5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Smart Entrance Control

Old 06-05-2008, 01:15 PM

Smart Entrance Control

Anyone out there knows if the dealership has to reprogram the Immobilizer/anti-theft control system? My doors lock and unlock plus the front windows open when the unlock keyfob button is depress and held, which is what it's suppose to do! When you activate the anti-theft with the lock keyfob button, the horn doesn't chirp and when unlocked the hazard lights don't flash! So I'll change the Smart Entrance Control unit, hopefully no reprogramming will be necessary! If so I'll perform the immobilizer reset percedure listed in our owners manual! Anyone out there that has had this same or similar situation please comment! My Maxima is a 2003 Se (TE) auto!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Cletus

hold down lock and unlock at the same time for a few seconds....the horn and hazards will be activated...its in your manual
Old 06-05-2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
hold down lock and unlock at the same time for a few seconds....the horn and hazards will be activated...its in your manual
its on the back of the clicker itself lol
Old 06-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by TeH BawNeY
its on the back of the clicker itself lol
only on the 00-01 FOB
Old 06-05-2008, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
Thanx, I read the immobilizer reset section, instead of the keyfob keyless entry section! It worked and yes it is in the OM! Time to make more room in my wife's purse or more room in my pocket! thanx again....
Old 09-14-2008, 06:19 PM

Ok well this is a close as I can come to searching for what I'm looking for, and I still dont have an answer. I havent got time to post on 15 threads (without "postwhoring", whatever that is) before I am allowed to start my own thread, and all i have is one question.
Is there any thing called a "smart control module" the dealer said the one on my wifes 03 maxima is bad, and thats why the sun roof and windows dont work. I have searched google and this forum and cant find anything called that.
If someone can inform me as to what the part is called that controls these things, it would be great.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Duckhead
Ok well this is a close as I can come to searching for what I'm looking for, and I still dont have an answer. I havent got time to post on 15 threads (without "postwhoring", whatever that is) before I am allowed to start my own thread, and all i have is one question.
Is there any thing called a "smart control module" the dealer said the one on my wifes 03 maxima is bad, and thats why the sun roof and windows dont work. I have searched google and this forum and cant find anything called that.
If someone can inform me as to what the part is called that controls these things, it would be great.

No such thing. The windows and moonroof are all tied into the Smart Entrance Control Unit. Tell them to take a look at EL-197 in their ESM.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...3-p-47415.html

Last edited by VQP0WER; 09-14-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:20 PM

on top of the 5g forum.. there is a sticky that is a newbie section.. just for people that cant start there own threads and there are ppl that always browse it to help.. check it out.. sorry i cant help you here ...if i knew the answer i would sorry mate
Old 09-15-2008, 07:26 AM

Hey thanks guys for the help. Sorry I didnt see the posting section for new guys. I was a little aggrivated at the dealership and wanted an answer. I'll check it out though.
Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:01 PM

Take it easy, the OP question was already answered in full so yours will do to keep it alive . Could you describe your problem in more detail? Right now I understand that all your windows and sun roof don't work but power locks do as well as bunch of interior lights, trunk lid, etc. Did windows/sr stopped working at once or the problem developed over some time?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:53 AM

Hey sorry its been so long, I'm just to the point where I got some free time to take a deeper look into this thing....
So right now, none of the windows work, the sunroof doesnt work...and I believe thats all that doesnt work.
The power locks work, the trunk lid light works, the dome light works... although it does stay on for about 30 seconds after engine start instead of going off immediately... and everything else seems to be just fine.
I did have an intermittent door open light, and when that came on the dome light would not work, nor the map lights. I think he way I fixed it was just by flipping the switches a lot that control the dome light and map lights and flipping the door locks open and close a lot. Not sure what exactly made the door open light go away but it worked. I dont think that has come back in a couple months.
First the sun roof stopped working. Not sure when it stopped but I just tried it one day and it didnt work...but I do know that the windows still worked. Theeeeen I took it in to get a tranny flush and asked them to take a look at the sunroof issue. When we picked it up they said that none of the windows worked either and I was like BULLLLLLL SHIIIIIIIII.... They said that they had to manually get the windows back up after they got them down b/c they wouldnt go back up electrically.
Everything looks to be hooked up normal. I just took a look under the driver door switch panel and everything is connected, I also looked at what i thought was the entrance control unit they said was bad and its hooked up.
So anyway, windows and sunroof no workie (first sunroof quit then magically windows quit after a trip to the dealer)
All lights work (the dome light stays on approx. 30 sec after engine start).
Door locks work............. Whats the 411?!?!?!?!
Oh and the muffler bearings work... (sorry, I had to throw that in there).
Old 11-14-2008, 11:10 AM

Any ideas ya'll?
Old 11-23-2008, 12:47 PM

Wow look at all this help. Cool, I really appreciate it.!!!

