5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 GLE? 6SPD Misfire/Stumble

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2002 GLE? 6SPD Misfire/Stumble

Hey everyone. My stepdad has a 2002 gle(I think gle) that I have worked on over the last year trying to sort out and it is now at its worse. It has a misfire and after chasing CEL codes adn sensors I am lost as to where to go next. It was originally just a misfire on a back cylinder. I changed all spark plugs and gaskets necessary along the way. It cleared up for a couple days and then we got a code for a bad coil pack. replaced all the coil packs and gaskets again and same result. It then had a no start condition and was towed to a shop to have the keys learned back into the ECM? Now it constantly stumbles at idle and under load. You have to baby the car everywhere and now it is sometimes stalling at random. We have also replaced the knock sensor, MAF with a OEM replacement (not aftermarket), cam angle sensors, and the latest code I read was to replace one of the crank position sensors on the passenger side of the engine. I really wanted to fix this for him a long time ago but I could not continue to dump an endless amount of cash into a car that wasn't mine. We are looking at replacing the ECM as none of the mechanic shops local want to even diagnose it and we don't want to pay the stealership. Any advice is welcome and can provide additional info if necessary!

Thanks,
Coop
Old 10-11-2016, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by coop2u
Hey everyone. My stepdad has a 2002 gle(I think gle) that I have worked on over the last year trying to sort out and it is now at its worse. It has a misfire and after chasing CEL codes adn sensors I am lost as to where to go next. It was originally just a misfire on a back cylinder. I changed all spark plugs and gaskets necessary along the way. It cleared up for a couple days and then we got a code for a bad coil pack. replaced all the coil packs and gaskets again and same result. It then had a no start condition and was towed to a shop to have the keys learned back into the ECM? Now it constantly stumbles at idle and under load. You have to baby the car everywhere and now it is sometimes stalling at random. We have also replaced the knock sensor, MAF with a OEM replacement (not aftermarket), cam angle sensors, and the latest code I read was to replace one of the crank position sensors on the passenger side of the engine. I really wanted to fix this for him a long time ago but I could not continue to dump an endless amount of cash into a car that wasn't mine. We are looking at replacing the ECM as none of the mechanic shops local want to even diagnose it and we don't want to pay the stealership. Any advice is welcome and can provide additional info if necessary!

Thanks,
Coop
Your post is long on history but it does not provide much real/diagnostic data input. What's wrong with the car right now? The best I can get from your description is that "it stumbles and randomly dies". You need to give us more detail:
  • What exactly are the trouble symptoms?
  • Is the CEL on? If so, what codes are outstanding?
  • Are there any monitors that are "incomplete"? If so, what are they?
  • What is the battery voltage when the engine is not running?
  • What is the battery voltage when the engine is running (and charging the battery)?
  • Provide a list of parts replaced during the last 12-18 months, and indicate whether the replacement part was OEM or after-market (even better, just indicate the part make/source).
Old 10-12-2016, 03:51 AM

Try a fuel pressure test. Maybe you got a faulty injector. I just got done removing the injectors in my 2001 GLE and found a bad injector. They run em through a flow test and check the spray pattern and check them for leakage/failure.

You can check the circuits within the ECU with a multimeter.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by coop2u

Thanks,
Coop
If it's missing under load then take the car to a long straight away and give it some gas, you have to force codes to appear sometimes.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:30 PM

I don't think GLE's came with the manual.