5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Desire stock ride quality - Strut/Shock/parts recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:17 PM

Desire stock ride quality - Strut/Shock/parts recommendation?

Hello Maxima.org members,
My 2000 Maxima SE is now at 256K miles and the ride quality has begun to deteriorate. Squeaks, rattles, swaying, etc. I personally changed the struts and shocks at 100K miles with KYB GR-2's and I had those replaced with OEM assemblies at around 140K miles. I had a mysterious bump with the KYB's and to me, the wide was more harsh than OEM. Once the OEM's were installed, I was pleased.

I prefer not to go back to OEM's for a few reasons. I have no interest in lowering my vehicle either. Given my mileage, I figured I would go ahead and replace my springs while I'm at it. Should I give KYB GR-2's another try, give the Stagg's a chance, or something else?

Also, would you mind validating my shopping list? Here's what I have right now:
(2) MOOG front upper strut mounts
(2) MOOG rear shock mounts
(2) front and (2) rear MOOG springs
(4) MOOG dust boots and stoppers for front and rear
(2) Monroe spring insulaters?
(2) Monroe spring seats?
(2) Front struts
(2) rear shocks

Your opinions and advice is appreciated.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by corruptone
Hello Maxima.org members,
My 2000 Maxima SE is now at 256K miles and the ride quality has begun to deteriorate. Squeaks, rattles, swaying, etc. I personally changed the struts and shocks at 100K miles with KYB GR-2's and I had those replaced with OEM assemblies at around 140K miles. I had a mysterious bump with the KYB's and to me, the wide was more harsh than OEM. Once the OEM's were installed, I was pleased.

I prefer not to go back to OEM's for a few reasons. I have no interest in lowering my vehicle either. Given my mileage, I figured I would go ahead and replace my springs while I'm at it. Should I give KYB GR-2's another try, give the Stagg's a chance, or something else?

Also, would you mind validating my shopping list? Here's what I have right now:
(2) MOOG front upper strut mounts
(2) MOOG rear shock mounts
(2) front and (2) rear MOOG springs
(4) MOOG dust boots and stoppers for front and rear
(2) Monroe spring insulaters?
(2) Monroe spring seats?
(2) Front struts
(2) rear shocks

I have what you need in the classifieds section.

Stagg Front struts, New
KYB complete assemblies, 3,000 miles no snow.
Or Monroe Complete assemblies, used though 50K miles.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:59 PM

(2) Front struts
(2) rear shocks
KYB is the only way to go. Here:
Front: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....359222&jsn=398
Rear: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....359222&jsn=397
Old 01-14-2017, 07:03 AM

With those miles, I'd honestly just go with Monroe Quick Struts. Beats buying every component individually. Ride's on the softer side but still compliant.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:13 AM
Bad *** Newb

stock

It's dangerous on the hwy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sensen-Front...RYUXrQ&vxp=mtr
Gotta be better than monroe cheap crap. I think this is cheaper than rockauto (you'll have to check with shipping and 5% coupon code).

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 01-14-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
stock

It's dangerous on the hwy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sensen-Front...RYUXrQ&vxp=mtr
Gotta be better than monroe cheap crap. I think this is cheaper than rockauto (you'll have to check with shipping and 5% coupon code).
Definitely saving this link.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:15 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
Definitely saving this link.
They make OEM struts for a lot of cars, so it's not like normal chinese crap, I would assume.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
They make OEM struts for a lot of cars, so it's not like normal chinese crap, I would assume.
Well even though supposedly all my struts were replaced when I bought the car (still need to check the rears), I'll probably buy these this or next summer.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:50 PM

Don't buy those garbage monroe quick struts.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:33 PM

OE is Tokico Right?
Old 01-16-2017, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
OE is Tokico Right?
Yes
Old 01-31-2017, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by tech2000
Don't buy those garbage monroe quick struts.
​​​​​​​I would agree. My frts are noisy and the rears came mis aligned. Had to rent spring compressor and totally reset the orientation. Would not buy again.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:06 AM

I'm finishing up collecting parts for a new strut and spring build on my 4th gen. You might want to browse the following thread regarding some of the fitment issues I found along the way. More parts and pictures are on the way. Its mix of H&R, Koni, MOOG, and OEM

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...sing-here.html
Old 01-31-2017, 10:29 AM

Thank you to all who responded. Based on the general feedback from forum members, I elected to purchase KYB GR-2's for front and rear, front and rear Moog mounts, front and rear Moog springs, Febest OEM copies of front and rear dustboots/bumpstops, ES rear trailing arm bushings and ES front sway bar bushings. My total price for everything was appox $530. I'm happy with the finish product. A couple of items of note were:

1) The Febest OEM dustboots fit perfectly in the Moog mounts. Nice quality as well.

2) My install of the ES trailing arm bushings was the most time consuming. ES instructions and (2) other forum members instructions reference an OEM bushing design that is substantially different than what was installed in my 2000 SE. It took me 10 hours to just remove the bushing from one side and install the ES bushing. The second side took 2.5 hours to complete the job. While one of my OEM bushings was leaking a bit, I would NOT entertain this job if I knew my OEM bushings were OK. I did not have easy access to a shop press and this could have made a large difference in the install time/effort. it's hard to describe, but my bushings had a metal core in the center that was extremely tight fit inside the trailing arm housing. It was notched in 4 places so I theorize that Nissan had a machine that compressed this ring, inserted it into trailing arm housing, and once inside, it expanded.

Maybe this helps a forum member in the future.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:34 AM

Cool. Those Febest boots look like real OEM.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Cool. Those Febest boots look like real OEM.
I have them on my car and they are fantastic. Much better than the old kyb's they replaced.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:17 AM

2) My install of the ES trailing arm bushings was the most time consuming. ES instructions and (2) other forum members instructions reference an OEM bushing design that is substantially different than what was installed in my 2000 SE. It took me 10 hours to just remove the bushing from one side and install the ES bushing. The second side took 2.5 hours to complete the job. While one of my OEM bushings was leaking a bit, I would NOT entertain this job if I knew my OEM bushings were OK. I did not have easy access to a shop press and this could have made a large difference in the install time/effort. it's hard to describe, but my bushings had a metal core in the center that was extremely tight fit inside the trailing arm housing. It was notched in 4 places so I theorize that Nissan had a machine that compressed this ring, inserted it into trailing arm housing, and once inside, it expanded.

Maybe this helps a forum member in the future.
how do you like the results of the trailing arm ES bushings?
Old 02-02-2017, 05:51 AM

Prophecy99,
I honestly could not tell any difference between the OEM bushings and the ES bushings.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:11 AM

Monroe or Gabriel quick struts should suit your needs.

If you can wait a few weeks, both companies will be running a rebate promo buy-3-get-1 free after rebate. They run it every March.

If you cannot wait until March, get the Monroes from Rock Auto, look under "suspension kit" for all 4 Monroes bundled together at a slight discount.

Monroe seems to get good reviews on Amazon, while Gabriel's quick struts for these cars are a new offering, so no long-term info yet.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:40 AM

Prophecy99,
I honestly could not tell any difference between the OEM bushings and the ES bushings.
thanks for feed back
Old 02-14-2017, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
​​​​​​​I would agree. My frts are noisy and the rears came mis aligned. Had to rent spring compressor and totally reset the orientation. Would not buy again.
Your lucky my front and rear came out the box misaligned. I will never buy another set ever again.