6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

dead battery

Old 07-21-2008, 05:58 PM
This Space for Rent

dead battery

last week, i had a problem starting my 04 SE (auto). it cranked, but wouldnt start... seemed like a fuel or spark issue. after about 5 minutes, the car started and idled with no problem at all- no black smoke, no fuel smell- it just fired up and drove normally until today. i was out for a few hours today and (luckily) parked in my driveway. i went out around 7 to make a run. the doors unlocked via fob, chimed when i inserted the key and had all dash lights- however, when i cranked the car- all the lights went out and the started clicked.

damnit.... dead battery.

i ran to a local auto parts store and picked a new battery up for $80 and had it installed in about 5 minutes. the car started/ran fine.

now, i know that batteries many times just 'go' without warning- but thats usually in the winter when the cold temps/cold starts take the toll on the battery.

i talked with a friend who has a Titan and he claims to have read that Nissan, and the Titans specifically, are known to have batteries crap out with no signs at all.

also, since i bought the car used, i dont know if the battery was original. its a 2004 SE with (now) 32K miles.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:10 PM

you know the same thing happened to me like last week however the car started after I disconnected and reconnected my battery. I have a quick disconnect for track use and this worked. Very wierd. Car acted like there wasn't a battery at all. But after the reset it worked no problem, and has ever since. battery voltage was normal and I have an optima yellow top. Clueless but at least I figured out how to fix it quick. I would take the battery in for a free voltage check at Checkers/Autozone.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:53 PM
This Space for Rent

i took the battery to advance auto parts for my $10 core charge!

i bought a new battery since (1) i dont know how old it was, (2) my car didnt start and (3) even if it did start, id be leery and wouldnt trust it
Old 07-21-2008, 08:16 PM

Well my mom called me last week on a 90+ degree day saying that her car wouldnt start. I gave her the ususal questions about what the car was doing when she turned the key..yeah just a dead battery. She has a ford focus 60k on the clock..but the funny thing is, its now 6 YEARS OLD!! and this is the first sign of battery trouble. On the other hand my Max is only a bit over 2 years old and about 3 weeks ago im driving and my music didnt seem to sound the same that day. It just sounded like someone had their hand over Mos Def's mouth while he was trying to spit his rhyme! Went to autozone for a quick test and battery was shot. Had to get a jump after testing. So i shot to my dealer and Damn!.. the corrosion had eaten through the connector at the end of the factory positive cable and the positive post on the battery was sunken about an 1/8 of an inch wtf! And i only have 26k on mine. Anyway it dosent matter how old your battery is it can crap out on you anytime anywhere and it ususally does it when you dont want it too! Positive note..Battery and connector with factory fuse at end of cable was replaced under warranty!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

heat actually has more of a damaging affect on batteries than colder temperatures. higher temperatures increase the rate of corrosion and the battery will self discharge much faster because the electrons in the battery move that much quicker. it is also possible that the battery itself could just need a charge. basically it is low on electrons and you can introduce new ones with a battery charger.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:51 PM
This Space for Rent

well- i didnt want to **** around with charging it/refilling it so i just picked up a new one. all was well today.

~5 years is about right for a battery anyway
Old 07-25-2008, 04:07 PM

Same thing happened to me today, I drove the car to work this morning and parked it. At lunch time i tried to get it started but the battery was completely dead, not even the lights on the dashboard would turn on.
I went to get a new battery for $85.00 bucks, the car started right up but now the security light stays on, I locked and unlocked the car to see if it would go away but nothing happened. Does anyone knows why the light stay on or how to make it go back to normal?
Old 07-27-2008, 07:46 PM

same thing happened to me on friday. it was a ***** because i had work. went to autozone and got their gold line 24f battery.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:49 PM

I just replaced my battery in the 06 maxima today and replaced my wife's battery in the '06 armada yesterday and we bought both vehicles at the same time. It has to be this hot weather.

This morning the maxima was completely inoperable, nothing, the key fob wouldn't even work until I hooked the jumper cables up and everything inside came on but the maxima still wouldn't start. No signs or I just didn't notice.

I went and bought a new battery $70 bucks($140 in 2 days) and Life was restored into my boy, smokey joe.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by rnupetroop
I just replaced my battery in the 06 maxima today and replaced my wife's battery in the '06 armada yesterday and we bought both vehicles at the same time. It has to be this hot weather.

This morning the maxima was completely inoperable, nothing, the key fob wouldn't even work until I hooked the jumper cables up and everything inside came on but the maxima still wouldn't start. No signs or I just didn't notice.

