5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

"TCS OFF" and "SLIP" lights came on... HELP!!!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 11:35 AM

"TCS OFF" and "SLIP" lights came on... HELP!!!!!

I've had my '03 Maxima GLE for about 6 months now. Louisville was hit with bad weather last night and I was driving home from work on the interstate. Everyone was going about 45 mph because the roads were snowy/icy and all of a sudden my car just shuts off. TCS OFF, SLIP, OIL LIGHT, and BATTERY LIGHT all came on. Power steering locked up too! I had to pull over on the side of the road... had trouble starting the car back up. It was having trouble turning over. So these two lights, TCS OFF and SLIP remain on the rest of the drive home (about 15 mins). Car is driving a little different. Get home, check oil... it's OK. Not sure what else to check.

This morning, start car fine. Lights are off. Goto work. Pulling into work parking lot a car pulls in front of me out of nowhere and I brake suddenly. SAME THING, car shuts off. All these lights come on. What is going on here??? Does anybody know anything about a Maxima acting like this??? HEEEEELLLLP!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:54 AM

the alternator is going?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:01 PM

SHIIIITTT..... that can't be good!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
the alternator is going?
I thought the Alternator going up was the E-brake light and the Battery light illuminating at the same time

Thats what happened for me, and thats whats in the manual ...not 100% sure about the 5.5 gen
Old 12-17-2008, 01:13 PM

http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/.../20094-recall/

It's the camshaft crank sensor

there is a recall but last time I went to a Nissan dealer they didn't find it even though I gave them the recall number and source. they wanted to charge me over 300 dollars. They didn't believe me there was a recall so I called Nissan of america, talked to a nice lady, told her what happened, she finds the recall, tells me to go back to the dealership, gives me her name and extension and tells me to have the dealer call her when I'm there. wham bam they fix everything for free.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by reeloop

there is a recall but last time I went to a Nissan dealer they didn't find it even though I gave them the recall number and source. they wanted to charge me over 300 dollars. They didn't believe me there was a recall so I called Nissan of america, talked to a nice lady, told her what happened, she finds the recall, tells me to go back to the dealership, gives me her name and extension and tells me to have the dealer call her when I'm there. wham bam they fix everything for free.
That recall says the SEL light would illuminate, and the OP didn't mention that.

I'm guessing alternator or the battery cables.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:11 PM

perhaps, the symptoms are identical to what I experienced though.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:20 PM

Take your alternator to autozone. let them do the diagnosis. if it's good, then your camshaft crank sensor is bad.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:57 PM
dot dot dot ...

1.) Alt = Battery / brake
2.) Cam = SES
3.) ABS Sensor = TCS / SLIP

A trip to AutoZone to check both your battery & Alt is probably a good idea now.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am currently experiencing the same issue. It has been freezing and nasty ice here in Tulsa and today my ABS, Slip, and TCS light all came on while I was driving. I shut the car off and they came off for a bit but once I accelerated the car bogged down and all the lights came back on. The car still runs fine like it always does just had a glitch? Is this most likely just an ABS sensor? I do not have a CEL to pull up so therefore no codes?? Maybe it just got dirty from all the sand, salt, and crap on the roadways? Any ideas or suggestions? Just had new brakes, rotors, and struts from Nissan 5,000 miles ago.

BTW - 2002 SE - 90,000 miles.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2008, 11:17 PM

Get the codes. It sounds like you have:

- a camshaft position sensor out of whack

or

- failing ignition coils

... these problems send a large magnetic field through the electrical system, causing indicator lights for the transmission to light up.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:07 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by sixteenXnine

causing indicator lights for the transmission to light up.
Who said anything about a transmission?
Old 12-20-2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by blake2002Maxima
I am currently experiencing the same issue. It has been freezing and nasty ice here in Tulsa and today my ABS, Slip, and TCS light all came on while I was driving. I shut the car off and they came off for a bit but once I accelerated the car bogged down and all the lights came back on. The car still runs fine like it always does just had a glitch? Is this most likely just an ABS sensor? I do not have a CEL to pull up so therefore no codes?? Maybe it just got dirty from all the sand, salt, and crap on the roadways? Any ideas or suggestions? Just had new brakes, rotors, and struts from Nissan 5,000 miles ago.

