5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Test drove a 2003 6 Speed, have some questions

Old 09-20-2016, 04:05 PM

Test drove a 2003 6 Speed, have some questions

So I just test drove a 2003 6 Speed Titanium Edition, and have a couple questions.

1. The handbrake felt very very loose compared to my 2000 Maxima. Is this normal or should it feel relatively the same.

2. Car kept jerking when letting off the gas or barely pressing it in second. Maybe this is car specific as I have not had this issue in other manuals.

3. The car has very low km's (Less than 140k) so it's not likely that the precats are dangerously clogged yet right?

4. Even though 2002 Maxima does not have a titanium model will some of them still have; HLSD, metal pedals, memory seats, etc?

Thanks

Last edited by flames101sully; 09-20-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by flames101sully
So I just test drove a 2003 6 Speed Titanium Edition, and have a couple questions.

1. The handbrake felt very very loose compared to my 2000 Maxima. Is this normal or should it feel relatively the same.

2. Car kept jerking when letting off the gas or barely pressing it in second. Maybe this is car specific as I have not had this issue in other manuals.

3. The car has very low km's (Less than 140k) so it's not likely that the precats are dangerously clogged yet right?

4. Even though 2002 Maxima does not have a titanium model will some of them still have; HLSD, metal pedals, memory seats, etc?

Thanks
The handbrake on mine is soft not hard like many car, my car does shake if you are not used to the clutch but only when you g in to first and accelerate. Yes pre cat can be bad by that time. Im assuming you checked other things like radiator support etc.
for the furth one i have no idea about anything other than check the plate under the hood to see if its hlsd
Old 09-20-2016, 05:19 PM

my handbrake was **** when the brakes got low. was much better when i put on new pads. not saying that's the problem, but it can contribute
Old 09-20-2016, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by cornholio
my handbrake was **** when the brakes got low. was much better when i put on new pads. not saying that's the problem, but it can contribute
Interesting you say that because i need a brake change and i just ordered all parts...
Old 09-20-2016, 06:42 PM

The handbrake can be adjusted. I wouldn't let it be a deal killer on a nice car.

Could be a mount. You might feel it in 2nd more because of the gearing and responsiveness of that gear. It doesn't sound normal though. Hard to tell from a brief description.

Others will answer better than I can.

Yes. Pretty much all the 6-speeds that went to Canada were equipped with HLSD. Maybe all of them. The HLSD cars came with the metal pedals for both years. You could get an 02 just as loaded as an 03 as far as I know. Certainly the major options.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Thanks,

Yeah for the jerking in second gear, I asked about it while driving and he thought I was still holding the clutch, I let it go as soon as I shifted. It could be the way I drove it of course, idk going to test drive another 6spd to see if that is still the case. Perhaps I have to be very gentle on letting out the accelerator.

Originally Posted by cornholio
Thanks. It's possible, brakes seemed fine when drivng it though.

Originally Posted by sebastian2041
The handbrake on mine is soft not hard like many car, my car does shake if you are not used to the clutch but only when you g in to first and accelerate. Yes pre cat can be bad by that time. Im assuming you checked other things like radiator support etc.
for the furth one i have no idea about anything other than check the plate under the hood to see if its hlsd
Thanks, so perhaps the handbrake is just different from the 00'. Yep first thing I did was check under the hood and it does have HLSD.

Last edited by flames101sully; 09-20-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:30 AM

Yes. Pretty much all the 6-speeds that went to Canada were equipped with HLSD. Maybe all of them. The HLSD cars came with the metal pedals for both years. You could get an 02 just as loaded as an 03 as far as I know. Certainly the major options.
But...my fancy door sills, titanium shift surround, and bright finish wheels.

lol
Old 09-21-2016, 07:38 AM

Thanks,

Thanks, so perhaps the handbrake is just different from the 00'. Yep first thing I did was check under the hood and it does have HLSD.
There's a nut at the bottom of the brake lever to adjust it.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:50 AM

There's a nut at the bottom of the brake lever to adjust it.
I found that out the hard way. I thought that nut held the e-brake handle on so I started loosing it until I gave up. And I had 0 e-brake lol. Then I tightened it too much, but eventually found the sweet spot.

