5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

*** I35 bogging replaced MAF no change ***Video***

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

*** I35 bogging replaced MAF no change ***Video***

* Here is a YouTube video I uploaded

The slight knock you hear is coming from under the car in the exhaust...

Just bought car, was running like this but also hado a misfire with a bunch of codes.

I replaced the MAF, an one ignition coil an the spark plug to the dead ignition coil.

After that it no longer has the misfire but still has this situation in the video.

Almost like I'm in drive, holding the brake while reving on the gas, like it's trying to move but can't.
Like a restriction or something.

After revving on it, I can smell fumes (which I assume is expected), an there seems to be a good amount of back pressure from the exhaust. But really seems like it's getting choked out when I hit the gas....

The exhaust does have a bit of white condensation coming out of it after the revving.

Oh an after I put the new parts in I cleared all codes with my scanner.

My scanner does read an record live data so maybe if someone gives me a certain area to look at an what readings I should be getting then I can take a look an report back.

Also to see the video in HD click the 3 dots in top right.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2016, 05:46 PM
Bad *** Newb

Sounds like a precat disintegrated and is clogged at the main cat (I wonder how I know ).

Don't worry, motor is already ruined if so.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Sounds like a precat disintegrated and is clogged at the main cat (I wonder how I know ).

Don't worry, motor is already ruined if so.

LOL so your saying my motor is toast? Sounds pretty good until 2500 rpm for a "toast" motor.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:08 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Shawn Cheever
LOL so your saying my motor is toast? Sounds pretty good until 2500 rpm for a "toast" motor.
Bad maf should limit it to 2,500, but looks like it chokes at 2. Camera audio sucks, but it sounds incredibly rough. I assume they sold it b/c they couldn't figure out the problem or did...

I love to blame precats, but your description does sound like it.

Pull off the main cat and have a gander. Although, they can be clogged from oil burning on top of the precats.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 10-19-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

[QUOTE=Child_uv_KoRn;9128964]Bad maf should limit it to 2,500, but looks like it chokes at 2. Camera audio sucks, but it sounds incredibly rough. I assume they sold it b/c they couldn't figure out the problem or did...

I love to blame precats, but your description does sound like it.

As already stated maf was replaced also you can change the quality of video to 1080p or 1440p in top right corner of video.
Plus from my research with bad maf usually get high idle which I don't have. I also read just now that transmission speed sensor behind the wheel can cause this issue, I will be checking both tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:00 AM

I was dealing with an on and off maf issue, I used a new maf and it was still throwing a code, turns out my negative wire on the maf plug had a tiny slit in it and it was packed with corrosion. I just bought a new maf harness