BTW - 2002 SE - 90,000 miles.

Thanks
I had the same problem...the lights stayed on for about a week and then went off. They have only came on one time since then, and it was after I washed my car using a high pressure spray at a car wash, I think I got something in the brake area wet. But anyways, I wouldn't waste money on getting this checked out unless they stay on for longer than week, or you notice something doesn't feel right. But for me, they went away on their own...could just be caused from something getting wet that isn't supposed to be.

... these problems send a large magnetic field through the electrical system, causing indicator lights for the transmission to light up.
Sounds like a load of to me...
Old 12-20-2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Who said anything about a transmission?
The OP said something about the transmission when he referred to his TCS and SLIP indicators lighting up.

Originally Posted by sublime258
Sounds like a load of to me...

It's called piggyback code throwing. It happens in many makes, notably Fords and Nissans.

In the Maxima's case (this happened to mine as well), the cam position sensor's error signal travels down a signal path near a traction control indicator system related signal path. Sometimes certain errors, like the one we are talking about in this thread, are actually caused by the electrical signal (or magnetic field) originating from somewhere else. Bad coils have also caused the TCS and SLIP lights to go off in 4th thru 5.5 gen Maximas.

So the BS is sometimes just the Maxima electrical system.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:31 PM
dot dot dot ...

SLIP / TCS has nothing to do w/ tranny. That was my point, and you proved it.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 12-20-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
SLIP / TCS has nothing to do w/ tranny. That was my point, and you proved it.
Ok educate me then... I must have the wrong idea about that.

Why does SLIP/TCS have nothing to do with the tranny? I thought these indicators reference the TCU which obviously has something to do with the tranny.

... I've only had my Maximas for a year. Before that I dealt with non-electronically-assisted early-'90's GM cars (four Chevy Luminas) and an '00 Neon ES. I'm still learning about vehicles like the Maxima that have both an ECU and a TCU.

Last edited by sixteenXnine; 12-21-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2002 Maxima ABS SLIP TCS lights

Hello everyone. Our 2002 SE Maxima has experienced a problem last week on Thursday 2/12/2009. The problem is that the TCS OFF light, SLIP and ABS light are on. We had this problem around 2 years ago and the dealer had replaced a wheel sensor I believe. The problem is back by popular demand. I'm not about to pay for the same damn thing again. Does anyone/techs know what could have caused this? Check this out though, I drove the car yesaterday around my house and drove around 4 mph and when I stopped I felt the ABS kick in the brake pedal on a dry day. The car has 70k miles on it. We take care of that car and don't beat it. Any ideas? Thanks guys.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by reeloop

When did you perform this repair? Cause mine just popped up....
(Even though the max is almost 10yrs old.)
Old 02-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I called the dealer yesterday to find out when we had taken it there and they told me they replaced a wheel sensor in one of the rear wheels back in 2004. The car only 2 yrs old then. Although I'm not getting a service engine light, you think they'll honor that recall?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:38 AM

On my part I'm woundering about that camkshaft crank sencor recall even after 10yrs. Cause REELOOP mensioned nissan fixing his problem for free; so I'm woundering when that happened and if it would still be possible now...
Old 02-20-2009, 04:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You have nothing to lose by calling a Nissan dealer. If it's a recall, they're suppose to change it for free. Give the dealer your VIN number and they can check to see if your car is up to date with recalls. Mine has no recalls right now. I'm going to remove all the wheel sensors and clean them to see what happens. May work or not but it's free. Just takes a little time to do. I'll let you know what works for this problem.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 AM

Thx for the info. I'll check it out as soon as I can and I'll let you know what happens.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:59 AM

So I just spoke to a nissan guy from the parts department, I give him my VIN and he tells me there are no recalls for my car and especially no recalls for that code in the year 2000. Than tells me 2.5 altimas and 3.5 engines (2002 maximas I guess what he meant) were the only ones with that recall... But when I go on http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/.../20094-recall/ it does specify only maximas starting 2002. My lights came on just no to long ago... this sucks. I'm getting sceptical.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Call the Nissan's corporate office. Maybe theybe able to help you out. I heard they're pretty good with trying to help you get your car fixed for free. Good luck.

