6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How do you know your strut is going or is broken??

Old 12-15-2004, 06:21 PM
2004 Smoke

How do you know your strut is going or is broken??

With just about everyone experiencing broken struts, I am assuming I am next, now having 8,000 km on my Max.

How do you actually know you have the problem? I would kinda like to find out before one collapses on me at 140 km/hr...

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 2004 Smoke
With just about everyone experiencing broken struts, I am assuming I am next, now having 8,000 km on my Max.

How do you actually know you have the problem? I would kinda like to find out before one collapses on me at 140 km/hr...

I have 21,000 km with no problems yet. Just because many people have had problems with the struts does not mean you will. Hopefully you won't.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:46 PM

You don't really notice a big difference driving, handling wise, its just that you hear a constant clap/thundering sound whenever you go over a pothole or rut with a particular wheel. My front right strut broke with all of 800 miles on the car.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:19 PM

With just about everyone experiencing broken struts, I am assuming I am next, now having 8,000 km on my Max. . .
I have about 27,700 miles on my 04SE and no strut problems (had the car over 1.5 years). It may be because many of those miles are on interstate highways between Colorado and Illinois (4 trips) or Colorado and SC (2 trips) plus the car has not seen very many pot holes either around town or on these trips.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed because of the many complaints on this site, but so far I've been lucky with my struts.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:22 PM

My struts are fine at 5K miles.

I would think turning into a parking lot or driveway where there is a gutter between the roadway and the lot/drive would be a good test of the struts. Cross the gutter at an angle, as that puts maximum torque on the car (and hence on the struts). If you hear a clunking, or other strange sound, it may be time to have your struts carefully checked.

As they are under warranty for 36K, the dealer should be willing to tell you if one is bad; Nissan will cover the cost of the new strut and labor.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I hear will sometimes hear what can closely be described as a 'squishing' sound when I go over the edge-of-parking lot gutter or hump, and other times a 'popping' sound can be heard going over the same bump. I've been told that this is most likely a strut issue (it seems to always come from the front, but I haven't been able to determine which side it is coming from yet). Are these the symptoms that everyone else has been experiencing?

I told my dealer that I was having some strut concerns, and he basically blew me off.. I've been in there so many times for different things that all he said on the customer sheet was "customer has suspension concern", and he proceeded to drive over the roughest road possible - and didn't find a thing wrong.... all the while giving me that fake "I hate you" smile. I wonder what he'll do when I hand him the shimmy TSB?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The sound that i experienced was a definite, repetitive clunking noise which was quite noticable on any bumps in the road. They replaced my right strut.

Bob
Old 12-16-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by SilverBelle04
The sound that i experienced was a definite, repetitive clunking noise which was quite noticable on any bumps in the road. They replaced my right strut.

Bob
These clunking noice , can you hear them with all windows up, is it that audible?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:43 PM

Does not happen to everyone. Seems this problem with the Max struts scared quite a few people. You will hear a nice knock or bang when it happens. All is well on my 04 and not going to worry about it. Never heard of a strut on a 6th gen blowing out at highway speeds and causing an accident. If anything, you will hear it starting when you go over speed bumps or dips in your driveway. I have 20" rims and 35 sidewall tires.....I imagine that puts a lot more stress on my struts than a Max with stock 17 or 18 inch tires....more sidewall to bounce and absorb the impact.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by silvermax04
These clunking noice , can you hear them with all windows up, is it that audible?

yes its a loud bang, you will hear it in the car with the windows up. alos if you have concerns about the struts take a quick look at them. if you see them leaking, your strut is blown. also you could "jounce" the area of the car that you suspect to be a problem (in other words push down on it to make the suspension work) it it recovers fast and not much bouncing then the struts are fine. if it dosent recover quickly and bounces more than 4 times by itself then you wanna have them checked.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:35 PM

On my 04 when I had it 2 weeks after we bought it, it started making a knocking sound. You will know something is broken because it would knock at every bump. The 05 so far has no problems except for the smell. Now that it's cold it doesn't smell though.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by silvermax04
Yes...definitely !
Old 01-07-2005, 09:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am currentl waiting for replacement parts for the dealer. The squishing sound will grow into a audible thumping sound as you continue to drive your car. If it gets really bad it will effect the way you car handles. My Max drives like a buck board currently. This is my third time with this problem. It is driving me nuts, to the point I have almost lost total confidence in the Maxima Product. Yes it is fast, but I want fast, but safe.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:55 PM

No offense, but do some suspension work sometime, it will help your ignornance a bit.

