5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 06:53 PM

Cruise control

I have a 2000 GLE. The set cruise control button does not work or turn on the light. Could it be the bumper on the brake, the button itself, or the control module. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by VQ35maxima=Beast
I have a 2000 GLE. The set cruise control button does not work or turn on the light. Could it be the bumper on the brake, the button itself, or the control module. Thanks for the feedback.
I would start with a fuse first.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:51 PM

It would not be the bumper on the brake pedal.

It could be the switch on the steering wheel.

It could be a fuse, check fuses number 2, 10, 12, 30 and 57. #57 is under the hood, labeled HORN.
fuse layout diagram - see page 3 - http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Max...00/foldout.pdf

See page 202 for troubleshooting chart -
http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2000/EL.pdf
Old 10-11-2016, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
It would not be the bumper on the brake pedal.

It could be the switch on the steering wheel.

It could be a fuse, check fuses number 2, 10, 12, 30 and 57. #57 is under the hood, labeled HORN.
fuse layout diagram - see page 3 - http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Max...00/foldout.pdf

See page 202 for troubleshooting chart -
I just checked all the fuses, they were good. Can't find the ASCD module, is it up under the counter console? And could it be a relay for the system? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:06 PM

The ASCD module is under the radio, sitting on top of the TCM. See page 342 -

You pull out the ash tray and you will see it. If my memory serves me, you will also have to take the radio out to be able to do anything with it.

If I understood you correctly, your problem is that the CRUISE light does not come on. This means that the ASCD module is not getting any power for the printed circuit board inside. There is no relay for this, power comes direct from fuses and the steering wheel switch.

Since the fuses are good, that leaves the on/off switch, the clock spring and the ASCD module itself as suspects.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:41 PM

The ASCD module is under the radio, sitting on top of the TCM. See page 342 -

You pull out the ash tray and you will see it. If my memory serves me, you will also have to take the radio out to be able to do anything with it.

If I understood you correctly, your problem is that the CRUISE light does not come on. This means that the ASCD module is not getting any power for the printed circuit board inside. There is no relay for this, power comes direct from fuses and the steering wheel switch.

Since the fuses are good, that leaves the on/off switch, the clock spring and the ASCD module itself as suspects.
The cruise light comes on, but the SET light does not come on.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:43 PM

The cruise light comes on, but the SET light does not come on.
Sorry my fault, I should've been more specific in my op
Old 10-15-2016, 02:06 PM

Ok, now we're both on the same path. Fuses and power is not an issue. The first thing to check is the ASCD cancel switch on the brake pedal (and another one on the clutch pedal if you have manual trans.

Get down in the driver's footwell and look up the brake pedal. You will see two switches mounted in the mess up there. What you want to look for is on the brake pedal arm. There is a rubber stopper on the arm that touches and operates the switch. Is it there? These stoppers dry up and fall out and that is telling the ASCD control module that you have your foot on the brake pedal. If you have manual trans, check for this same situation on the clutch pedal.

Name:  Brake_switch_area.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  48.5 KB

(photo courtesy Nelsito65)

Last edited by DennisMik; 10-15-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:14 AM

Ok, now we're both on the same path. Fuses and power is not an issue. The first thing to check is the ASCD cancel switch on the brake pedal (and another one on the clutch pedal if you have manual trans.

Get down in the driver's footwell and look up the brake pedal. You will see two switches mounted in the mess up there. What you want to look for is on the brake pedal arm. There is a rubber stopper on the arm that touches and operates the switch. Is it there? These stoppers dry up and fall out and that is telling the ASCD control module that you have your foot on the brake pedal. If you have manual trans, check for this same situation on the clutch pedal.

(photo courtesy Nelsito65)
Got a 2 new switches from the junk yard, didn't work. Checked the brake switch and the bumper wasn't in there, so I threw one on there and it still isn't setting. Could it be the brake switch itself that is bad, or the module?
Old 10-16-2016, 09:21 PM

Any and all parts are to be considered bad until you troubleshoot the problem and find the exact part that is bad.

