6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

InTaKeS Pt. II

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 06:39 PM
SuPeRmOd

InTaKeS Pt. II

So, since I know intakes are so important, I won't completely kill it. Feel free to link helpful points from part I. Please read through it to answer most questions. We don't need 2 threads repeating 20 pages.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=332031

From what I got from it:
Appears intakes may increase power, but we may be hindered by our ECU. The ECU apparently sees the increased air and adjusts everything; therefore you're back to stock performance.

We are awaiting dynos for immediate gains, and hopefully long term results.

Please see Mod Sticky for pics and available ones for the 6th Gen Maxima.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

More like Intakes TAKE 2.

Here's a little something I posted in the 5.5g forum ...

http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=432690

Cliffs

Every MAFci System includes a high flow aFe reusable filter and all the associated plumbing (Usually 3.5" OD pipe), a bigger mass air sensor housing, associated hardware, and a MAF Customizer. The MAF Customizer is what allows the use of bigger mass air housing and is also used to tune the car for gains not possible with other intakes.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nismo

sounds like what i had when i owned my 03 Dodge Hemi. No matter what you did, the ECU would correct it back to normal perameters. The only thing that would help that would be to disconnect your battery everyonce in a while. I did this twice a month, but got better results if i did it once a week. the computer relearns and goes back to original settings. I would get better gas milage as well when i did this. Strange at it might seem, but it worked. Also every single mod i did, i unplugged my battery (neg terminal only) for about 10-30 minutes (turn key to on position to get a fully discharged system..) The vehicle seemed to respond better, then after a whuile when the computer relearned the new set-up it would do everything to bring it back to normal operating standards. Basically optimizing performance, but i believe hindering it a little. Unless you get a programmer so the computer doesnt reset it, itll be like that unless you reset it yourself.

This disscussion was a popular one over at the Dodgetalk.com forums for quite sometime, and the resetting of the computer turned out so great numbers, even at the track. Just a side thought for you..... Later.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:25 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MAXIMA-GHOST
resetting of the computer turned out so great numbers, even at the track.
A piggyback a/f convertor can do that w/o having to d/c the ECU every week or whenver.

It lets you optmize your settings, your meaning with respect to your A/F, whether tuned on a dyno or on the street.

SAFC-II, greddyEMU, SMT6/7, or similar items.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:28 PM
SuPeRmOd

so why didn't you guys get someone to mod your ECU? I would think there are more good things from our ECU changing that outway an intake's benefits.

To confirm this, we really need someone to dyno stock, reset w. intake, then a month later with intake. we should either conclude:

"we need a chip (or other piggyback) to see gains" or "intake works"
as of now, intakes look nice and sound great.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
To confirm this, we really need someone to dyno stock, reset w. intake, then a month later with intake.
Instead of waiting a month or however long, why not eliminate the doubt, get a SAFC or something similar, and adjust accordingly?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:18 PM
SuPeRmOd

please knowing one, educate me (as well as others) on this magical SAFC. One is available/compatible for us? I recall someone with something similiar. So if intakes add hp, this would make it stick?
thanks Queenie
Old 10-04-2005, 10:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

Most I know that use the SAFC-II use it on a 4,5, and 5.5g. So maybe this entire post is invalid in the 6th gen forum ...

please knowing one,
Everything I know came from this site. .. So, w/e I know, you could know too, I'm sure you have search function.

educate me (as well as others) on this magical SAFC.
Never said it was magical, just more 'common' .. 'tried and true' etc.

One is available/compatible for us? I recall someone with something similiar AFAIK
There's a 6g member that has one installed but there's one item you 6th gens have to look into ... CAN/BUS w/re: to the ECU I don't know exactly, because as I stated before... I know as much as anyone can with a search function, and didn't feel like looking it up just yet, but it's most likely in one of the 6th gen members posts about the SAFC.

So if intakes add hp, this would make it stick?
thanks Queenie
I just searched .. came up with a few threads, and I have one(SAFC).

You tune for WOT .. so w/e you tune for it 'sticks'. you save it.
I've added HP w/o a/f tuning messing w/my intake ... Check the dyno forum.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need Help Deceiding

I'm About To Buy A Cai For 05 Max, But Another Thread Had Me Concerened. Is It True That The Increase Is Not Permanent Because The Ecu Will Reset The Car Back To Its Original Settings?
Old 10-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Z

You see. I knew I wasn't imagining it in my 5th gen. 3 weeks after my Berk was installed, I noticed that my car had regained all of its low-end power back to stock. I made a thread about it, asking if the ECU had all of a sudden "recognized" this new air flow and E55AMG2 locked it for no reason.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:31 AM
dot dot dot ...