I went and bought a new battery $70 bucks($140 in 2 days) and Life was restored into my boy, smokey joe.
Just out of curiosity how many miles do you have on both vehicles, hows the gas mileage on that Armada in Atlanta just asking cause Infiniti is offering 0% for 72 on the QX56
Old 07-27-2008, 08:49 PM

If you cant afford the gas, dont get the truck. I have an '04 Max and an '07 Armada. Max has 61000, Armada just has 9000 and have had it a year and a half. Bought it for my wife on her birthday. But she doesnt work so doesnt have to go to far. But family outings and Costco we take it. I have a heavy foot so get bout 14 miles a gallon and thats all highway. BTW bought the max almost 3 years ago and battery was dead at the dealer, so got a new one. Just FYI sometimes my kids. Hit the trunk button on my remote and stays unlocked all night without me knowing, hence trunk light stays on all night. Could drain your battery if youre not aware.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:59 PM

you should get some orange overlays for your tail lights. I think that would look hot. Ohh and some orange tint for those windows. get rid of that black tint. I think you would be surprised on how much better the car would look. You should photoshop it.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:24 PM

I think an overlay for the tails would look hot with or without orange window tint. the tint would look nothing like this.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:25 PM

ohh and paint your rotors and brakes orange too.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:31 PM

maybe even do an orange ring around the rim. that looks kinda hot actually. not exactly what it would look like but gives you at least somewhat of an idea.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
Just out of curiosity how many miles do you have on both vehicles, hows the gas mileage on that Armada in Atlanta just asking cause Infiniti is offering 0% for 72 on the QX56
The max has 46k and the wife's armada has only 26k. She only drives 5miles to work so its not that bad but it takes $90 dollars to fill up, every 2weeks and that's with some extra driving.

But oh yeah the batteries did go out the same time.

Last edited by rnupetroop; 07-29-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
maybe even do an orange ring around the rim. that looks kinda hot actually. not exactly what it would look like but gives you at least somewhat of an idea.
Disgusting.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by 04MAX_ILLIN
Disgusting.
You know I read the post through my Instinct phone yesterday but figured I would reply when I got on the computer just to say....
Are you(po8pimp) serious??? And if so, you should never smoke Crack again!!!
Then I got on the computer and saw you photoshopped it?!?!?!?!
Looks HORRIBLE!!!!
The only thing I am going to do is paint the rotors and the calipers to match the color, I have the paint already. I plan on getting the LED taillights with black tint (or smoke don't know yet). But I'm going with the Orange and black theme pretty much. Roof and Hood once Max2daMax is done.

P.S. Sorry Domestic Violence, don't even know how this started, back to your thread please.

Last edited by Gianniali; 07-29-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:05 AM

Wow, that would make your car look as bad as that basketball orange car in florida...lol That orange is hot, i haven't seen any max in atlanta with that color.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:44 AM

On back to the topic, I was having sorta the same issue. Every once in awhile i get in the car and try to start it, all the lights come on as normal but it wouldn't turn over, I'll wait a few minutes and then it cranks up with some gas.. I took it to the autoshop yesterday and they said that my battery was dieing. Any suggestions on what type of battery to get? Or does it matter?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 AM

This same thing happened to my 06 Max last week. I was leaving my house to go to work and my car acted like it wasn't getting fuel. Waited a minute and it started fine. It was fine for a week or so then when I was getting ready to leave the store the battery did the same thing. Jumped it, went to advance, tested the battery...the dumb tard that didn't know how to use the machine supposedly tested it and he said it passed. I went back inside and came back out and guess what, the car wouldn't start. Needless to say, bought a new battery and it's been fine since then. It was so wierd though because the car didn't give me any kinda warning. It just went out.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:59 PM
This Space for Rent

Originally Posted by Yankeeblue04
I'll wait a few minutes and then it cranks up with some gas.
our cars are fuel injected- you cant 'give it gas' when starting it
Old 08-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Same thing happened to me...acted weird like twice when driving...but drove perfect other than that. Then it would take a while to start ect.. I got a code... got new battery...same thing...long time to start...checked all wiring ect. found out that the camshaft position sensors sometimes go bad. I replaced my bank 2 sensor, and what do you know..starts and runs like a champ. Also these sensors can contribute to hard starting when warm. You might wanna check it out.

Last edited by floppynuts3333; 08-04-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:37 PM

I Know, I know.. Here is the deal, I have been having issues with the car starting at times and I always blamed it on a leak in the fuel system. Well, today I had my battery checked and I was at freaking 230 CCA!!!! After switching it out for a 650 CCA battery, the Max busts off without hesitation..
Old 11-12-2008, 08:31 PM

I wouldn't bother....just pick up a new good quality battery... save yourself the head ache!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Banned

new batt at wallmart 40 bucks 860 ccas go get sum.