5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car is acting very strange. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 12:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car is acting very strange. HELP!!

I'm not sure what the problem is, but when I start up my car and put it in Drive it won't move, it just revs like it is in neutral. The reverse works fine, but when I get in to go forward I have to wait a few seconds or even a minute or two in order to go forward.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:47 PM

How's the ATF level?
Old 12-04-2016, 01:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mclasser
How's the ATF level?
It looks okay to me. This is it here.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:19 PM
Bad *** Newb

Sounds like solenoid?
Old 12-04-2016, 01:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Sounds like solenoid?
What is that, and where is it located?

Last edited by Gina McDough; 12-04-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:15 PM

The oil level looks OK, but when you check the transmission oil level, the engine and transmission should be at operating temperature. You check the oil with the engine running but before you pull the dipstick, you move the transmission lever into all the positions for a second or two to make sure that all the internal passages are filled with oil. Then put the transmission lever back in park and pull the dipstick with the engine still running.

The solenoids (there are 5 of them) are inside the transmission, so the transmission has to be slightly disassembled, but the transmission does not have to be removed from the car. The solenoids are sold as a set, not as individual solenoids.

There is a built in self diagnostic for the transmission that you can run. It is not a 100% foolproof diagnostic, but it doesn't cost anything so give it a try. See pages 50 through 54 in the link below for directions.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2001/AT.pdf

If you want to see pictures of the solenoids, click on the link below an scroll down for the photos (post # 10).

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...smissions.html
Old 12-04-2016, 10:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The oil level looks OK, but when you check the transmission oil level, the engine and transmission should be at operating temperature. You check the oil with the engine running but before you pull the dipstick, you move the transmission lever into all the positions for a second or two to make sure that all the internal passages are filled with oil. Then put the transmission lever back in park and pull the dipstick with the engine still running.

The solenoids (there are 5 of them) are inside the transmission, so the transmission has to be slightly disassembled, but the transmission does not have to be removed from the car. The solenoids are sold as a set, not as individual solenoids.

There is a built in self diagnostic for the transmission that you can run. It is not a 100% foolproof diagnostic, but it doesn't cost anything so give it a try. See pages 50 through 54 in the link below for directions.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/2001/AT.pdf

If you want to see pictures of the solenoids, click on the link below an scroll down for the photos (post # 10).

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...smissions.html
Thank You. I forgot to mention that my car isn't a M_A_X_I_M_A. It's a 00 Infiniti G20 (2.0L SR20DE I4). So would the Solenoid be in a different spot to where the Transmission wouldn't have to be disassembled?
Old 12-05-2016, 10:03 PM

While the G20 does not use the exact same transmission, it is very similar in design. The solenoids in the G20 transmission are also inside the transmission, requiring some disassembly.

The transmission in your car also has a self diagnostic procedure built in. I don't know if it is different from the Maxima, so here is a link to the procedure in the G20 service manual. It starts on page 50.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Infiniti/G20/2000/AT.pdf
Old 12-06-2016, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Gina McDough
Thank You. I forgot to mention that my car isn't a M_A_X_I_M_A. It's a 00 Infiniti G20 (2.0L SR20DE I4). So would the Solenoid be in a different spot to where the Transmission wouldn't have to be disassembled?
Your car is suffering from what is referred to as "morning sickness." Now, the model of the tranny in your car is RE4F03B. That in the Maxima is RE4F04B. Very much alike no doubt. You could solve this problem by either changing the valve body or the group of 5 shift solenoids in the valve body. They come as a unit and they are: shift solenoid valve A; torque converter clutch solenoid valve; overrun clutch solenoid valve; shift solenoid valve B; line pressure solenoid valve. Actually the main culprit is the line pressure solenoid valve which is clogged with dirt. It has two openings at the head so you could actually proceed by trying to clean this solenoid with a carb cleaner. For this to be effective you'd have to perhaps bring out the valve body--it faces you as you open up the tranny pan. The other alternatives as I said are changing the kit of 5 solenoids( part# 31940-3AX0A) or the valve body (part# 31705-3AX00).
For guide see these. Used on Sentra

Last edited by Costee; 12-06-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Costee
Your car is suffering from what is referred to as "morning sickness." Now, the model of the tranny in your car is RE4F03B. That in the Maxima is RE4F04B. Very much alike no doubt. You could solve this problem by either changing the valve body or the group of 5 shift solenoids in the valve body. They come as a unit and they are: shift solenoid valve A; torque converter clutch solenoid valve; overrun clutch solenoid valve; shift solenoid valve B; line pressure solenoid valve. Actually the main culprit is the line pressure solenoid valve which is clogged with dirt. It has two openings at the head so you could actually proceed by trying to clean this solenoid with a carb cleaner. For this to be effective you'd have to perhaps bring out the valve body--it faces you as you open up the tranny pan. The other alternatives as I said are changing the kit of 5 solenoids( part# 31940-3AX0A) or the valve body (part# 31705-3AX00).
For guide see these. Used on Sentra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coKXoqtb0HA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE5qrl8LiVg
Thank you a bunch! Do you think changing the 5 Shift Solenoid would be easier and would fix the problem versus changing the valve body?
Old 12-06-2016, 11:13 PM

Thank you a bunch! Do you think changing the 5 Shift Solenoid would be easier and would fix the problem versus changing the valve body?
Yes it would fix the problem, the valve body is the easier fix however. But I think you could do with some comparative cost analysis here. The valve body is more expensive but takes less time to install. The longer time required to install the solenoid kit means more payment for labour, and if this is going to cancel out the advantage of the less price cost of the kit you might as well go for the valve body. Good luck.
PS. I should add that I've gone through the experience before with my 2000 G20. I went for the kit. This was in June this year, with 146,700k on the odo.

Last edited by Costee; 12-06-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Costee
Yes it would fix the problem, the valve body is the easier fix however. But I think you could do with some comparative cost analysis here. The valve body is more expensive but takes less time to install. The longer time required to install the solenoid kit means more payment for labour, and if this is going to cancel out the advantage of the less price cost of the kit you might as well go for the valve body. Good luck.
PS. I should add that I've gone through the experience before with my 2000 G20. I went for the kit. This was in June this year, with 146,700k on the odo.
Oh wow really!?! So I'm guessing this is a known issue with the g20.. SMH.. still love the car though. okay, well I was curious about the price of the Valve, so I went to autozone and advanced auto parts website, but I didn't find the part. I might be looking up the wrong name of the part or something. But when I looked up Transmission Shift Solenoid it was like 300$, so the Valve must be like 500-600$.... **��** but I'm more than likely leaning toward he valve since you say it's a little less work.

Last edited by Gina McDough; 12-06-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:17 AM

Oh wow really!?! So I'm guessing this is a known issue with the g20.. SMH.. still love the car though. okay, well I was curious about the price of the Valve, so I went to autozone and advanced auto parts website, but I didn't find the part. I might be looking up the wrong name of the part or something. But when I looked up Transmission Shift Solenoid it was like 300$, so the Valve must be like 500-600$.... **��** but I'm more than likely leaning toward he valve since you say it's a little less work.
Known all right, but not a serious issue. I'd suggest you check strictly Nissan parts websites. Here's one
https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/Pa...01842&Filter=()
If you post or pm your VIN, we could determine the precise part numbers.