Maybe I'm a and missed something about the 04+ ECU .. and it has a re-learn feature :

Old 10-05-2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by logik05se
I'm About To Buy A Cai For 05 Max, But Another Thread Had Me Concerened. Is It True That The Increase Is Not Permanent Because The Ecu Will Reset The Car Back To Its Original Settings?

If your buying an intake for a power increase you are buying the wrong part. There is not enough evidence to suggest the increase sticks.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:58 PM

But if you can hold out until someone actually do an ECU upgrade (and your too lazy to properly setup your AFC or scared of Blowing it up.....) then the hp improvement will be very nice. In the mean time, you can't beat the sound of a nice intake. Very aggresive. Will scare grandma in the next lane for sure.

(btw, i'm sellin my brand new injen. check the 4sale section)
Old 10-05-2005, 02:46 PM

Let me get this straight... If I buy a CAI for the 05 max (smoke because it DOES make a difference in hp), I will get better airflow which yeilds to better combustion = more hp gains. Now my ECU will learn about this and pull back (on the fuel, or restrict airflow?) to original. Would this not in the least allow for a more efficient ride? Can somebody let me know that if I invest on a CAI it wouldn't be just for the looks and sound. Piggybacking ECU's might void the warranty (if it doesn't let me know), and then we are paying for an ECU, CAI, just for the HP gains.... Doesn't seem to add up, am I missing something?

Taylor
Old 10-05-2005, 02:56 PM

There's a 6g member that has one installed but there's one item you 6th gens have to look into ... CAN/BUS w/re: to the ECU I don't know exactly, because as I stated before... I know as much as anyone can with a search function, and didn't feel like looking it up just yet, but it's most likely in one of the 6th gen members posts about the SAFC.

that was me. i got it installed about a month ago. i showed upwards of about 10-12 whp improvement and it isn't tuned to full potential yet.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:36 PM

any updates?
Old 12-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Redlinemax Owner

please knowing one, educate me (as well as others) on this magical SAFC. One is available/compatible for us? I recall someone with something similiar. So if intakes add hp, this would make it stick?
thanks Queenie

Nismo, I may be late on this thread however the SAFC is a puiggy back air/fuel computer mostly used in Tuning FI cars. You can add or subtract from the cars fuel map to compensate for the extra air flow. However the 5.5 gens found out a while ago that they can gain about 25 hp by tuning their cars with the SAFC. The benefit of using this of course is the fact that the factory ecu can retain its stock maps but the afc will piggy back and correct as needed
Old 12-27-2005, 03:47 PM

Cold air intakes for 6th gen?

So, I've been thinking of getting a CAI, but recall reading that some have had problems with certain models breaking. Can anyone recommend a good one, or atleast list the companies that make them?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2005, 03:51 PM

I have the Stillen Intake. Im pretty sure there a lot of threads regarding CAI, that you might want to look at.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:54 PM

Some breakage was seen with bushings that attach to the frame. They wear out and break if you torque too tightly. What can end up happening is that the intake 'might' tap the frame.

Some users have just beefed up the brakets.

It's nothing serious mechanicaly. It just can be annoying.

Here is a start of companies, I'm sure users will chime in on other kinds.

Injen
Stillen
Old 12-27-2005, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by jasonjm
Some breakage was seen with bushings that attach to the frame. They wear out and break if you torque too tightly. What can end up happening is that the intake 'might' tap the frame.

Some users have just beefed up the brakets.

It's nothing serious mechanicaly. It just can be annoying.

Here is a start of companies, I'm sure users will chime in on other kinds.

Injen
Stillen
Injen
Stillen
Berk Technology
Old 12-27-2005, 04:16 PM

Ok, thanks guys. I believe I recall NISMO finally making one for the 6th gen too? Is one better than the others? Also, what kind of HP gains can be expected? I've read (from somewhere) that maybe 5 WHP may be gained? Also, in the MPG thread, some claim that they get 1-2 more MPG than stock. Anyone have any more good stats on the last one?

Sorry for all the questions...

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Moderator GT-R

there are pictures and links in the mod sticky
Old 12-27-2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by bluemaxx
there are pictures and links in the mod sticky
D'oh, ok thanks.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:38 PM

ok...CAI...COLD AIR INTAKE right ?? one thing i never understood is how come some (like stillen) seem to have the air filter right in the engine bay...where the air is the hottest...i think the only one that seems to really have a cold air intake s the nismo intake, since the air filter goes all the way down by the cornering light... i would assume and believe, the air in the engine bay is at a higher temperature than it would be at the bottom of the car y the cornering light.

please correct me if i am wrong... enlighten me please.

also, i do understand that even if the air is hotter by the engine bay, it is still getting much more air than with the regular air box/filter...so i guess thats where the benefits are...

