4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Timing chain cover oil leak/ o-rings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:21 AM

Timing chain cover oil leak/ o-rings?

HI everyone,
I have read a few threads about a costly oil leak in 4th gen Maxima's, under the timing cover. Well after fixing all the other leaks, my car is most certainly leaking from the timing cover. What exactly leaks? What parts must I replace (parts numbers?) ? How is this job done? What parts need to be taken off/apart to fix my car? How much can I expect to pay? The leak is not that bad, can I just drive it the way it is, or am I risking something more costly? My mechanic called a friend of his that does many Maxima's, and the other guy claims that that "if you pull the CV joint, you can polish an area and use some JB weld or something like that to fix it without doing the entire repair"? I have no clue, can you help?

Thanks,
Zack
Old 04-06-2009, 03:14 PM

Anyone?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:46 PM

Oil flows in timing cover to keep chain oiled. If the main cover is leaking you would have to remove cover and reseal with permatex or a new gasket. Might be a smaller cover or another sensor leaking must pin point to be sure.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:53 AM

Well I remember someone posting about some sort of o-rings inside the cover, and I am sure that is my problem. All of the other oil leaks have been addressed (ps pump, oil pan, valve covers). Any ideas on this fix?

Thanks,
Zack
Old 04-08-2009, 08:14 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by caseymaxima
Well I remember someone posting about some sort of o-rings inside the cover, and I am sure that is my problem. All of the other oil leaks have been addressed (ps pump, oil pan, valve covers). Any ideas on this fix?

Thanks,
Zack
What about it?

If you're so sure it's the o-rings behind the timing cover, and you want to fix it, then remove both covers, replace the o-rings, seal everything back up.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
What about it?

If you're so sure it's the o-rings behind the timing cover, and you want to fix it, then remove both covers, replace the o-rings, seal everything back up.

What about is, what is involved in the repair? How difficult is the repair? What parts must be removed inorder to complete this repair?

Zack
Old 04-08-2009, 09:24 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by caseymaxima
What about is, what is involved in the repair? How difficult is the repair? What parts must be removed inorder to complete this repair?

Zack
What's involved is removing the front and rear covers, as above.

It's not too difficult, just takes a bit of time (and experience, really).

You need to remove any accessories bolted to the timing covers, remove the front cover, remove the timing chain and timing gears, remove the rear cover, replace the o-rings. Clean everything, put everything back together.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:05 AM

Any idea what this timing cover repair will cost being done at a shop? At this point the leak (stain left on my driveway) is about the size of tennis ball on my driveway every night. The actual oil level does not drop alll that much, but my driveway is an oil slick! I get a decent discount from Nissan on parts, so what parts do I need to order to do this job correctly?

Thanks,
Zack
Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 PM

I'm actually in the middle of this job right now. I picked up my first tool the last weekend of November so I only have a couple months of experience. I have the rear cover off now, and I'm cleaning everything off and getting ready to put it back together. I took a ton of pictures and when I get it back together I'm posting a step by step write up on it. Should be a few more days since I have only a couple hours each night to work on it.

Below is the FSM diagram with the red arrows pointing to the o rings that leak.

So far I've probably put about 12 hours getting down to the o rings. You should look at NISSANMAXIMA91's picture with the red circle at http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ain-cover.html

This picture helped me confirm my leak source. Now I have seen back there I am positive the rings are the culprits.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:28 PM

dontcha just love our engine's??? i love maxy, but i have to rip her apart to do main tensioner and main guide this spring as well as a water pump. ahhh, but im at almost 200,000 and want to keep her for another 50,000 or more at least.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an oil leak as well and can't seem to find it. my question is I've have an 04 with the 3.5 and wanted to know if the problems are similar. I would really like to know what are all the seals that can be replaced so I can have them at the ready and not have to go out searching while the car is dis assembled. And if anyone can point me to a walk thru i would highly appreciate it. I looked at it and I don't see how its done without dropping the motor. lol
Old 02-22-2016, 03:37 PM

OK I have exactly same problem. Exactly same amount of leak left at drive way (tennis ball size) at rear passenger side of engine between oil pressure switch and oil filter. I did replace oil pressure switch. Why I really need replace O-rings? If is timing chain cover gasket just silicone can I just put silicone or that JB weld tings around. Anyone did it?

Edit. I read at other tread that only lower tc cover need to be removed to access 2 O rings and that only two bolts hold it. True?

Last edited by bbsitum; 02-22-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:01 PM

My main idea is timing chain need oil for work. So it is not matter that 2 O rings leak as there is oil in timing chain area any way. If so problem is failed RTV gasket of taming chain? Just put some RTV around and should be done?
Old 02-22-2016, 04:11 PM
JvG

About the last thing you would want to do is to apply jb weld. You run the risk of needing to remove the cover someday, but not being able to . Now rtv might be worth a try.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:24 PM

I agree. Will go RTV route, of course after do some Googling. Will not do that soon then when MN winter get weaker in a few weeks. Will let you know if that work.