As for my wife's car. Looks like maybe one of the wheel sensors may be bad and is activating the ABS, TCS and Slip lights to come on. I'm dropping it off at the dealer so they can fix it. I have no time to mess with it. The cheapest way was to replace the sensors on each wheel and see if that would work. I have no time for that right now. I'll let everyone know what it was when I get it back.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok educate me then... I must have the wrong idea about that.

Why does SLIP/TCS have nothing to do with the tranny? I thought these indicators reference the TCU which obviously has something to do with the tranny.

... I've only had my Maximas for a year. Before that I dealt with non-electronically-assisted early-'90's GM cars (four Chevy Luminas) and an '00 Neon ES. I'm still learning about vehicles like the Maxima that have both an ECU and a TCU.

TCS light coming on may inidcate a fault in the ABS Sensor that monitors the revolution of each wheel.

In my case both TCS and ABS went on, so I had this diagnosed at a shop. They told me I had a faulty rear ABS (driver side) sensor. Better to have this checked out rather than guess.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Edski35
Call the Nissan's corporate office. Maybe theybe able to help you out. I heard they're pretty good with trying to help you get your car fixed for free. Good luck.

As for my wife's car. Looks like maybe one of the wheel sensors may be bad and is activating the ABS, TCS and Slip lights to come on. I'm dropping it off at the dealer so they can fix it. I have no time to mess with it. The cheapest way was to replace the sensors on each wheel and see if that would work. I have no time for that right now. I'll let everyone know what it was when I get it back.

If its not a stupid question, what would be the number for nissan`s office?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

More dashlight woes

My alternator failed. I had a remanufactured Bosch alternator put in 2 weeks ago. But the brake and battery lights still flashed. I took it back and the part tested bad. The garage returned the part for another one.
But I'm still having the same problems intermittently and now, sometimes the headlights and dash pulse like a disco. Sometimes it sounds like my heater fan is surging instead of cutting out. The dash lights don't come on when its doing this. I took the car back but the garage couldn't find anything wrong when they tested it this time. Some days I have no problems at all - other days, lights come on and flash and go off. I've tracked the problem in relation to the temp (WI) and it doesn't seem related to cold. Sometimes adding load sets it off and sometimes not. Could the amperage of the replacement alternator be wrong? Is it possible to get 2 bad parts in a row? Any other suggestions on how to convince the garage to replace the part when they can't find anything wrong woiuld be apprecited. What about fuses? I'm so frustrated I could... In addition, Bosch will not cover labor - neither will the garage in this economy.

Last edited by Lane; 03-05-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:43 PM

You probably have either:

1. corroded/loose battery cables

2. Slipping belt
Old 03-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dashboard woes

Thanks for the reply. The belt was put on new with the first replacement. I had it checked after installation when the problem popped up. Then I had it checked again after the second replacement had the same problem. I will check the battery cables but I'm skeptical that they are the problem but am grateful for any and all suggestions.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Pull your battery cable off the Alt and shake the post it was attached to. If it is loose replace the Alt! It sounds like you are having a charging problem due to vibration/moisture IE a loose connection or faulty cable.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

