5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor (Phase) Circuit (Bank 1)

Old 01-25-2009, 04:23 PM

P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor (Phase) Circuit (Bank 1)

Ok,

Basically, the car died on me after going around a left turn from a stop light. I coasted about 200 feet, got the car into neutral and turned the key. It fired right back up but of course I had a bunch of lights flashing at me. I was right at the entrance of my neighborhood luckily. Unfortunately, I did not have alot of time to play with it that evening so it pretty much just sat in the garage. Then yesterday I ended up having to drive it before playing with it again. Low an behold at about 65mph on the highway on the way to a dinner with the wife, the car tried to shut off again. I think the only thing that kept it going this time was the speed but who knows. Once again, the TCS light and Slip lights came on and the SES light was already on. At this point be had been driving for about 40 minutes and had been on the highway for at least 30 miles of that. I mean, this is coming out of the frickn blue here!

A buddy and I scanned it today and see what it was. I then double checked the connections and wires as far as I could and they all look good. We even cleaned the connection points. I have read through the forum here and have see a few things but no real answers to the problem.

Honestly, the car runs strong. It is an 03 I35 and has about 90,000k on it, new belts, plugs, packs all checked out, just changed the oil two weeks ago, new brakes... I just don't get it. The last thing I want to do is to start chasing a problem and dumping money into it. That being the case, I would rather just buy a new car! The only performance mods, if that is what you want to call it is a cai and springs.

Any info you guys might have would be great.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:37 PM

had this happen to me on my 02 max about a month back and i was shocked as well.. but im not sure what you're trying to ask here..? i had to change my camshaft position sensor.. easy install.. took literally 5 mins but cost $80 at Nissan
Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 PM
No more Maximas...

Did you do any actual tests, or just look at it?

Diagnostics start on EC-322, testing the sensor itself is on EC-325.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:43 PM

I have not tested anything. Only disconnected the wire, cleaned it up and plugged it back in. Nothing appeared to be chipped as the FSM suggested and there really was not any debris in there. We reset the ecu while it was connected to the scanner but that was about it. I have not printed out the page (ec-325) and wil try to play around with it tomorrow but I will need to get my hands on a volt meter to really test it.

Thanks for the fsm link as I was having trouble tracking that down as well.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:43 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

There is a recall for the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. Your dealer should be able to tell you if the work has been done on your car.

I get that code occasionally but there are no real symptoms other than a slight hesitation and a pending code that doesn't turn on the SES light. Sometimes it seems to put the car in a limp home or safe mode, other times the car drives perfectly. Turn it off, reset the code and it will drive fine for the next month or two. So random it is hard to diagnose. The recall work was done on my car at 43,000 miles and I replaced the proper camshaft position sensor when I first got the code. Still get it every month or two.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:38 AM

When we checked the code it only stated, "Camshaft Position Sensor A. Circuit" Yet everything else I have been reading says "phase" and "bank". At this point I do not know which sensor is the problem. I mean is it the intake or exhaust? Are they the same part number?

I am not the original owner of the car so I have no clue if the warranty work was ever done before but I will call the dealership and see what they have to say. I guess, the worst case here is that I both and replace both sensors. I will definitely be calling a Nissan dealership rather than the Infiniti dealership!
Old 01-26-2009, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
There is a recall for the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. Your dealer should be able to tell you if the work has been done on your car.

I get that code occasionally but there are no real symptoms other than a slight hesitation and a pending code that doesn't turn on the SES light. Sometimes it seems to put the car in a limp home or safe mode, other times the car drives perfectly. Turn it off, reset the code and it will drive fine for the next month or two. So random it is hard to diagnose. The recall work was done on my car at 43,000 miles and I replaced the proper camshaft position sensor when I first got the code. Still get it every month or two.
I found another thread this morning that you actually commented on back in early 08 about this same thing and printed out the recall notice from there. The guy in that thread was told that his car was not affected by the recall and he was fighting with NNA but the thread ended and there was no resolution to his problem. Not sure if he got it warrantied or paid out of pocket. I am thinking he had to pay as NNA is very specific about their warranty work.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:42 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by DamSedan
When we checked the code it only stated, "Camshaft Position Sensor A. Circuit" Yet everything else I have been reading says "phase" and "bank". At this point I do not know which sensor is the problem. I mean is it the intake or exhaust? Are they the same part number?

I am not the original owner of the car so I have no clue if the warranty work was ever done before but I will call the dealership and see what they have to say. I guess, the worst case here is that I both and replace both sensors. I will definitely be calling a Nissan dealership rather than the Infiniti dealership!
Look at the definition of the code, P0340 is bank 1 (rear). The 'phase' is just about how it works.