Struts serve only to damp the bumps you go over so you don't keep bouncing after you've got over the bump. If they blow, your car will simply be bouncy. It won't 'collapse' on you, only a spring could do that...
Old 01-08-2005, 01:36 PM

to add to Blaise it is a rattle/knock that you can here when going over bumps, I haven't had a chance to take mine in to get it fixed, but mine is audible even with the radio on (but not turned up) and the windows up. I started hearing it back when the car had about 5K on it, but it went away, now it is back in full with almost 30K on it.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:48 AM

I had a problem with my 2 front sturts this week...i started hearing a clanking noise when i'd hit a bump or pothole..took it in and sure enough my struts were busted...had them replaced and car feels good as ever...
Old 11-26-2008, 07:03 PM

I know this thread is very old, but I just started hearing a popping sound today while making a right turn off the freeway off-ramp. As I continued driving home, every time I turned the steering wheel either direction 3/4 of a turn or more, I heard a pop coming from the front left strut region of the engine bay. I'm curious if this indicated a broken or breaking strut? I have a 2005 model Max with the Racingline strut tower brace and 71,500 miles on it. Any input is much appreciated and thank you in advance!

-Steven
Old 11-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by steven614
I know this thread is very old, but I just started hearing a popping sound today while making a right turn off the freeway off-ramp. As I continued driving home, every time I turned the steering wheel either direction 3/4 of a turn or more, I heard a pop coming from the front left strut region of the engine bay. I'm curious if this indicated a broken or breaking strut? I have a 2005 model Max with the Racingline strut tower brace and 71,500 miles on it. Any input is much appreciated and thank you in advance!

-Steven
Park the car on a flat surface with the wheels straight, stand right next to the front wheel facing your hood and place both hands on the fender. Push down hard and release. The car shrut should compress and come right back up and stop, not seem bouncy, if it seems bouncy your strut is most likely blown and your spring is supporting the weight. Do it on both sides for comparison. That's the quick way I learned!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:20 PM

Did you check your Strut Tower Brace to make sure everything is tight. I just had to tighten the right side up on mine and noise has stopped.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 2004 had the strut knocking at about 100k. The car still drove fine, but the knocking drove me crazy. I replaced both front stuts (Brakes too while I had it appart). After I put it back together, I got an alinement. Drives great now, too bad they put such cheap parts in.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Learning English...

Originally Posted by costam1
My 2004 had the strut knocking at about 100k. The car still drove fine, but the knocking drove me crazy. I replaced both front stuts (Brakes too while I had it appart). After I put it back together, I got an alinement. Drives great now, too bad they put such cheap parts in.
You got OEM or aftermarket struts. Any ride difference except the knocking?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 PM

I lowered my car with Eibach springs but kept the stock strut. I am hearing the same 'knock' or 'popping' sound. I did rotate the spring from the spring perch approximately 1/4" and the sound dimenished however it is still there. 2008 with 17,000+ miles on it and factory 18's.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:12 PM

I will bump this since my 06 MAx now has 57K on it and the knocking noise on every single pothole or bump is driving me nuts. Just googled struts for 06 Max, does 60 - 70 bucks each sound about right? Any recommendations?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 PM

mine make like a lil chirp sound everytime i hit a bump or rail road tracks. it drives me crazy
Old 12-02-2008, 07:54 AM

my back struts do a rubber against rubber noise when I drive over a big speed bump, just like a chirp. I dont think thats a strut issue, it feels like just the mounts rubbing or something.