Last edited by MaximaNoob1; 09-21-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:36 PM

Not all 6 speeds that came here to Canada were HLSD equipped. I have seen many that didn't have the option. Easiest way to check is open the hood and above the Clutch Master Cylinder there is a plate on the firewall. HLSD equipped 6 speeds will have an H at the end of the transmission number. Derrick is right though when he said that you could get an 02 with all the same options as an 03 ti. The Titanium edition is just an appearance package not much to it. You could get an hlsd in the base SE even with the cloth seats. I can't remember how much the option was back then but IF my memory serves me right (which it usually does NOT) it was around a 750-1000 dollar option, AND OR factored into one of the other weird options they had then.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:03 PM

Looking at pedals seems way easier than looking for a transmission code that not everyone knows where to look for.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaNoob1
Looking at pedals seems way easier than looking for a transmission code that not everyone knows where to look for.
The problem with that is that the pedals can be swapped pretty easily. I've seen people swap them in both directions just because they like one or the other.

The best way, as brudface said, is to check the code. Even then you can't be 100% sure though. The 02/03 cars had tranny problems so you never know if someone did a low budget swap with the cheapest tranny they could find. You'd really have to check the code on the tranny itself or take it for a drive if you really know what you're looking for.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:00 PM

As far as the jerk on acceleration. That's a sign of worn motor mounts. This is noticed mostly in 1st or 2nd gear.

For checking HLSD, like someone said checking pedals isn't the best way. Look at the vin plate on the firewall to check.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Max139617
As far as the jerk on acceleration. That's a sign of worn motor mounts. This is noticed mostly in 1st or 2nd gear.

For checking HLSD, like someone said checking pedals isn't the best way. Look at the vin plate on the firewall to check.
Asked about the pedals, and they said that they didn't change them. Looked at the firewall and it did end in H.

Forgot to ask a question, but how dirty should the engine be at this low km's? Here is the ad of the one I test drove http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Nissan/M...PO&orup=1_15_2

Possible oil leak? I know the 5.5's are prone to burning oil. Perhaps it's just the color of the cover, but my 5th gen still doesn't look that dirty and has way more kms. Asked if anything was currently wrong with it, and just the squeaky brake apparantly.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:44 AM

Asked about the pedals, and they said that they didn't change them. Looked at the firewall and it did end in H.

Forgot to ask a question, but how dirty should the engine be at this low km's? Here is the ad of the one I test drove http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Nissan/M...PO&orup=1_15_2

Possible oil leak? I know the 5.5's are prone to burning oil. Perhaps it's just the color of the cover, but my 5th gen still doesn't look that dirty and has way more kms. Asked if anything was currently wrong with it, and just the squeaky brake apparantly.
Most owners wouldn't even know valve cover was leaking with the engine cover on. It's a bad picture to say the least but it does look like the front VCG will need to be changed. The engine can be cleaned up with some degreaser.

The rest of the car looks to be in good shape. If you end up buying it well have exactly the same car down to the color. Talk him down to $3500-$4000 and you go home with a new maxima. Good Luck op
Old 09-22-2016, 03:46 AM

A worn front and rear mount will cause the car to jerk, however with ES inserts I still jerk very little under acceleration. My passenger mount is another story...that thing is gone. Check up on the passenger side mount and the crossmember that holds the middle of the engine/trans. The member has 4 bushings (2 front/2 back) that may go bad and cause a jerking. They are a cheap fix and with es bushings the car would feel more alive.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:23 AM

That just looks like dirt and dust on the cover with a little slop from adding oil. We are talking about a 15 year old car so it seems normal.

Oil travels down so the best way to check is to look below the VC gasket near the exhaust manifold.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:09 AM

Well after learning the other 6 Speed was not a titanium nor had HLSD, I decided to get this one... And I was too late.

Looks like I will be joining you 5.5 Gen Manuals another time.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:43 PM

Well after learning the other 6 Speed was not a titanium nor had HLSD, I decided to get this one... And I was too late.

Looks like I will be joining you 5.5 Gen Manuals another time.
That sucks, If you find a nice 6-speed non-HLSD you can always swap in an 04+ s-speed HLSD tranny. That's a very nice upgrade and direct swap. You should be able to find one in a Canadian salvage yard.