What do you mean intake or exhaust? You don't have a CPS per cam, only one per bank. It reads off of the intake cam, though don't really see why it matters

They're different part numbers, I believe it's just in how the case is molded for the bolt hole.

Pretty much just call up the service department with your VIN, they should be able to tell you.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 AM

Go figure, my car has no recalls listed on it. I guess the next thing to do is to track down the actual part number and order the part.

Sorry for the confusion on this. I mentioned earlier that this is my first real experience with this motor and am not sure how these sensors are situated. When I look at the exploded view of the motor, it shows that there are two Camshaft Position Sensors. This is why I was asking which one. According to the diagram there is a sensor on each camshaft, intake and exhaust respectfully.

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Image:Manual_cams.jpg

In the diagram they are labeled as #'s 16/17 They are listed as Right Hand (RH) bank and Left Hand (LH) bank. In our cars due to the engine being mounted differently I would assume this would mean front and rear banks with the intake being towards the rear or firewall and the exhaust being towards the front.

Last edited by DamSedan; 01-26-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 AM

Ok, I found the definition for the code and the 0340 is for the Intake side so I am clear on that. Thanks for the gentle reminder to look for the definition.

Calling now for a part number/price.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:30 AM
No more Maximas...

Sorry for the confusion on this. I mentioned earlier that this is my first real experience with this motor and am not sure how these sensors are situated. When I look at the exploded view of the motor, it shows that there are two Camshaft Position Sensors. This is why I was asking which one. According to the diagram there is a sensor on each camshaft, intake and exhaust respectfully.

In the diagram they are labeled as #'s 16/17 They are listed as Right Hand (RH) bank and Left Hand (LH) bank. In our cars due to the engine being mounted differently I would assume this would mean front and rear banks with the intake being towards the rear or firewall and the exhaust being towards the front.
There's no CPS on the exhaust cam, only the intake cam. You keep saying intake and exhaust as if this were a 4 cylinder, but you've got exhaust ports facing both the radiator and the firewall, with the intake in the middle.

Right hand bank is rear, left bank is front.

Ok, I found the definition for the code and the 0340 is for the Intake side so I am clear on that. Thanks for the gentle reminder to look for the definition.

Calling now for a part number/price.
Rear bank PN is 23731-6J906, $65.66 from Courtesy. Call Dave B, you'll get it cheaper.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
There's no CPS on the exhaust cam, only the intake cam. You keep saying intake and exhaust as if this were a 4 cylinder, but you've got exhaust ports facing both the radiator and the firewall, with the intake in the middle.

Rear bank PN is 23731-6J906, $65.66 from Courtesy. Call Dave B, you'll get it cheaper.
I am straight now. after reviewing the diagram for a little longer I realized I was using the wrong terminology. Yes, exhaust on both sides w/ intake cam in the middle. All good.

Thanks for the part number. I will jot that down. I ended up pulling the sensor last night, cleaning it, checking the harnass and grounds. All bolts were tightened/cleaned. ECU has been reset and at the moment all is going well. If this pops up again, I will order the part and go from there.

As I side note, I finally pulled the plastic engine cover. OMG, it was filthy under there! I sware the engine bay now looks like a new car again. Go figure, it is now snowing today!

Thanks again!
Old 02-10-2009, 03:49 AM

Well, it came back. I guess it has been about 3 weeks. Unfortunately, it happened 3 times yesterday and twice this morning. I did not have time to reset the ecu or get ahold of my buddy to run the scan tool and clear it all. I am guessing this is why it has happened so many times in such a short time frame. It has been rediculous. It actually happened 3 blocks from the dealership when I was heading there to see what they sold the part for ($91.20!!!). Then it flat out shut off after I left there and it shut off again this morning when sitting still in the parking lot waiting for the gym to open!

Man, gotta get this part quick! Gonna call Coutesy here in just a little bit to getter done!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:51 AM

If you happen to replace the sensor by yourself could you please take some snaps and post it over here
Old 02-10-2009, 06:53 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Wildcat_Max
If you happen to replace the sensor by yourself could you please take some snaps and post it over here
His shots won't help you at all, assuming your profile is correct and you haven't done an engine swap.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:49 PM

Well, I would have to say that I am quite annoyed! I pulled out the old sensor and noticed that the sensor end of it is rectangular. The new one is round. I called Nissan and was told that it is the updated version of the part, hence the change in part number and that it should work just fine. I said great and went at it again. This time, before installing the sensor into the car, I figured I would check to see if the connector would fit. Apparently, it does not. The lock portion on the sensor is on the opposite side as the old one and hence will not fit into the connector. If the connector is spun around it slide in perfectly until it hits the lock portion on the sensor. No can do. I called Nissan again. This time he put me on hold and called Infiniti just to confirm the part number. They confirmed that it was the exact same part number. So, now my option is to go back to the dealership tomorrow morning and return the part or exchange it for another one. There is a chance that since the box was actually opened that some how it got swapped.

