4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Change power steering fluid?

Old 12-09-2008, 06:50 AM

Change power steering fluid?

My 98 Maxima has never had a power steering flush.

How can I do this/
Old 12-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Get a turkey baster, suck out old fluid, replace with fresh. Run the engine and turn the steering wheel lock to lock, then repeat 2 or 3x.

Do this several times over a week's period to get the system flushed out.

I run AMSOIL ATF in my PS system.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Maintenance Monster

I changed mine out with a turkey baster using Mobil1 Synthetic ATF.

If I had to do it again I'd use more Nissan PS fluid. My PS lines running to/from the reservoir are sweating ATF and leaking because I think the Mobil1 isn't compatible with the hoses.

Dave
Old 12-09-2008, 04:49 PM

or just pay your mechanic to hook it up to a machine and do it right. about 50.00 and its done right the first time.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

In my 99 maxima owners manual, they recommend Dexron III fluid, which is also known as ATF. I just used a turkey baster to siphon out the old power steering fluid. You don't have to worry about taking out too much because there is a plastic stop that prevents you from doing so. Here's a great link:

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/702
Old 12-10-2008, 03:29 AM

I would disconect the low pressure return line and let it drain while turning the wheel lock to lock. This should remove almost all the fluid( turkey baster will only get a small amount out) you can tape a bottle to the hose so no fluid sprays on the car. With the tb method you could be mixing fluids if a previous owner or stupid mech put the wrong fluid in previously.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by holymoly
My 98 Maxima has never had a power steering flush.

How can I do this/
Ditto to the DIY route. I used Nissan's OEM fluid mixed with Lucas Power Steering additive. It does help.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:12 AM

Is there a reason to change this fluid?

(14 1/3 years and counting here on the original PS fluid)
Old 12-10-2008, 07:05 AM

i did it on my 4th gen and if felt like the steering wheel responded a lilttle better.....
Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by nafddur
Is there a reason to change this fluid?
Because it gets old.

Use the turkey baster for the fluid above the reservoir's diaphragm... disconnect the lines and drain the remaining fluid from below the diaphragm.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:11 AM

Do IT

I got a electric fuel pump for r/c airplanes from a hobbie shop for about $15. I can get a all the way to the bottom of the tank and it a lot less mess and quicker. I tried the turkey baster and always got fluid everywhere.

I do this about once a year now takes very little time. I do all the cars at the same time. Buy 2 qt of fluid and keep flushing till its all gone.

I dont know how necessary this is but its cheep and replacing ps parts is expensive. 215k miles and still going strong!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey i am having a steering issue.. i have maxima 3.5 2004 ... just started when i turn corners it seems harder to turn like power is off!!! there is no light sayin i have power steering problem!! what do i do? how do i know if i need fluid??? there is no nose or sounds.. just hard to turn and the wheel doesn't turn back i have to turn it back!!!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by rjtheman
hey i am having a steering issue.. i have maxima 3.5 2004 ... just started when i turn corners it seems harder to turn like power is off!!! there is no light sayin i have power steering problem!! what do i do? how do i know if i need fluid??? there is no nose or sounds.. just hard to turn and the wheel doesn't turn back i have to turn it back!!!!!
I'm in the same situation my friend. I've got an 04, 3.5 SE and approx. 4 days ago I experienced the same. I though I had a flat tire at first but a walkaround helped me think otherwise. I just checked the fluid and it appears to be slightly below the (hot) max level. I don't think I'm losing fluid, but I want to check with my mechanic ASAP. I've also got 112k miles and I recall the fluid was changed within the past 2 years. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:00 PM

Thanks for all the input.

Why the hell I thionk of this in December? Maybe I'll wait till spring or do it now.....
Old 12-20-2008, 01:50 PM

yea i just did mine used the turkey baster then disconnected the lower hose and flushed the fluid out. Replaced it with Mobil Synetic 1 and doing it every few days to clean out the system with old fluid
Old 12-24-2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by wirelessdude04
yea i just did mine used the turkey baster then disconnected the lower hose and flushed the fluid out. Replaced it with Mobil Synetic 1 and doing it every few days to clean out the system with old fluid
If you kept flushing, how many bottles of Mobil Synthetic you went through?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:43 AM

Easiest thing to check is your fluid level make sure its at the proper level and that you have no leaks. Alignment alright? Other possibilities binding on steering assembly, or balljoints, tie-rod ends and rack and pinion.

Check your tire pressure......
Old 12-24-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by holymoly
If you kept flushing, how many bottles of Mobil Synthetic you went through?
i bought three.. My friend works at a auto place so it was free.99
Old 12-25-2008, 03:16 AM

I dunno about using too slippert MOBIL ATF, that **** is hella slippery.