Luigi

oh yeah, i have the nismo intake...
Old 12-27-2005, 06:31 PM

Luigi,
Does Nissan install the Nismo intakes? I know they do not install aftermarket parts, but since it is a nissan part they should install it right? Also, could this be purchased at the dealer? What kind of sound do you get with it? I am looking for a deep and low rumbling sound ( i got this sound when I put an intake on my 95 maxima, I loved it) thanks
Old 12-27-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by luigi'smax
ok...CAI...COLD AIR INTAKE right ?? one thing i never understood is how come some (like stillen) seem to have the air filter right in the engine bay...where the air is the hottest...i think the only one that seems to really have a cold air intake s the nismo intake, since the air filter goes all the way down by the cornering light... i would assume and believe, the air in the engine bay is at a higher temperature than it would be at the bottom of the car y the cornering light.

also, i do understand that even if the air is hotter by the engine bay, it is still getting much more air than with the regular air box/filter...so i guess thats where the benefits are...

Luigi

The Nismo intake is made by AEM, there is also the Injen CAI and various generics. The others are considered a WAI(Warm air Intake). Many prefer the wai because it doesnt stand a chance of causing the motor to hydrolock.
The Nismo intake is made by AEM, there is also the Injen CAI and various generics. The others are considered a WAI(Warm air Intake). Many prefer the wai because it doesnt stand a chance of causing the motor to hydrolock.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by luigi'smax

Luigi

Old 12-27-2005, 06:55 PM
Stang-seeking Max Missile

Hey Kane, my fellow newbie & CT resident. Today, I went to George Harte Nissan(where I bought the car 3 mo. ago) and ordered a Nismo CAI. I had to pre-pay $290 and it will arrive and be installed on Friday. It'll come w/ a 12 month/12K warranty. The techs will clean it at each oil change. HP gain is said to be 14.9. From what I hear, it sounds pretty nice but not as loud as Injen's. I just felt better going w/ a product that's made by Nismo but all are improvements. AEM has a sick lookin polished 1 pc. I'll let you know how it is on Friday- can't wait. New grille is also on the way...finally.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:59 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

there is a sticky with most of them installed with pics, I know i did it...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=413817
Old 12-27-2005, 07:38 PM

Smokin' Max,

Yea I definately agree with you. I like to have the dealer install it and warranty it as well, I think I will get that eventually when it gets a little warmer here in good ole CT! Please do let me know how it sounds and if you do feel anymore horsepower. Also, is that price of $290 including installation?

One thing I wanted to ask everyone was that I heard that no matter what mods you do to your car such as add an intake, it doesnt matter because the ECU will just regulate the difference and regulate it back to factory settings so you wont even feel any difference or anything...anyone know anything about this or if this is true or not?
Old 12-27-2005, 07:53 PM

AEM MAKES ONE ALSo
Old 12-28-2005, 06:13 AM

HYDROLOCKING WHAT ??

kane:... i installed the intake myself... the only difference i noticed was fuel economy but as far as sound and other stuff...umm i am not sure...

also ...is it true about the ECU part ?? will it set everything to go back to factory settings ?? if so...what then ??

Luigi
Old 12-28-2005, 06:30 AM

hydrolocking...when your engine sucks in water. water, unlike air, cannot be compressed. your engine can be in a whole world of hurt if this happens.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:58 PM

I just installed my Injen CAI and Y pipe, too late tonight for a test drive, will let you know tomorrow...
Old 01-01-2006, 06:42 PM

Injen?MR???

Have you guys seen this?
http://www.customenterprise.com/view.../vts/design017
How does it compare to the other Injen intakes??
Old 01-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
hydrolocking...when your engine sucks in water. water, unlike air, cannot be compressed. your engine can be in a whole world of hurt if this happens.
I have an Injen CAI and hydrolocking is EXTREMELY rare (actually I have not read any threads of a 6th gen owner having this happen). Just don't drive your car through wheel deep water and you'll be just fine. And yes, I have driven through many a down pours and or storms. My Injen CAI has been on my ride for 2 years and I love it...
Old 01-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by VQMAX05
Have you guys seen this?
http://www.customenterprise.com/view.../vts/design017
How does it compare to the other Injen intakes??

mmmm, yeah what the hell?? but sounds interesting.. I have never heard about this technology, and would like to know more.... thanks for ther info..
Old 01-02-2006, 04:19 AM

i really dont see how tuning is possible by the pics that are posted on that site, It does look like however it comes with its own maf housing. but exactly how does that play a role in tuning?
Old 01-02-2006, 05:24 AM

I know on the 03/04 cobra's SCT puts it's own electronic package on it to support different HP numbers so maybe this company does that also...

Quick Reply: InTaKeS Pt. II