5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 power window issue. Goes down by itself when trying to roll up window.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 01:12 AM

2003 power window issue. Goes down by itself when trying to roll up window.

My 2003 maxima is having the following problem;

When I try to power up the front drivers window, once I get it to the fully closed position, it powers back down by itself about 4 inches.

My first thought was that it was a switch.

My mechanic said I said I should do a bit of research before replacing the switch.

Any insight on what may be causing this?
Old 10-08-2016, 01:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my 2002 se passenger side front window would do that from time to time after I installed the weathertech shades, when it I used the auto close. so after a few test closing while standing on that side, I noticed the window sorta scraped just as it closed and would back down. I cleaned the track at the point it scraped and pryed with my hand outward and squeezed the weatherstrip to give the window more room. this seems to work, as it now closes fine.
hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphinride

When I try to power up the front drivers window, once I get it to the fully closed position, it powers back down by itself about 4 inches.

My mechanic said I said I should do a bit of research before replacing the switch.

Take off door panel, or at least the switch finisher(grey housing for switch), you're going to see a black button to reset window motor. Let me locate the correct steps hold on.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:20 AM

STEP 3: Make sure the window is closed (up) completely. Turn the ignition on so the windows are receiving power. a) Press the reset switch (and keep it pressed in) and open (down) the window completely (manually -NOT with AUTO ONE TOUCH DOWN FUNCTION). b) Release the reset switch. Then close the window completely (manually only - NOT AUTO UP). c) The limit switch is now reset. Easy!!!
Old 10-13-2016, 04:33 PM

Ive had this issue on my 13. Sometimes the window will stop about half way up and i can't roll it all the way up. I learned that I have to reset the window module with the window up/down switch. Its something like up down hold up or something like that.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey, I had the same problem most likely your master windows switch is faulty for the window or the window switch for the window your having problems with burnt out the circuit that makes it go up. at on point i had one that brings the window down and the other brought it up. hope it helped.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Icykilla1
Hey, I had the same problem most likely your master windows switch is faulty for the window or the window switch for the window your having problems with burnt out the circuit that makes it go up. at on point i had one that brings the window down and the other brought it up. hope it helped.
I agree with this other post - check the master switch. That was the problem on my Sienna. Door switch was fine but master was forcing the window to try and close.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Verified fix

This video shows someone showing the reset switch through the plastic vapor shield under the door panel. Can be fixed without removing the door panel and just using a flathead screw driver and a couple minutes.