5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brake pedal hard with engine off, works when on

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 07:39 AM

Brake pedal hard with engine off, works when on

Hi all.

Background: 283,500 miles. Driven infrequently - once a week, once every two weeks.

The problem: The ABS light came on about two months back, but the brakes still worked normally. I've put maybe 300 miles on it since then, and now the brake pedal goes hard INSTANTLY after turning off the ignition. Right before this happened, I replaced all the vacuum lines I could find, thinking that with as old as they were, it could be causing the ABS light, and it was less than $20, so why not?

Oh - and I took it in to get the codes read: The computer / OBDII showed NO ABS codes.

Anyway, I'm going to be driving to see my little boys for Christmas in two weeks, and I want to make sure that it's safe for them. Any advice on what to look at first is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited by jsmith24; 12-05-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:08 AM

I have no idea how long it takes for the power brakes to bleed down in any of my vehicles. It's not something I've ever tested. Is there a specification for that? About the ABS, most cars will simply shut it off if a fault is detected. I'd be more concerned about ABS being non-functional than about the bleed-down time. If you have the codes read it might indicate a particular wheel as the problem. The sensors do go bad sometimes, so hopefully it's that simple. Note that my advice here isn't specific to the Maxima. It's derived from experience with a number of my own vehicles going back 15-20 years. There may be common ABS issues with these cars that I'm not aware of, but I'm sure other members here will know.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:20 AM

All cars, including the Maxima, give at least two full presses after the engine shuts off. It's a safety precaution in case the car stalls at speed, letting you stop safely (well, more safely).

I think there should be some sort of vacuum reserve tank? I just don't know where to begin.

I'm more concerned about this over the ABS, because ABS is an option to assist in braking; braking itself isn't really an option.

Oh - and I took it in to get the codes read: The computer / OBDII showed NO ABS codes.

Jack
Old 12-05-2016, 08:38 AM
Bad *** Newb

Sounds like the check valve is bad. It's stuck open, so vac can't be maintained. It's right there on the firewall.

This also causes weak or no power brakes when it's stuck closed.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 12-05-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Sounds like the check valve is bad. It's stuck open, so vac can't be maintained. It's right there on the firewall.

Thanks. I'll Google it and see what I find!

Jack
Old 12-05-2016, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by jsmith24

Jack
Sorry, I missed that the first time. You know, some of the scanners don't read ABS. You might want to try someplace else, just to be sure.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:28 PM

Hey,

I looked online, found no fewer than five different things that Google claims to be a check valve for the Max, one of them I know for a fact is the VIAS control. Anyway, can you tell me if THIS is the culprit in question? It sits just to the left of the master cylinder and booster, if you're looking from the front of the car.

Thanks,

Jack
Is THIS the brake vacuum check valve?
Old 12-05-2016, 12:47 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by jsmith24
Hey,

I looked online, found no fewer than five different things that Google claims to be a check valve for the Max, one of them I know for a fact is the VIAS control. Anyway, can you tell me if THIS is the culprit in question? It sits just to the left of the master cylinder and booster, if you're looking from the front of the car.

It's not a common part to fail, but it happens.

Thanks,

Jack
Is THIS the brake vacuum check valve?
That's the fuel supply line.

If you follow the hose off the brake booster...

It's not a common part to fail, but it happens.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 12-05-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Bad *** Newb

In the yellow. Any check valve for that size hose will work. Whether it fits in the clip is another story. This is one of those junkyard freebie type parts.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 12-05-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:41 PM

In the yellow. Any check valve for that size hose will work. Whether it fits in the clip is another story. This is one of those junkyard freebie type parts.

Thanks for the pic. I'm not sure if it's because yours is a different year than mine, but my engine bay looks pretty different from yours, modifications notwithstanding. This is all I've got - I see nothing like what your pic showed.

The hoses marked in red were the ones I replaced, but I swear, they had nothing like that in the middle - just plain old hoses, at least as far as my naked eye could see.

Thanks for your time and continued effort!