Your guess ?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:21 PM

Ill bump this thread again since I inspected both the front struts and back shocks. Both front are busted and the back shocks, both, are bad...i see leaking too so i know it needs replacing.

So I get an estimate from Midas. 1200 bones to do all fours (including parts). I mean call me stupid, but that is way over priced. I looked at the detail and it was 680 for parts and 550 something for labor. I noticed the OEM struts marked as 281 a piece for fronts..What are these guys smoking on?

So obviously I looked at the KYB GR2 struts and shocks (about 60 for fronts and 50 for back shocks), only thing is i cannot find these babies locally. Do I have to get these online?? if so, what site do you guys recommend? I Shopped around for labor, and the cheapest I found was 55 bucks for strut and shock...so I guess thats about 250 which is reasonable I think...true?

Also, I am not a mechanic by any means but I looked at some DIY videos on how to replace struts, it doesnt seem that hard and my father in law has tools.

Is this DIY-able? Is there a sticky on strut replacement? Or maybe someone could direct me to a site that properly shows how to do it. I don't mind 300 bbucks of labor, but I figured if I could save 300 bucks, I can put that towards Eibach lowering springs and get it over it!...
Old 12-07-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by hmr1979
Ill bump this thread again since I inspected both the front struts and back shocks. Both front are busted and the back shocks, both, are bad...i see leaking too so i know it needs replacing.

So I get an estimate from Midas. 1200 bones to do all fours (including parts). I mean call me stupid, but that is way over priced. I looked at the detail and it was 680 for parts and 550 something for labor. I noticed the OEM struts marked as 281 a piece for fronts..What are these guys smoking on?

So obviously I looked at the KYB GR2 struts and shocks (about 60 for fronts and 50 for back shocks), only thing is i cannot find these babies locally. Do I have to get these online?? if so, what site do you guys recommend? I Shopped around for labor, and the cheapest I found was 55 bucks for strut and shock...so I guess thats about 250 which is reasonable I think...true?

Also, I am not a mechanic by any means but I looked at some DIY videos on how to replace struts, it doesnt seem that hard and my father in law has tools.

Is this DIY-able? Is there a sticky on strut replacement? Or maybe someone could direct me to a site that properly shows how to do it. I don't mind 300 bbucks of labor, but I figured if I could save 300 bucks, I can put that towards Eibach lowering springs and get it over it!...
Here you go for both front and rear (KYB GR2) somewhat better than OEM and at a great price!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-G...61210004r24641

Make sure you get a computer alignment after install.

$272 shipped, that means you have $928 left over for install and alignment and do not take it to those fools who gave you that outrageous quote, $350 max for a full install plus alignment!!! The rears are easy and you may be able to do them yourself (3 bolts) and all you have to do is put the rear of your car on 2 jack stands and remove the rear wheels and from inside the wheel well 2 bolts up top, one on the bottom, just use a jack to compress the rear springs to get the bottom bolt off/on...

Last edited by chernmax; 12-07-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Here you go for both front and rear (KYB GR2) somewhat better than OEM and at a great price!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-G...61210004r24641

Make sure you get a computer alignment after install.

$272 shipped, that means you have $928 left over for install and alignment and do not take it to those fools who gave you that outrageous quote, $350 max for a full install plus alignment!!! The rears are easy and you may be able to do them yourself (3 bolts) and all you have to do is put the rear of your car on 2 jack stands and remove the rear wheels and from inside the wheel well 2 bolts up top, one on the bottom, just use a jack to compress the rear springs to get the bottom bolt off/on...
Thanks for the link Chern! I Will order these first thing tomorrow. I will just have pep boys install and align, their quote for 300 for all 4 installs and alignment I think is reasonable. I don't want to deal with it. Better safe than sorry.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the link Chern! I Will order these first thing tomorrow. I will just have pep boys install and align, their quote for 300 for all 4 installs and alignment I think is reasonable. I don't want to deal with it. Better safe than sorry.