I hope atleast one of you catch the sarcasm.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Cletus

yup...that kind of attitude will get people to help you

instead of hijacking a thread and demanding help, you should have posted in the newbie thread
Old 11-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

definetly sounds like the smart entrance computer is toast. I have one from an 03 max for sale if you need it. PM me if interested.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow look at all this help. Cool, I really appreciate it.!!!

I hope atleast one of you catch the sarcasm.
Lol nice one Duckhead. I was reading your post and I had a similar problem with my sunroof, but everything else worked fine. It would happen everytime I would disconnect the battery. I would use the overhead slide switch on the sunroof and no response. I left it for a while and forgot about it. The next time I wanted to use my sunroof it wouldn't work then finally I started playing with the rocker switch next to the slide switch. I opened and closed about three time's then I opened the sunroof using the slide switch and it worked.

Last edited by lildoggs; 11-24-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
No such thing. The windows and moonroof are all tied into the Smart Entrance Control Unit. Tell them to take a look at EL-197 in their ESM.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...3-p-47415.html

I know that these are tied to the smart entrance control, but the moonroof doesnt open together with the windows when you hold the key in the unlock position or the remote, correct? I know some cars do but don't know if nissan does.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 02nissmax
I know that these are tied to the smart entrance control, but the moonroof doesnt open together with the windows when you hold the key in the unlock position or the remote, correct? I know some cars do but don't know if nissan does.

00-01 Max's = No

02-03 Max's = I think just the drivers window, but I don't know without looking in my manuals.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:09 PM

00-01 Max's = No

02-03 Max's = I think just the drivers window, but I don't know without looking in my manuals.
On the 5.5 gen, both front windows go down when unlock is held down.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:43 PM

Thanks nsn...and to everone else that didnt get their feelings hurt by a little sarcasm.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((( PM sent, nsn ))))))))))))))))))))))))

Looks like I have to go back to the new section until I grow up, or whatever the reason is, regardless of my knowledge of cars in general.

Last edited by Duckhead; 11-25-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:13 PM

Thanks nsn...and to everone else that didnt get their feelings hurt by a little sarcasm.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((( PM sent, nsn ))))))))))))))))))))))))

Looks like I have to go back to the new section until I grow up, or whatever the reason is, regardless of my knowledge of cars in general.
Sorry, I missed the whole story. The closest FSM I have is for 2k2 Maxima and windows control looks complicated - there's a communication wire going from SECU to every door's switch which contain certain chips to control the windows 'locally' so to say. The switches also have illumination LEDs in them which happen to be powered from a relay controlled by another SECU output. I'd check if LEDs are illuminated first as it doesn't involve any additional logic. If they are then I don't know what else is possible to check simply. If it was my car I would try to disconnect door window switches one by one to see if it makes any difference. That communication wire is shared between all of them so if one is bad it is quite possible would affect others and this way you could find the one. The last possibility is the SECU itself and it looks like you're getting one soon. If the replacement won't solve the problem try the "disconnecting switches" way which I described above.

If it is any help: sunroof on my diagram for 2k2 Max is completely independent from SECU except one wire - the power itself. SECU outputs so called RAP signal - Retained Power. It supposed to stay ON for 45 seconds after you turn the ignition key to OFF. The very same output also powers those LEDs in window switches, so do check if they're lit.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:38 AM

Hey thanks Max. That all makes pretty good sense to me so I will take a look at it as well.
I appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

THe SECU is on the right side of the steering column. opposite the fuse box. im thinking of replacing mine but dont know if all are the same.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by loveofmylife00maxima
THe SECU is on the right side of the steering column. opposite the fuse box. im thinking of replacing mine but dont know if all are the same.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:35 PM

i doubt your reply helps the newbie much, but to the newbie, I belive the 2000-2001 differ from 2002-2003. Call your dealer and ask the parts department or wait till tomorrow and I can check at work in the crash books. You can aslo do a search on the web to find more info. PM me if you need more help.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:39 PM

actually, looking on courtesey parts website, the part numbers are the same so i guess they are all the same on the 2000-2003 maximas

http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...1996_2002.html