5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Blower motor won't turn on. What could be the problem?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:37 AM

Blower motor won't turn on. What could be the problem?

A few weeks ago I took the blower motor out and lubricated it. The thing stopped working a few days later. I did some research and found out you're not supposed to lubricate those motors. So I bought a new one from eBay. Hooked it up just now and it's still not working. I checked the fuses and they're still good. I even swapped them just in case. No luck. I read some things about the resistor being the problem sometimes but that was when the blower would only work on the highest setting and not the other three but mine doesn't work at all. Is there any way to check is the resistor is working? What else should I check or what else could be causing the problem?

Last edited by XGaSpAcHo; 10-04-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by XGaSpAcHo
A few weeks ago I took the blower motor out and lubricated it. The thing stopped working a few days later. I did some research and found out you're not supposed to lubricate those motors. So I bought a new one from eBay. Hooked it up just now and it's still not working. I checked the fuses and they're still good. I even swapped them just in case. No luck. I read some things about the resistor being the problem sometimes but that was when the blower would only work on the highest setting and not the other three but mine doesn't work at all. Is there any way to check is the resistor is working? What else should I check or what else could be causing the problem?
What year/model do you have?

You can measure voltage on the motor connector with multimeter if you have one or connect there some small 12V bulb if you don't.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Max_5gen
What year/model do you have?

You can measure voltage on the motor connector with multimeter if you have one or connect there some small 12V bulb if you don't.
it's an 03 GLE with climate control. i just tested the voltage. the resistor plug is getting power but if i plug the resistor in and test the blower motor plug then i get nothing. i connected the prong that was getting power on the resistor to the ground (thus bypassing it) and i was then able to get power to the blower motor. the resistor must be the culprit, right?

any idea where i can get one today possibly? nissan wants $129 for it and it has to be special ordered. i believe the part can be bought aftermarket for around $39 in most parts store.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:10 PM

is there any way to test the power module (aka blower motor resistor on manual climate control cars).
Old 10-04-2008, 02:47 PM

it's an 03 GLE with climate control. i just tested the voltage. the resistor plug is getting power but if i plug the resistor in and test the blower motor plug then i get nothing. i connected the prong that was getting power on the resistor to the ground (thus bypassing it) and i was then able to get power to the blower motor. the resistor must be the culprit, right?

any idea where i can get one today possibly? nissan wants $129 for it and it has to be special ordered. i believe the part can be bought aftermarket for around $39 in most parts store.
I think, you got it. The ultimate test would be turning fan switch to full speed - it bypasses resistor in this position. If motor works then I'd speculate that somehow internal fuse in the resistor assembly is blown probably as a consequence of the motor problem. I don't know where to get a new one, sorry.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:22 PM

auto climate controls don't use resistors, they use amplifiers instead. once they are blown, they don't work at all. I've been through this.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
auto climate controls don't use resistors, they use amplifiers instead. once they are blown, they don't work at all. I've been through this.
I know that's why I tried to provoke the test - if he finds fan speed switch it wasn't climate control if he doesn't then he doesn't need a resistor but amplifier instead.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:43 AM

My amp went out on me a few months back. Guy at nissan said buncha maxes had this issue. Quick fix and easy access.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My Blower Motor does not turn off. I have went to junk yard and bought the whole a/c control unit and it still will not turn off. What do I do? I have checked fuses and relays. What could it possibly be?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Maureti
My Blower Motor does not turn off. I have went to junk yard and bought the whole a/c control unit and it still will not turn off. What do I do? I have checked fuses and relays. What could it possibly be?
amplifier.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:31 AM

i replaced my resistor and there s a build in fuse in the resistor module,,,replace it and it only costed me 40 dollars at the auto parts supplier.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i30

guys i have the same problem, i have an i30 infiniti 2001 my blower stopped turning on today. and man i dont now how i'm gonna make it without it in this cold wheather. i wanna know what should i replace. maxima and the i30 they are all the same just a little different. please i need your help i'm stuck. in the cold.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by jonathan chawaguta
guys i have the same problem, i have an i30 infiniti 2001 my blower stopped turning on today. and man i dont now how i'm gonna make it without it in this cold wheather. i wanna know what should i replace. maxima and the i30 they are all the same just a little different. please i need your help i'm stuck. in the cold.
check the fuse first, the motor is very strong even when it's shot.
if it keeps blowing fuses, replace the motor before ruining the speed amp.