Get out your multimeter and check the ASCD cancel switch on the brake pedal that it has been adjusted properly and operates properly. Whenever you change the stopper or the switch, you have to make sure the switch is adjusted so that the switch contacts open when you step on the brake pedal and then close when you take your foot off of the brake pedal. When your foot is off the brake pedal, the switch must be adjusted so that the brake pedal is not resting against the switch.

Also, use the multimeter to check that the SET button on the steering wheel works.

Other parts that could be a problem are the transmission park/neutral switch, the park/neutral position relay, the ASCD control module and any wiring that is part of the cruise control, such as the spiral cable in the steering column.

Personally, I think you need to focus on the brake pedal switch. Since the rubber stopper had fallen out, you probably don't have the adjustment correct.

And/or if you replaced the switch with one from the junkyard, make sure that you used the one for the ASCD. The brake light switch will not work for cruise control.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:39 PM

Any and all parts are to be considered bad until you troubleshoot the problem and find the exact part that is bad.

Get out your multimeter and check the ASCD cancel switch on the brake pedal that it has been adjusted properly and operates properly. Whenever you change the stopper or the switch, you have to make sure the switch is adjusted so that the switch contacts open when you step on the brake pedal and then close when you take your foot off of the brake pedal. When your foot is off the brake pedal, the switch must be adjusted so that the brake pedal is not resting against the switch.

Also, use the multimeter to check that the SET button on the steering wheel works.

Other parts that could be a problem are the transmission park/neutral switch, the park/neutral position relay, the ASCD control module and any wiring that is part of the cruise control, such as the spiral cable in the steering column.

Personally, I think you need to focus on the brake pedal switch. Since the rubber stopper had fallen out, you probably don't have the adjustment correct.

And/or if you replaced the switch with one from the junkyard, make sure that you used the one for the ASCD. The brake light switch will not work for cruise control.
I haven't got a junk yard brake switch yet, I got two new steering wheel switches, wasn't the problem. When the pedle is not being pushed down the switch is all the way in, when the peddle is down it's all the way out. Is it supposed to be adjusted a specific distance?
Old 10-20-2016, 03:25 PM

I haven't got a junk yard brake switch yet, I got two new steering wheel switches, wasn't the problem. When the pedle is not being pushed down the switch is all the way in, when the peddle is down it's all the way out. Is it supposed to be adjusted a specific distance?
Just pulled the brake ASCD switch, multimeter is showing ohms when the button is in.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:41 PM

When you are not stepping on the brake pedal, the switch plunger should be almost all of the way in. There should be a tiny bit of movement still possible so that the brake pedal is not resting against or being stopped by the switch. This is also what you want for the brake light switch.

Just pulled the brake ASCD switch, multimeter is showing ohms when the button is in.
That would be what you want. Check the switch while it is in the car that you get the reading without the pedal not being depressed. Sometimes switches go bad in a strange way in that they will work when you press on them by hand which exerts more force then it gets when installed. Another way to check would be to use the voltmeter and check for 12 volts on both wires when the brake pedal is not depressed. The ignition switch would have to be on, but the engine does not have to be running.

Last edited by DennisMik; 10-22-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:27 PM

When you are not stepping on the brake pedal, the switch plunger should be almost all of the way in. There should be a tiny bit of movement still possible so that the brake pedal is not resting against or being stopped by the switch. This is also what you want for the brake light switch.

That would be what you want. Check the switch while it is in the car that you get the reading without the pedal not being depressed. Sometimes switches go bad in a strange way in that they will work when you press on them by hand which exerts more force then it gets when installed. Another way to check would be to use the voltmeter and check for 12 volts on both wires when the brake pedal is not depressed. The ignition switch would have to be on, but the engine does not have to be running.
Well I got here fixed, after testing every component that could go bad on the cruise control and replacing the bumper on the brake switch and making sure it was all adjusted right. I replaced the cruise control module, and it still didn't fix it. I was lost and had just bought new tail lights and put them in. I then drove the car the next day and the cruise control finally SET. My original problem WAS the bumper on the ASCD switch, but I had just recently put in LED parking/brake lights, and when I put in my new taillights with halogens it worked! Thank you for all the help! Hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:35 PM

Congrats!

I forgot that burned out brake light bulbs or installing led lamps without resistors affects cruise control. No one seems to know why.