5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I bought obx 3.0 for $155

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:29 AM

I bought obx 3.0 for $155

I know these aren't the best choice for our cars. But I am keeping the rest of my exhaust stock. And i think for $155 from ebay it would be worth the fitment issues. Nobody else bid on them. Worse case scenario, I'll probably have to go to a mom and pop muffler shop to do some bending or extending.
Attached Thumbnails I bought obx 3.0 for 5-20161008_122834.jpeg  
Old 10-12-2016, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by PowerTotheMax
I know these aren't the best choice for our cars. But I am keeping the rest of my exhaust stock. And i think for $155 from ebay it would be worth the fitment issues. Nobody else bid on them. Worse case scenario, I'll probably have to go to a mom and pop muffler shop to do some bending or extending.
I've read that the flange connected to the front header is usualy an issue. It's resolved by buying an extra flange and gasket using it in this order. Header>gasket>flange >gasket> rest of pipe. It gives it an extra little bit of play if needed.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax SE
I've read that the flange connected to the front header is usualy an issue. It's resolved by buying an extra flange and gasket using it in this order. Header>gasket>flange >gasket> rest of pipe. It gives it an extra little bit of play if needed.
I didn't read anything about an extra flange. But that sounds like a possible idea. I was thinking of maybe a bigger and better flex pipe in front. We shall see. I've read that some have had no issues. Shaving the crossmember is nothing.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:58 PM

Bruised, sore and full of regret. I got them on but I should've stayed away from these. It was a known fact the front flanges wouldn't meet but I thought it wasn't a big deal. I cannot drive to the muffler shop with open headers. It is way too loud. I'm afraid of being pulled over. Don't know what to do.
Attached Thumbnails I bought obx 3.0 for 5-268.jpg  
Old 10-26-2016, 05:50 AM

That's not a big deal for an exhaust shop to fix. They can cut behind the flange, bolt the flanges together and splice in a section of pipe. This should be a relatively cheap fix.

You can get some silver exhaust tape at the parts store. If you wrap it well that should get you to the exhaust shop.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
That's not a big deal for an exhaust shop to fix. They can cut behind the flange, bolt the flanges together and splice in a section of pipe. This should be a relatively cheap fix.

You can get some silver exhaust tape at the parts store. If you wrap it well that should get you to the exhaust shop.
Thanks for the advice. From searching my local oreilly and autozone online, that tape doesn't seem readily available in large amounts. But you gave me an idea: what about heat wrap? Its a little expensive but I already got myself into this mess. Will it leak too much and still be noisy? Exhaust shop is about 2 miles away.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:05 AM

2 miles away? That's nothing. Most likely you wont get pulled over, and if you do, you have a legitimate excuse. Im not saying there is no chance but it is very unlikely in that short distance.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by BlackoutSE
2 miles away? That's nothing. Most likely you wont get pulled over, and if you do, you have a legitimate excuse. Im not saying there is no chance but it is very unlikely in that short distance.
Still new at driving stick and I tend to blip the throttle too much when taking off lol
Old 10-26-2016, 09:48 AM

Still new at driving stick and I tend to blip the throttle too much when taking off lol
Oh I gotcha haha. Im not the best with stick either. 5 or 6 speed?
Old 10-26-2016, 10:03 AM

6 speed 5.5 gen.

135k miles and the precats were still intact but looks like I'm slowly burning oil.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:17 PM

I put aluminum tape and it stayed quiet for a while. Once I got out to the main road, it got loud again. I said eff it and kept going. When I arrived to the exhaust shop the tape was gone. I paid $75 to get it fixed.

On another note, to install the rear header I removed the passenger axle/carrier, rear motor mount and bracket. I'm such a n00b, I didnt know I would lose some gear oil. Cannot find any gl4 anywhere locally. Then I finally found a performance shop that sells redline mt90. Shifting is smooth as butter.

Oh and also don't drop the header on your forehead. I saw stars.

Last edited by PowerTotheMax; 10-26-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:40 PM

I put aluminum tape and it stayed quiet for a while. Once I got out to the main road, it got loud again. I said eff it and kept going. When I arrived to the exhaust shop the tape was gone. I paid $75 to get it fixed.

On another note, to install the rear header I removed the passenger axle/carrier, rear motor mount and bracket. I'm such a n00b, I didnt know I would lose some gear oil. Cannot find any gl4 anywhere locally. Then I finally found a performance shop that sells redline mt90. Shifting is smooth as butter.

Oh and also don't drop the header on your forehead. I saw stars.
They make some stuff that's stronger than the aluminum tape but none of it is designed to space a gap like that for long. At least you made it there. $75.00 isn't too bad considering the price of the headers. If I had to replace my headers today I'd go the same route.

MT90 is great stuff for the 6-speed cars. I've been running it for over 10 years and it's been great. Last year I had to get some GL4 from Nissan in a pinch and the car shifted like crap till I dumped it and went back to MT90. You can find great deals on MT90 on eBay.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
They make some stuff that's stronger than the aluminum tape but none of it is designed to space a gap like that for long. At least you made it there. $75.00 isn't too bad considering the price of the headers. If I had to replace my headers today I'd go the same route.

