5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Top End Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:46 PM

Top End Refresh

So I'm a guy who has to tinker with my car, otherwise I just get bored and don't really want it. So I was thinking of doing a top end refresh: new spark plugs, new valve cover gaskets, new intake gaskets, throttle body gasket etc. Now if I were to do the spark plugs, I would obviously replace the valve cover gasket while I'm back there, but I might as well replace the whole cover as the front cover is slowly weeping oil out from the spark plug seals. So I assume the rear is the same way. But as I am currently in college with no job, I can't just throw down $100 on a new valve cover, so I'm wondering if I should just change the gasket and call it good. Otherwise if I had to replace the cover, I would buy a used one that is known not to leak.

Oh, and I also want to do a new fuel filter (already did research and watched videos on that, seems easy).

I'm fine with leaving the front valve cover leak until I can replace that as it's super simple to remove. But just don't know what I should do about the rear valve cover. Would like to do this as cheap as possible.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:15 PM

Skip the TB gasket. No need to mess with it if it isn't a problem. Only do what's essential since you're on a budget. If the front VC is leaking, chances are the back one is too. Of course, it'll be confirmed once you open everything up. The consensus around here is to upgrade to 6th gen covers. Not sure how much a used one is and what kind of shape it'll be in. My theory is if a part requires a good amount of effort to get to, like the rear VC, use the best replacement part and do the job once.

Last edited by mclasser; 09-14-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:17 PM
Bad *** Newb

Buy the tube seals, drill out the cover with a hole saw and replace them. Replace the gasket or just use RTV on both sides of original (assuming it's not shot, I RTV everything, gaskets are a waste of money).
There's no point replacing IM gasket (either it's fine or more RTV lol). Fuel filter is likely a waste of money, pull it out and see (mine are always completely clean). You won't be touching the TB, so you don't touch the gasket.

Focus on precats if you still have them.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 09-14-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by mclasser
Skip the TB gasket. No need to mess with it if it isn't a problem. Only do what's essential since you're on a budget. If the front VC is leaking, chances are the back one is too. Of course, it'll be confirmed once you open everything up. The consensus around here is to upgrade to 6th gen covers. Not sure how much a used one is and what kind of shape it'll be in. My theory is if a part requires a good amount of effort to get to, like the rear VC, use the best replacement part and do the job once.
Ok, I'll skip the TB gasket then lol. I was thinking of just replacing the the rear cover, just so I don't have to have to go back there again. But still don't want to throw down all that money on it. I'll see what happens, thanks for the advice.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Buy the tube seals, drill out the cover with a hole saw and replace them. Replace the gasket or just use RTV on both sides of original (assuming it's not shot, I RTV everything, gaskets are a waste of money).
There's no point replacing IM gasket (either it's fine or more RTV lol). Fuel filter is likely a waste of money, pull it out and see (mine are always completely clean). You won't be touching the TB, so you don't touch the gasket.

Focus on precats if you still have them.
I don't think I would go the drilling method, I know I'd screw up lol. But it's good to know I won't need as many gaskets as I thought. I will for sure replace the VC gaskets as there's residual oil just above the exhast manifolds. I'm not much of an RTV guy, too messy for me lol.

Ah yes, precats. Forgot about them, I will address them before anything else. Is the only way to get rid of them with headers, or can you weld drill them out or something?
Old 09-15-2016, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaNoob1
Is the only way to get rid of them with headers, or can you weld drill them out or something?
Yep, find headers (time consuming and expensive), or drill 'em out (doable and costs nothing but time) - lots of threads on this one, many have pictures.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by TSelanne
Yep, find headers (time consuming and expensive), or drill 'em out (doable and costs nothing but time) - lots of threads on this one, many have pictures.
I'll probably go with with the drilling method if it came down to it. Unless I found a set of cheap, used headers. Then again, I've never seen what the precut looks like or how hard it would be to drill it out so who knows. Nothing is gonna happen for awhile until probably winter break.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:00 AM