A simple turkey baster flush/refill over the course of 2-3 days or whatever is fine. Never let it go empty or have air in it, though people say it auto bleeds itself.

What you can do is:

Car Off:
-Fill - Pump Out - Fill again

Car On:
-Turn P/S or drive

Car Off:
-Repeat drain refill.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 AM

What I did with a helper was pull the ps return line from the reservoir, drain, cap the nipple on the reservoir, and fill with Mobil 1 ATF, return line directed to a bucket. Helper starts car and turns wheel back and forth while I keep adding ATF to reservoir. You may need helper to stop car so you can keep up. Don't let it run dry, air in the system can create a frothy strawberry milkshake mess, and low fluid level once the bubbles come out.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:07 PM

how common is it that more power steering fluid should be added to the car...seems as if i am putting in more every two weeks
Old 01-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Conecarver

You shouldn't be losing fluid - it's not like an engine buring it. Any leaks under the rack area?

I let my local Mobil Express change mine every 2-3yrs for $40 using their pump.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:38 PM

i havent checked the rack area....i asked my mechanic and they told me that it may be a small leak, but i have noticed a decrease in having to add more since i began driving more frequently....
Old 10-09-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Law520
I'm in the same situation my friend. I've got an 04, 3.5 SE and approx. 4 days ago I experienced the same. I though I had a flat tire at first but a walkaround helped me think otherwise. I just checked the fluid and it appears to be slightly below the (hot) max level. I don't think I'm losing fluid, but I want to check with my mechanic ASAP. I've also got 112k miles and I recall the fluid was changed within the past 2 years. I'll let you know what I find.
Hey guys, I also have an 04 3.5 SE, any updates on what happened with yours? I don't believe mine has ever been changed (at least not while I have been the owner), but it has the same exact symptom. I'm right now in the middle of changing my PS fluid for the first time.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Curt Deiner
What I did with a helper was pull the ps return line from the reservoir, drain, cap the nipple on the reservoir, and fill with Mobil 1 ATF, return line directed to a bucket. Helper starts car and turns wheel back and forth while I keep adding ATF to reservoir. You may need helper to stop car so you can keep up. Don't let it run dry, air in the system can create a frothy strawberry milkshake mess, and low fluid level once the bubbles come out.
I did mine this way by myself. Duct tape the return line into a 2 liter soda bottle. Fill reservoir and start. shut off before reservoir goes empty
(~3 seconds). I used just less than 2 quarts of Chevron MD-3 ATF.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
I did mine this way by myself. Duct tape the return line into a 2 liter soda bottle. Fill reservoir and start. shut off before reservoir goes empty
(~3 seconds). I used just less than 2 quarts of Chevron MD-3 ATF.

i changed all the fluids in the car when i bought it now i know when to do em next!

also, our system is self bleeding so just recheck the level after a short drive!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:50 PM

My car seems to have a slow leak during cold weather. Anyone finds the culprit?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 PM

would Mobil 1 ATF work in our P/S system? i seen one guy here say it caused him leaks but maybe thats just his car... isn't it like Dextron III?
Old 05-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
Ditto to the DIY route. I used Nissan's OEM fluid mixed with Lucas Power Steering additive. It does help.
Which is the return line? Fat one going towards fire wall or skinny one going towards radiator?
Also how to remove the black top cover on the white plastic tank? Twist or pry open? Seems very hard to twist!
Can some one please share experience?
Thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 06:39 AM
wxm

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
would Mobil 1 ATF work in our P/S system? i seen one guy here say it caused him leaks but maybe thats just his car... isn't it like Dextron III?
Any Dextron III compatible would do including Mobil 1 ATF. Though Mobile 1 is expensive, I did it with some cheaper one from Walmart.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by signals
Which is the return line? Fat one going towards fire wall or skinny one going towards radiator?
Also how to remove the black top cover on the white plastic tank? Twist or pry open? Seems very hard to twist!
Can some one please share experience?
Thanks
you twist off.
I would also like to know which one is the return line. I'm thinking the fat one, can someone confirm?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Banned

funny u asked about p/s fluid

I just posted a question about a p/s cooler and someone on the .org pretty much said i was stupid for changing the fluid in the p/s res. 8 times with a turkey baster over a weeks time...he said (and i will try an exact quote)

"Why the heck are you changing your power steering fluid so often? there are much more beneficial maintenance items you could be doing instead of wasting your time changing something that can literally go like 5-10 years without a change."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
But others have said "the fresher the fluid the less heat it will produce therefore (in theory anyway) the easier on the pump and rack and possibly extend the life of the pump or other parts!.

^^^^^^^
i tend to think the guy who wrote this had some common sense! and i agree with his assessment