I took all of these precautions prior to installing the new part as it is an electrical part and once installed they can not refund/accept it back. Got lucky this time.

It has gotten to the point that the car does not even want to start. Even though I reset the computer earlier today, when I was leaving the dealership, the car kept cranking but did not want to actually turn over. Finally it started and I made it home only for it to die in my driveway and not want to start. I have once again reset the ecu and got it started and pulled into the garage. The down side is that I need to go train someone at the gym this evening and am going to be dealing with a baby sitter at the house because the wife is at a class. Gotta love this one! Hopefully this will all work out and I will have the correct sensor in hand tomorrow morning. I will post up more details tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr

New part number according to Infiniti and Nissan is 23731-6J90B. Cost at dealership was $76. Can't complain as they had it in stock. Well, we thought it was the right one anyway! Will see tomorrow when we take a look at a couple of other ones they have on the shelf.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:32 AM

Outstanding! Turns out the sensor I was sold was the wrong one and had been put into the wrong box at some point. The parts manager even called Infiniti a second time to confirm the actual part number and sure enough they were the same. After verifying that and looking at both sensors (I pulled the front bank one and took it with me as well) he went to the back and pulled another one that had not been opened. Sure enough it was the correct one. I got home, installed the old front one as well as the new rear, fired up the car and what do you know, IT Frickn works!

I then bolted up the street to my buddies house, grabbed his lap top and ran a scan on the car, cleared the code and reset the ecu. The car runs great now. The problem has not repeated as of yet. Yesterday it tried cutting off twice going the same distance to work and 3 times on the way home so I feel confident at the moment.

I shot a couple of pictures of the actual sensor as well as the wrong sensor they gave me. I also have a couple of the engine showing exactly where the sensor is located. I will post those up this evening when I get back home.

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi,

I got a P0340 code on my 04 Maxima, Is there any recall for the camshaft sensors on 04 Maxima?
I'm taking it to a Nissan dealership tomorrow, I would really appreciate if you can reply asap.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 11:46 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by hobbes
Hi,

I got a P0340 code on my 04 Maxima, Is there any recall for the camshaft sensors on 04 Maxima?
I'm taking it to a Nissan dealership tomorrow, I would really appreciate if you can reply asap.

Thanks
Welcome to Maxima.org. You posted this in the wrong section. Also, please note that we have a search function.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:34 PM

Hey, sorry I didn't get the pictures up on here but the damn camera got dropped by one of my daughters and pretty much shattered!

In any case, I got the check engine light on again! This time we ran the code and got P0011-Camshaft position sensor-timing over advance bank 1. Odd, I got the P0340 code the last time and had to replace the sensor on bank 1. Not sure what the deal is this time. The car is not acting like it is going to stall like last time but I can say that it does feel like there is a loss of power to a degree when trying to accellerate from 60+. It also makes a loud rattling/clanking noise when the engine is under light load. I would say that the sound resembles something rubbing on a fan if you will but it sounds like it is right next to the fire wall.

I don't want to go drop another $70 on another sensor if it is something else but the only sensor I am aware of on bank one that monitors the cam shaft is the same one I replaced the last time. Make sense?????? Please help. Trying to get this straight tomorrow so I only have to miss one day of work at the most.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My wife's car is having this same issue. Thanks to the posts on here I am going to call the 800 number today to see if the car is under the recall. We bought it used in 2005 so don't know if it was fixed once or not. It it is not covered I will purchase the sensor and install it myself. Hoping this fixes the problem as those of you who have had this failure know how much fun it is to have you Maxima shut down when you are cruising down the freeway. I had a '99 Tahoe that did that once while passing a semi in the winter and after fixing that problem for the umpteenth time I traded it for a Sequoia the next year.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I also have this same problem and I need help. I replaced the sensor I wish I didn't I just read about the recalls. So its running much better but still hickupped on freeway at about 65 mph. Same code is pending! Should I reset computer? I need some help
Old 11-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Call to see if your Vin# is part of a recall.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Wildcat_Max

Hope this helps...
Old 01-27-2014, 05:26 PM

My car has this issue, sensor bad but I got the 2 replacments from napa and both aren't fixing the issue so I'm buying fro courtesy and will return the crap to napa to see if I can fix this issue.