD2 interface, climate control, maintenance records...
Old 09-28-2016, 10:04 AM

I ran an tablet in my RX8 for an OBD2 dashboard. It was straight piped though, so no need for music.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by NYTooCooL
Originally Posted by MadMax SE
I am planning a tablet install soon, in waiting to get a nexus tablet in my data plan so that my car will have 4g and ability to wifi hotspot. I will be running all my music through the Spotify app for 320kbs music rates and not to mention a "native in-car" google maps is a plus.
Please keep posting on your guys' research, I'd be really interested in what you find to be the best solution. I'm also looking into upgrading from the stock bose setup. The tablet route seems like a great idea and cost appropriate. Although most threads I've been able to find are several years old.....so like you I'm wondering if there's a better solution out there than the Nexus tablet.

Here are some threads/sites I've found so far. Of course the audio section has a lot too.

https://maxima.org/forums/audio-elec...oting-faq.html

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/max...-headunit.html

Old 09-29-2016, 09:16 AM

I did it. . ..
but the nexus lagged too often for it to be completely worthwhile.

I have decided to go the raspberry pi route now
Old 09-29-2016, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by King_Ten_Ahead
I have decided to go the raspberry pi route now
Had no idea what that was until now. Just read through the faq section.

Please, tell us more.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:17 PM

The nexus can be rooted and degunked of preloaded software and can run alot faster. A custom ROM will do wonders for a DIY like this. You get so much more customizability.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:21 AM

@MadMax SE
The tablet was rooted and had Timur's ROM. When it worked well, it was amazing. When it lagged, I wanted to tear my hair out.

The raspberry pi is a cheap computer of sorts that allows you to buy all kinds of parts to customize the build. Search "icarus raspberry pi" on google and that should bring up an entire car kit. Wayyy more bang for your buck than any head unit even close in price IMHO.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:08 PM

Bringing this back because I'm getting closer to doing SOMETHING.....and I've been looking at head units.

King_Ten, have you ever installed a system using the raspberry pi? Or have you used the raspberry iCarus? http://i-carus.com/
Old 11-08-2018, 12:01 PM

Bumping because I've done nothing since last year......but still looking for suggestions if anyone has any?
Old 11-09-2018, 03:53 AM

I use the LG G-pad. It has 4glte for streaming and a full size USB for external DAC's. I'm very pleased with it.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Theslaking
I use the LG G-pad. It has 4glte for streaming and a full size USB for external DAC's. I'm very pleased with it.
Interesting. I just googled that and it has some pretty bad reviews. What apps are you running on it?
Old 01-31-2019, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by TSelanne
Interesting. I just googled that and it has some pretty bad reviews. What apps are you running on it?
I'm not doing anything super cool with it yet. Just running a Fiio DAC and basic apps. Torque, Tidal, Maps, and some audio apps. But you can use the mini and full size usb at the same time. So for me it's awesome. I have had no problems with it. I've owned it several years. When on road trips I stream movies, navigate, and output music at the same time(for rear seat entertainment). It handles all that with no problem. I recently looked in to getting an updated tablet but none of the new ones meet my requirements which is sad. The next thing I'm doing is making a Moto Mod that has a digital output, usb, and sd card slot. Yes regular people can make their own mods with the Mods Developer Kit. Then I'll be able to put a mod in each car and just hook my phone to it.

Last edited by Theslaking; 01-31-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:44 AM

When my Sound Monitor head unit gets back from a maintenance repair I will be hooing up the steering wheel controls and mating it with the car.