dont forget to upgrade to 6th gen valve covers if u replace the VC's better design , no leak
Old 09-15-2016, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
dont forget to upgrade to 6th gen valve covers if u replace the VC's better design , no leak
Ok will do, thanks!
Old 09-15-2016, 09:18 AM

if u get hit w modding but at any time while doing the spark plugs and this upper end refresh (i know ur on budget) do the NWP intake manifold spacers ( to do spark plugs replcaements you access that area and it is ideal if not the only time it makes sense to do those) they are an amazing mod that you feel in town, on highway across entire rpm range.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:20 PM

if u get hit w modding but at any time while doing the spark plugs and this upper end refresh (i know ur on budget) do the NWP intake manifold spacers ( to do spark plugs replcaements you access that area and it is ideal if not the only time it makes sense to do those) they are an amazing mod that you feel in town, on highway across entire rpm range.
No modding for me lol. Did that with my last car (Grand Prix GT, 3800 Series II), and spent all the money on parts only for the trans to die. And the trans in the Maxima isn't strong either. So just regular maintenance to make it last as long as possible.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:32 PM

Right now I'm on car-part.com looking for a used valve cover from an 04-08. Found a lot for about $35, and I have turned down a lot of people because they either avoided the question "Do the spark plug tube seals leak?" or just said "They look good." So I'm still doing some searching.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:29 PM

id bet this gens auto is way better than the last platform you had, but i hear ya. budget and mods dont usually go together either.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:49 PM

id bet this gens auto is way better than the last platform you had, but i hear ya. budget and mods dont usually go together either.
Yeah, the 4T65E tranny is not very good. Lots of problems if not dealt with properly.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:06 AM

Right now I'm on car-part.com looking for a used valve cover from an 04-08. Found a lot for about $35, and I have turned down a lot of people because they either avoided the question "Do the spark plug tube seals leak?" or just said "They look good." So I'm still doing some searching.
I wouldn't reuse 10 year old tube seals no matter what the seller said. Even if they weren't leaking they probably will after being disturbed. Just replace the tube seals.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
I wouldn't reuse 10 year old tube seals no matter what the seller said. Even if they weren't leaking they probably will after being disturbed. Just replace the tube seals.
Yeah, that's true. I just read the write-up for replacing the tube seals and it doesn't seem that bad. I thought you had to drill the actual seal out, not the baffle. I'm just gonna replace the seals in that case. One thing that kind of worries me is how easily the baffle can break off.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:01 PM

Yeah, that's true. I just read the write-up for replacing the tube seals and it doesn't seem that bad. I thought you had to drill the actual seal out, not the baffle. I'm just gonna replace the seals in that case. One thing that kind of worries me is how easily the baffle can break off.
It's not that bad.
Practice on your old one first.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
It's not that bad.
Practice on your old one first.
I'm gonna practice on a spare piece of plastic until I'd do it to my VC's. If I drill them, I'm not gonna buy a different VC.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:45 AM

So far I have bought the tube seals off PartsGeek and just got some NGK G-Powers 5018 off eBay for $30. I'm gonna buy the VC gaskets this weekend and I should be good. I'll get some RTV at the parts store too.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:45 PM

Ok, I've read the write-up from R&D on replacing the tube seals several times now, but I don't know if the ones I bought will fit the way they did theirs. I bought the Fel-Pro ones, and the look different than what R&D's tube seals look like. I found a video on YT that have the same seals as me, but his video seems sketchy AF.

He drilled all the way to the bottom of the cover. The pics R&D used, it doesn't show a hollow cavity, there's always like an edge even after the seal was removed. I don't know if I should follow R&D or this guy. Anyone who has drilled theirs out please let me know what you guys did.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:53 PM
Bad *** Newb

I would make a template so you're not chewing up the edge like he did. Smooth it down a little if necessary and some RTV would make sure it doesn't leak. Pretty quick job.