4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Coolant Flush

Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 PM
wxm

Coolant Flush

My 95 Max is due for a coolant flush, and this time I plan to do it myself as I don't think the dealer did thorough flush. I also plan to take the chance to switch to Toyota red. I have heard good result from the others, and more important it will be easier for my shopping and stocking as my other two cars are both Toyota's. Of course, it will also depend on whether I can manage to pull the two engine block drain plugs out so that I will get a complete flush - definitely don't want to have a mix between the red and green. Does anyone have concerns of using Toyota red?

In addition, does anyone use the Prestone Tee to flush the system WITHOUT cut the heater inlet/outlet hose? I would appreciated if you can provide some pictures...

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:32 PM

dont use the "toyota red". that is dexcool coolant. this may sound a lil weird but this coolant has an organic acid in it. it could mess up some seals in your engine or possibly the water pump. the green was what was meant to run in the car, so just run the green. i have seen peoples cars that put this in and lets just say that they had some repairs to do to the car......
Old 01-10-2009, 11:08 PM
wxm

Another question. Has any one tried the Prestone Coolant Flush Kit? I am thinking to go buy one and give a shot. Though, I will need to figure out where to tap the Tee connector into - maybe between the heater inlet hose and water pump (I have not idea where they are for the 95 max). I will definitely NOT cut the hose, instead use additional hose to re-route the connector if needed. I appreciate any info if you have done this before. Some pictures will be more helpful.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:17 AM

I flush my coolant every ~1.5 yrs and I do so by removing the thermostat, putting the housing back on and put a garden hose to it. Pull the outlet hose to a catch pan and run the car. Takes about 15 sec for everything to get flushed. And don't forget to run the heater to flush the core. Oh, I flush the radiator first. PITA but I know I'm getting a 100% flush every time. And I use Toyota Pink. Been using it for the past 5 yrs. Got 137K on the clock.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:26 AM

My suggestion is to use distilled ater instead of a garden hose. Tap water is not good for some of the parts in the system. With that said. it negates trying to use the PRestone T flush system.

A couple gallons of 75 cent a gallon distilled water and you are safe. And I'm not sure about your Gen, but I have heard only good things about Toyota Pink on the new Gens. All the guys in the Acura Forum are big on it also.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:01 AM
wxm

Originally Posted by magic_max
I flush my coolant every ~1.5 yrs and I do so by removing the thermostat, putting the housing back on and put a garden hose to it. Pull the outlet hose to a catch pan and run the car. Takes about 15 sec for everything to get flushed. And don't forget to run the heater to flush the core. Oh, I flush the radiator first. PITA but I know I'm getting a 100% flush every time. And I use Toyota Pink. Been using it for the past 5 yrs. Got 137K on the clock.
Thanks for the reply magic_max. Just want to clarify that two details here:
(1) After remvoing the thermostat, where do you connect the gardon hose - rad cap?

(2) Which one is the outlet hose that you pull out for a catch pan?

Also, how often do you replace the thermostat?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by fishforlife2007
dont use the "toyota red". that is dexcool coolant. this may sound a lil weird but this coolant has an organic acid in it. it could mess up some seals in your engine or possibly the water pump. the green was what was meant to run in the car, so just run the green. i have seen peoples cars that put this in and lets just say that they had some repairs to do to the car......

I have never heard that ever. Many people on this forum use Toyo red, it is regarded as one of the best fluids we can buy. Check the fluids forum for more info. There is sticky that says hows to flush the coolant.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Toyota Red is ment for Toyotas cooling systems, they are designed to use it.
Our 4th gen NISSAN Maxima is NOT designed to use Toyota Red or Dexacool products.

Use premixed coolant if your worried about the water.