Glad to help, sounds like a 50% discount from what you were originally told!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Glad to help, sounds like a 50% discount from what you were originally told!!!
Yeah some people just want to jip people. I mean 100-150 dollars off, ok maybe, but some people won't be embarassed to tackle 300-500 extra it seems.

*I actually found the KYB struts and Shocks here locally at "car quest" I didn;t realize they are one of the largest dealers that KYB distributs to. Anyways, it costs a bit more there but in the end, since I wont have to pay for shipping and I am getting it right away 2 miles away, it's same...or better. About to go to the shop. I'll keep yall posted. Hopefully my 06 max with 58K will feel and sound and ride like it should be after these babies are on!
Old 12-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had a knocking sound coming from my front shocks...most of the time it was the left shock...basically the shock is still good, it's just that the shock is noisy when you go over a bump. I remember about a 1,5 years ago when the noise was persistent even after they replaced both shocks so they replaced the front bearing mounts (under the hood) and they also replaced the silicon/rubber spacer...of which there is a newly designed part without the metal plate (less noise). When the right shock was noisy again this year I replaced both with KYB GR2's. Unfortunately I had a defective shock (defective valve seal) which was replace free of charge...though my friend who is a mechanic charged me two hours or $60 to replace....Now I still get a noise from time to time...price of being lowered with Eibachs however the ride and handling is amazing and I can drown the sound out with my new speakers anyway LOL! This year they also replaced a part in my steering mechanism....all warranty work. I also just replace the front brake booster valve, that cost $140 and was not covered by my extended warranty. BTW the extended warranty does not cover the shocks...Don't forget to do the alignment after you change the shocks eh!
I love the lowered look too!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by eLMo
On my 04 when I had it 2 weeks after we bought it, it started making a knocking sound. You will know something is broken because it would knock at every bump. The 05 so far has no problems except for the smell. Now that it's cold it doesn't smell though.
I agree with Elmo youwill here slight knockin or rattle in the front..
Old 12-08-2008, 07:24 PM

ok I just got back from Pep Boys, had both struts in the front and both shocks in the back replaced, all KYB. The ride is soooo much better, and the car is more poise when pushed to the limit (of course all struts and shocks were all blown so this might not mean much). I do however still have a knocking noise in the back right occasionally. What do you guys think that could be? the sound seems to come directly in the corner of the car so I am assuming it has to do with the shocks,,,but I don't know.

I notice that our trunk lid is really light and kind of clunky...when I close the trunk on our other car, it seems way more solid then the Max...could this noise be coming from the trunk? or at least the mechanism that opens and closes it?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 PM

I have a squish type sound from my drivers side front wheel on my 05 w/29,000, when i go over bumps at slower speeds... Strut? I'll find out when i get it in to nissan I guess..
Old 12-09-2008, 07:39 PM

Getting my strut mounts and bearings replaced tomorrow at Big O Tire for $450.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:06 PM

I just replaced my two front struts with KYB, and it is night and day difference in feel of the car. Price: $379 total

My right front would make an awful groaning sound when going over a pothole or dip in the road. Also, when I pushed down on the front of the car it would make a clicking sound and wouldn't come up right away like it was being held back...

I also wanted to point this out...does anyone notice better traction through replacing bad struts? It feels like my car has much more grip upon acceleration. I'm guessing it's because it doesn't bounce as much causing the tires to be firmly planted on the ground and not skipping up...

Last edited by MaxEx; 12-10-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:08 PM

ok I just got back from Pep Boys, had both struts in the front and both shocks in the back replaced, all KYB. The ride is soooo much better, and the car is more poise when pushed to the limit (of course all struts and shocks were all blown so this might not mean much). I do however still have a knocking noise in the back right occasionally. What do you guys think that could be? the sound seems to come directly in the corner of the car so I am assuming it has to do with the shocks,,,but I don't know.

I notice that our trunk lid is really light and kind of clunky...when I close the trunk on our other car, it seems way more solid then the Max...could this noise be coming from the trunk? or at least the mechanism that opens and closes it?
With the noise coming from the back right you may want to check the jack to make sure it's in place and not flopping around back there...or just take it out and see if the noise stops.