4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

P0505, Idle control malf.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 PM

P0505, Idle control malf.

Ok, I know I've been having some major problems with my car, like the d*** knock sensor. The knock sensor is screwed, infact, while trying to unbolt it, it broke. I ordered a new knock sensor, so it'll be here soon, and I'll get a shop to take the hole thing apart, to put the new knock sensor on. The thread isnt about the knock sensor, its about a code that I got (I didnt just get it, because its been a problem, the last time I got the car fixed, they told me my best bet would be to get a brand new MAF). I got a new scanner recently (sorry to theperson that sold me it, I forgot your name), so I've been trying to work out the codes.

I got a Idle control malfunction code (P0505), and I would like to know from the people that have had the most exp. with Maxima's (1995 to be exact). What would be my best bet, a new MAF or what? I'm going to change my O2 sensor when I get some extra money, I dont know if that could be a problem or not. I recently cleaned my MAF, it looked just like a new one would, the screen is clean, everything, theres just a couple scratches. I didnt put it in water, I cleaned it with a rag. It took a very long time, but I did it.

So, if you can help me, that would be great. Also if it happens to be my MAF, can you please tell me a place to get it the cheapest (I
'd rather get a new one).
Old 01-04-2009, 01:12 PM

Searched for what? I didnt want to tear into my car, when its bad as is. From what I think, and what the shop told me, I still think its the MAF. I dont know what to look into, tell me what to look for.

With all the sensors that I have in my car (and most likely, the previous owner prolly did not change) it might just crack or break once I try to remove it. Just tell me what to look at, or what to look for.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:50 PM

I researched it, and it said its Idle control system malfunction.

The reason why I think its the MAF, because the shop said it might be the MAF, because as I stated before, I dont think the previous owners replaced much, like sensors or such.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:00 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by snowboi1289
I researched it, and it said its Idle control system malfunction.

The reason why I think its the MAF, because the shop said it might be the MAF, because as I stated before, I dont think the previous owners replaced much, like sensors or such.
So if the shop told you that you needed a new headgasket to fix your p0505 code, would you say OK and pay hundreds for the repair?

You have to do your own research. You have a massive amount of information available on this site, easily accessible through the search. Just search for P0505 or, even, IACV.

This should get you started, it has pictures of the IACV location, what it looks like, how to clean it, etc:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ning-iacv.html

Just about any question that you may have about the car can be answered through the search. That is, of course, Unless you like blindly throwing money at your car in an attempt to fix problems. Then by all means, replace the MAF because Joe the Mechanic said so.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:25 PM

No. I dont have time to read all your posts, I'm cleaning my IACV right now. Just went on the computer to tell everybody.

I underrstand what everybody is saying(even though I didnt read anything, the only thing a read was the first sentance CRiME posted).
Old 01-04-2009, 05:53 PM

If you (pmohr) would stop being a fuc***' ****, then I could get to what I can say!!! Damn, do you even have any friends acting like that!

I cleaned the IACV, it was fairly dirty, but yet, I still got the code. Its P0505. Thank you Crime, for giving me that link, even though I already seen it, and was cleaning the IACV. I cleaned all the connections to the MAF and the IACV, so I'm pretty sure thats not a problem anymore(the connections that is).

pmohr, if you dont wanna be nice, stay outta my thread. I dont wanna argue like kid (you might be a kid, I dont care). I'm clearly acting like an adult, and you keep making these stupid *** posts. Grow up.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:17 PM

The reason why I didnt read ALL the f posts, because I was working on taking off the IACV at the time, and it was fixing to rain, unfortunitly I did not park my car on the side of my house, because it looked like a good day.

Dude or dudet, just stop, dont even bother repling. I did read all your posts, thankyou for the help that you did give me(I dont recal seeing anyway that you could have helped). I did happen to search, as I do before posting.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:18 PM
No more Maximas...

Dude or dudet, just stop, dont even bother repling.
Fine by me, newbie. Have fun replacing parts at random...

Last edited by pmohr; 01-04-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:14 PM

I'm not a newbie. Name calling, sign of a child. Seriously, just stop replying, because your not going help. I will have to say thanks for the FSM link in your signature, thats the only reason why I would say thank you.

Again, if you dont actually wanna help, and if you still wanna be a child, then dont reply.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Absolutely unbeleaveable..... Sometimes they just don't get it do they.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:07 AM

?? What are you talking about? Please explain?

I posted this thread for one reason, to fix my car. Right now, I'm getting stupid posts in the thread for trying to fix my car. I'm sorry if I dont know that much about my car as you other people do, I'm just now getting into my car, like replacing major parts and stuff. I cant afford and dont wanna take it to a repair shop and not know what they did, and how they fixed the problem. I gotta start somewhere, I'm sure most of you people that know alot about Maxima's started out the same way.

I've been researching, calling people and emailing people for more information about parts and prices, so give me and all the other peopel a break.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:50 PM
oem ftw!

?? What are you talking about? Please explain?

I posted this thread for one reason, to fix my car. Right now, I'm getting stupid posts in the thread for trying to fix my car. I'm sorry if I dont know that much about my car as you other people do, I'm just now getting into my car, like replacing major parts and stuff. I cant afford and dont wanna take it to a repair shop and not know what they did, and how they fixed the problem. I gotta start somewhere, I'm sure most of you people that know alot about Maxima's started out the same way.

I've been researching, calling people and emailing people for more information about parts and prices, so give me and all the other peopel a break.
Well, before he deleted the posts, all he was pointing out to you was that you needed to test the IACV using the instructions in the FSM. He only brought up the other posts where people solved their problems because you seemed ready to go out and buy a new MAF at $150+, when you would have been stuck with the same problem and 150 fewer dollars in your pocket.

He was just trying to point you in the right direction, I didn't see any hostility in his posts, at all. The only one making hostile posts was you man. We're all just trying to help you solve your problem. If the cleaning didn't work, try testing it with the instructions in the FSM. Also check the continuity of the wiring harnesses. I don't have the page handy but it should all be in there, and testing it should only require a multimeter.

Worst comes to worst, people sell IACV's on this site all the time, I think goldtooth was selling one for $25 shipped at one point. You shouldn't have a problem finding one. There is really no need to buy that part brand new, you'll just end up spending more money.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:03 PM

I wasnt going to buy a new MAF, until I figured out what the problem is. Thank you CRiME for clearing the problem up, but there was hostility in his posts, I wasnt just take it, when I asked a very simple question. I wasnt trying to start something, I'm just trying to get help figuring out a problem, isnt that the reason why this site started?

I just got done doing a brake job on both my Maxima, and (what I consider) the Chrysler Cirrus (you can find the car in a FS thread). My back hurts, my hands have cuts/gashes, and I'm tired as hell.

I went to FSM, but I dont know what to go to, theres just abr. that I dont understand right now.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:34 PM
oem ftw!

In the FSM, open the EC page and go down to EC-126, that's the page that outlines the testing procedure.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 PM

fyi it's page EC 305 in the version of the manual that I have.