Personally, I have never flushed any cooling system in any car I've ever owned. Just drain and refill every 60K or so. Never had a cooling system problem in any vehicle I've owned either. My 99 Max has 160K on it, and the cooling system has been drained and refilled only 2x. I use some generic brand green premix, no water needed.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by wxm
Another question. Has any one tried the Prestone Coolant Flush Kit? I am thinking to go buy one and give a shot. Though, I will need to figure out where to tap the Tee connector into - maybe between the heater inlet hose and water pump (I have not idea where they are for the 95 max). I will definitely NOT cut the hose, instead use additional hose to re-route the connector if needed. I appreciate any info if you have done this before. Some pictures will be more helpful.
Is that the one that hooks up to a garden hose? If so, I cannot think of a worse idea. Your average tap water is loaded with the kind of minerals and crap you're trying to remove.

IMO, it's as easy as draining the coolant and replacing it. Use only distilled water if you need water. If you do that every now and then, your coolant will remain clean and the concentration of bad stuff will stay low always.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Kevlo for President

http://forums.maxima.org/fluids-lubr...look-like.html

Toyo Red is alot like the Nissan green. Nissan green is NOT the same stuff you buy from the store.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by wxm
Thanks for the reply magic_max. Just want to clarify that two details here:
(1) After remvoing the thermostat, where do you connect the gardon hose - rad cap?

(2) Which one is the outlet hose that you pull out for a catch pan?

Also, how often do you replace the thermostat?
(1) At the end of the hose that connects to the thermostat housing.
(2) Hose that goes to the top of the radiator. I have to extend the hose with another hose and put it to the catch pan.

I replace it every time I flush it along with the gasket. It's not too expensive and since I'm in there not worth my trouble to re-use the old one.

Good tip on the tap water but I guess my signature does not have my location. I'm in Hawaii so we don't worry about exsessive minerals in the water. It's ok for us to use tap water for our cooling systems. Not sure what I would do if I were you guys.

njmaxseltd...with an engine looking that nice, I'm supprised you only do the drain and fill, on such long intervals too. But I guess if it works for you why not. I tend to over kill maintenance things on my car but what can I say, I love this machine.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:40 AM

This is 100% no BS my 98 Max has the original anti freeze. 324,000 miles. I operate my car from 100 to -30 degree's.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Addicted to the Org

I flushed mine not too long ago. Went ahead and changed the thermostat and radiator as well. I used the toyota red coolant. It was 22 for the gallon. You cannot go wrong with that. Also get some distalled water. I used 8 gallons and that made it come out almost crystal clear. Isn't hard to do at all. Just time consuming.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Stevenjc
This is 100% no BS my 98 Max has the original anti freeze. 324,000 miles. I operate my car from 100 to -30 degree's.
Is the water pump original?

The biggest reason to change coolant is to reduce the chance of water pump and thermostat failure, and reduce deposits in the cooling passages. The coolant itself remains useful for cooling and antifreezing. VQ's are pretty robust in their cooling systems, other cars are not (like my RX-7).

In any case, your system does not have any tap water in it. IMO, If you intend to hook a hose up or use tap water, you're better off doing nothing.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:48 PM

consider mixing in a bottle of Redline's Water Wetter work's wonder's and reduces engine temp
Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Is the water pump original?

The biggest reason to change coolant is to reduce the chance of water pump and thermostat failure, and reduce deposits in the cooling passages. The coolant itself remains useful for cooling and antifreezing. VQ's are pretty robust in their cooling systems, other cars are not (like my RX-7).

In any case, your system does not have any tap water in it. IMO, If you intend to hook a hose up or use tap water, you're better off doing nothing.
Water pump and thermostat are original.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM

Water pump and thermostat are original.

WOW. I'd love to see what your cooling passages look like. Please take a pic of your water pump when you change it. I want to compare mine with yours. We would be the extremes. Maybe I'm wasting my time. I posted my WP pic in my WP writeup.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:58 PM
KH3 by popular demand

I haven't changed mine at all and the operating temps are fine. I got the car in 01 and have never changed the antifreeze. Thinking about it though. I had a stanza before this and had to flush it because it started running hot. Flushed and got a bunch of junk out and it ran fine. You're technically supposed to change out the raditor hoses out too at an interval, but if it aint broke, no need to fix it.