MT90 is great stuff for the 6-speed cars. I've been running it for over 10 years and it's been great. Last year I had to get some GL4 from Nissan in a pinch and the car shifted like crap till I dumped it and went back to MT90. You can find great deals on MT90 on eBay.
Total cost for my headers including all necessary gaskets (even uim) and hardware with weld fix was about $300 give or take. I did hit a few snags like accidentally buying gl5, finding out my spark plugs neeeded changing and tearing up my secondary o2 sensor when I jacked the car up but I guess it went pretty well.

I paid $70 for a gallon of mt90. I'm going to have to stock up from ebay.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Bad *** Newb

Total cost for my headers including all necessary gaskets (even uim) and hardware with weld fix was about $300 give or take. I did hit a few snags like accidentally buying gl5, finding out my spark plugs neeeded changing and tearing up my secondary o2 sensor when I jacked the car up but I guess it went pretty well.

I paid $70 for a gallon of mt90. I'm going to have to stock up from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Line-Syn...VYBRRu&vxp=mtr OK price.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:23 AM

My butt dyno doesn't feel that much a difference, but I can hear a faint buzzing noise when accelerating. Sounds like air. Crappy flex or the ypipe is vibrating against something. Maybe I should put a hanger. The original hanger location for the stock ypipe is not being used.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Bad *** Newb

My butt dyn doesn't feel that much a difference, but I can hear a faint buzzing noise when accelerating. Sounds like air. Crappy flex or the ypipe is vibrating against something. Maybe I should put a hanger. The original hanger location for the stock ypipe is not being used.
Flex will eventually fail from the weight (year or so is my guess).
Could be the Y making noise, check for leaks, though.

3.0s don't benefit like 3.5s, but the rest being stock probably isn't helping a lot lol

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 10-28-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Flex will eventually fail from the weight (year or so is my guess).
Could be the Y making noise, check for leaks, though.

3.0s don't benefit like 3.5s, but the rest being stock probably isn't helping a lot lol
I have a 3.5. Weight? The exhaust shop put an extension so as not to force the front flange together. Ill look closely for leaks though.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:47 AM

Ahhhh I think the front pipe is touching near the oil pan. I seem to be getting the sound also on low speed turns.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:20 AM
Bad *** Newb

I have a 3.5. Weight? The exhaust shop put an extension so as not to force the front flange together. Ill look closely for leaks though.
Oh, hmmm. Time for intake, test pipe, catback and bop.

Weight of the exhaust pulling on the flex. There's no support between the header and end of the resonator.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:41 AM

Oh, hmmm. Time for intake, test pipe, catback and bop.

Weight of the exhaust pulling on the flex. There's no support between the header and end of the resonator.
Oh believe me, I would love a 3" exhaust but I'm cheap. Plus the wife barely approved of me buying headers and coilovers.

Yea you may be right. If it does fail its not a big deal to get a better flex pipe.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:53 AM
Bad *** Newb

Oh believe me, I would love a 3" exhaust but I'm cheap. Plus the wife barely approved of me buying headers and coilovers.

Yea you may be right. If it does fail its not a big deal to get a better flex pipe.
I had it happen on a set of cheapos
What wifey doesn't know won't hurt her (seems like men are always hiding cash just to buy a few toys)
Old 10-28-2016, 12:05 PM

What wifey doesn't know won't hurt her (seems like men are always hiding cash just to buy a few toys)
If only the ebay special catbacks came in 3" I wouldn't have to hide the cash for it. We'll see though. Do you think maybe the ecu has to readjust to that extra air flow to feel the power from the headers? Maybe I just didn't push the car enough before the headers lol (my shifting still needs improvement). The car is still definitely faster than my 4th gen auto.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:10 PM
Bad *** Newb

If only the ebay special catbacks came in 3" I wouldn't have to hide the cash for it. We'll see though. Do you think maybe the ecu has to readjust to that extra air flow to feel the power from the headers? Maybe I just didn't push the car enough before the headers lol (my shifting still needs improvement). The car is still definitely faster than my 4th gen auto.
Intake and bop should make it evident. Idk what kind of gains can be expected from headers and nothing else.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:19 PM

I saw what you did there!
Old 10-28-2016, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
I saw what you did there!
didn't even catch that.

Anyway after driving a little more, there's definitely a power increase. That buzzing is making my car sound cheap. Noticed its on higher rpms only. Cruising is silent.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:09 PM
Bad *** Newb

didn't even catch that.

Anyway after driving a little more, there's definitely a power increase. That buzzing is making my car sound cheap. Noticed its on higher rpms only. Cruising is silent.
Could be a leak, then, especially with all that pressure from the rest being stock.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:49 AM

Could be a leak, then, especially with all that pressure from the rest being stock.
You're right it is a leak. And it's definitely coming from the flex pipe. I didnt even have to look that closely to see the exhaust gases coming out of it.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Being in CA, what did you do about your O2 sensors and CELs? How are you going to handle smog checks?
Old 02-23-2017, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by SquidBeak
Being in CA, what did you do about your O2 sensors and CELs? How are you going to handle smog checks?
I used sparkplug non foulers. Either way not going to pass the visual portion of the smog check. There's a way though to get around that though.

Edit: oh and i forgot to update. The weird noise was a loose o2 sensor.