6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Wheel Balancing Weights Flew Off

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 10:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wheel Balancing Weights Flew Off

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem... (sorry I'm not able to search the old posts).

I've got an '04 Maxima SE with stock wheels and tires. Saturday evening as I was driving about 35MPH on a 2-lane road near my house, one of the wheel balancing weights on the left-rear wheel dislodged itslef, flew off and struck the rear door. I was able to determine that this was the projectile because there is a sticky residue where two of the small square weights used to be (on the wheel) - and they were there earlier in the day when I washed the car. I would post pics, but I don't seem to have privileges do that either.

I bought the car in May and it had a few rounds of shimmy fix attempts, before a Nissan Engineer from California was brought in to fix the problem. During the course of repair attempts, there were numerous balancings and these weights may have been added then. I made an appointment with the dealership for next week. The door looks awful but I'm not going to have them touch it, I know it would end up worse than it is now. At this point, I want them to make sure my other weights don't go flying off!! Any thoughts?

-Scott
Houston, TX
Old 12-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The weights that the use for balancing have a self adhesive on them. Sometimes the person who attaches the wieghts doesn't clean off and prep the area of the rim where the weights are going to be attached. Over time the stress on the weights can cause it to loosen. This is not an uncommon thing. It's just unfortunate that your door was damaged because of this. You could try to fight it with the dealer. See what happens. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2004, 08:44 AM

My last car has this happen quite a few times. Never once with the OEM setup, but when I bought some new tires at 60k miles the weights they put on there flew off several times. Both fronts lost the weights 2-3 ties each and the rears once. Good thing the tire shop was only a mile from my house and they took care of me when I came in so it wasn't that big of a hassle. Hope your door gets fixed.