TCS off and Slip lights are on all the time

Hi there....I have the same problem with my 01 20th anniversary edition...These two lights are on in addition to the service engine soon....Car drives perfect but the gas consumption is crazy now...Took it to my mechanic, he plugged his scanner and told me that there is no primary signal to ignition....he did not know what that thing was and neither do I....Please help...car has 78000 miles on it.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Zaeem1977
Hi there....I have the same problem with my 01 20th anniversary edition...These two lights are on in addition to the service engine soon....Car drives perfect but the gas consumption is crazy now...Took it to my mechanic, he plugged his scanner and told me that there is no primary signal to ignition....he did not know what that thing was and neither do I....Please help...car has 78000 miles on it.
your best bet would be to find a local member to check out your max, your problem could be that you need a new alternator, your mechanic needs a better scan tool also cause it should of been able to tell you why you have a service engine light on lol
Old 10-08-2009, 05:12 AM

i was thinking alternator but ehh not so much i had the same problem and it was a speed sensor in one of my wheels, i had no cel. i waited a week for the appt to fix it but before i went then the lights went off. not saying thats guna happen to u but iirc there was a thread before about it and they had the same issue and it turned out to be that as well
Old 10-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for your prompt replies....forgot to mention that I recently changed the alternator, starter, battery and the crank sensor....this took place like a month ago before these things happen....Today, my mechanic did a tune-up and cleared the lights....the lights came back on 20 min later. I took it to another mechanic and he had no idea where to even start.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:31 PM

Thanks for your prompt replies....forgot to mention that I recently changed the alternator, starter, battery and the crank sensor....this took place like a month ago before these things happen....Today, my mechanic did a tune-up and cleared the lights....the lights came back on 20 min later. I took it to another mechanic and he had no idea where to even start.
Is your TCS Off light on also? If so, it's probably an ABS sensor.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:35 AM

you need find a local maybe that has access to the nissan obd2 scan tool otherwise your gonna end up paying 100 bucks to the dealer for them to hook it up and tell you which abs sensor is bad, then the abs sensor is around 120-150 bucks depending which one
Old 02-01-2010, 05:37 AM

Ok so, I just replaced my camshaft position sencor last thursday on my 2000 auto. maxima, erased the SES code off the dash... 100$ latter and yesterday,turn on my car, and the SES, TCS, and Slip lights turn on all at the same time again with the engine sputtering .. < by the way, the sputtering of the engine only accures once the TCS and Slip lights come on 4 times a week in average. The SES is constantly on since the issue started when I baught it. It was very disapointing.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I need help to find out the best way to fix the SES light in my 2000 Maxima GLE.

SES, SLIP and TCS lights come on simultaneously. After re-starting the car the SLIP and TCS light go away and return from time to time. SES light remained on.

Connected OBD II computer and registered code P0160. Code reset and drove car for ~ 200 miles. Code P0160 never came back again.

SES light came on again. Codes P1320 and P1614 registered. Car is turning on fine and no problems noticed starting the car.

SES went off by itself (no battery disconnect or light reset) and then all three lights came back after ~ 70 miles.

SES came back and SLIP and TCS off remained off. Brought it to the mechanic and Codes P1320 and P1614 were read again. Car IS NOT misfiring so the mechanic indicated that P1320 might be due to some sort of problem in one of the coils. However, since the car is not misfiring and we are not getting any of the codes to identify the specific coil, the only solution to get rid of the code now is to change all 6 coils which is very expensive. Code P1614 we are not sure what is causing this. The car came with an aftermarket alarm (Viper with remote start) and he believes that can be the problem but did not provide any direction as to how to fix it. I know there is a way to test a malfunctioning coil when the engine is misfiring by removing each coil and watching for no change in performance but since the car is working fine I do not think that is an alternative
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 AM

You don't have to double post your problem/question...
Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 PM

im having the same problem and its annoying, SES, SLIP TCS all on and when the car comes to a stop, the exhaust sounds like traction control is kicking in. when i give it gas, it sounds like tcs is kicking in limiting the power to the wheels, yet i can still accelerate. i connected to scanner and got P1320: ignition signal primary circuit fault. i turn the car off and on sometimes it runs as if nothing happened and most of the time i get hte slip/tcs issue. we had some real crappy weather here in ny, abs sensor?!?! please help, tired of spending money on this car, fix one issue the next happens..

Last edited by aznaliaz; 03-01-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "TCS OFF" and "SLIP" lights came on... HELP!!!!!