6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

~~Grinding Noise When Accelerating....~~

Old 06-15-2005, 04:41 PM

~~Grinding Noise When Accelerating....~~

....on the way home from work today I had gave the car a little bit of gas to pass the car in the lane next to me and as I did so I noticed like a grinding noise (metal grinding together) so I wasn't sure if it was me or if it was the other car so I stepped a little bit more on it and noticed it again. I did it like 2 more times until the noise went away. Why the hell is that noise coming from this new car? I've heard that exact noise from old used cars but on a new car???

Anyone?

Old 06-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Banned

Does it sound like something really heavy and major? Like an internally lubricated part, or does it sound like a flimsy piece of aluminum wacking something? I get a small tinny metal sound when i punch the gas and listen for it sometimes. It probobly has happened for awhile but i never turn off the radio. It is very faint and sounds minor.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:11 PM

.....for those who have heard the AC wall units going on and off it sounds a bit like that, almost like a an aluminum can grinding each other.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Banned

OK, yeah...i hear ya...and ive heard it...I just chalked it up to haveing 36,000 miles racked up? something got loose?
Old 06-15-2005, 05:34 PM

....I just now reached 21k on the car so it couldn't be cause of that. I don't know what it can be or why this noise. I'm just flat out clueless and looking for answers.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I get a buzzing humming metal sound upon harder than normal acceleration -faint but noticable when the windows are down and the radio is off. Heat shield or some flimsy metal I think. Too bad you can't get it in the air and floor it. Doesn't bother me as much as the 5-speed auto tranny with the fuzzy logic downshifts.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:54 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by 2k4MaximaSE
.....for those who have heard the AC wall units going on and off it sounds a bit like that, almost like a an aluminum can grinding each other.
Try some wfo beneth an underpass and report back. I think I have this too. It doesn't sound good.

I'm at 33,500 about to go in for judder and other TSBs before the 3/36 is up. If I can't get to the bottom of it soon I may have to get rid of the car.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:58 PM

...some of you are reporting that yours is faint but mine was a bit loud the first time because I had the music sort of loud when all of a sudden I noticed that sound so I turned the music down and heard it perfectly clear. Come to think of it the sound sounds very similar to a shopping cart on cement.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by JeffMax4
I get a buzzing humming metal sound upon harder than normal acceleration -faint but noticable when the windows are down and the radio is off. Heat shield or some flimsy metal I think. Too bad you can't get it in the air and floor it. Doesn't bother me as much as the 5-speed auto tranny with the fuzzy logic downshifts.

Jeff I have the same thing! After you accelerate it goes away right? Have you ever noticed you can hear it more when the car is cold and the tank is low on gas? We should put together an email to Nissan and ask for a service inquiry!
Old 06-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i had the same provlem the guy tightened my intake and removed a piece of the heat shield near the engine the problem is fixed. Now i am bothered with a clanking sound when going over bumps it seema to come from the rear mabye its the exhaust??????
Old 06-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

bigcozz, I just installed my injen intake and I hear a little rattle around 1000-2000 rpms, but then goes away. it doesnt happen all the time, but often. I will check out what you said bigcozz.

sorry for jacking the thread though
Old 06-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by 2k4MaximaSE
...some of you are reporting that yours is faint but mine was a bit loud the first time because I had the music sort of loud when all of a sudden I noticed that sound so I turned the music down and heard it perfectly clear. Come to think of it the sound sounds very similar to a shopping cart on cement.
The first time I noticed it the a/c was on and radio too. I thought at first it was the worst detonation I'd ever heard. The car seems to run fine but I'm not liking this noise.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:15 PM

.....mine happened while I had the music up and the windows down. As I mentioned I hit the gas soon after to see if it was my car and it did it again but more faint, than I did it one more time and it was pretty low by then. I just drove the car and no noises what so ever. I drove it in a back street stepping on it to see if that noise came back up. Someone mentioned a rattling noise on their aftermarket exhaust. The noise I heard sounded just like that. I remember being in my boys G35 who has an aftermarket exhaust and his sounded just the same as mine did this afternoon. I think I just pin pointed the problem but can it be something other than the stock exhaust?

Old 06-15-2005, 08:33 PM

This issue sounds like it might be the broken catalyst support under the card TSB. You mention the sound is like a shopping cart on cement. That's one noisy car then if this is the case. Is the noise a rattle noise, buzz, grinding as you describe it? Is it a metal on metal noise? I have a rattle/buzz from under the car when it's still cold and when the AC is running and I accelerate hard. There is a buzz at 1800 rpm and again at 2800 rpm. Also in second gear at 1800 rpm there is a knocking/buzz noise from under the car. Does this sound like your problem? I have been into the dealer several times for this issue among others. each time i get a different answer to what it is, but it's never the TSB. Check out the stickies as always for more help
Old 06-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Banned

Im going to pack a midget under the hood and take a spin around town and see what he finds, ill report back.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:25 PM

....pretty much sounds like metal-on-metal. Best example of the noise that I mentioned was similar to the noise when one of those wall unit A/C systems goes on, that same rattling noise.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:31 AM

I've not had this issue at all.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:38 AM

.....now is beginning to be more frequent but the noise is not as loud.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:45 PM

I get the same sound. I have about 12,200 miles on my car. The sound started coming after I installed my intake. so I thought it was that! then tonite I removed the intake and put back the stock air filter and its still there! when giving it gas, it sounds like that shopping cart on cement. I hate noises, so I'm going to call Nissan and schedule a service to check this out.

2k4maxima, have you brought it in for service?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:25 PM

I hear a grinding noise every once in a while from the front, usually when braking, I always have the radio on so I haven't heard it while accelerating, but I'll have to try with the radio off. The noise I hear sounds like the front bearings are making noise. I only have less than 3k miles so this is really disturbing. Especially after reading soo much about shimmy's and vibrations. I'm taking the car to the dealer next week to have then check it out.

Anyone else find issues with the bearings?

They used micro machining on the engine, but they forgot to use it on the rest of the drivetrain.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:27 PM

I'm going to check this out before I call them tomorrow

2004-2005 NISSAN MAXIMA AND QUEST; EXHAUST RATTLE / BUZZING NOISE PRESENT DURING ACCELERATION
Old 06-28-2005, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Does it sound like something really heavy and major? Like an internally lubricated part, or does it sound like a flimsy piece of aluminum wacking something? I get a small tinny metal sound when i punch the gas and listen for it sometimes. It probobly has happened for awhile but i never turn off the radio. It is very faint and sounds minor.
I had that recently. there is a TSB out for that. it's a bracket that hold the exhuast. it's broken. take it in to the dealer and they should fix it for free. mention the TSB or they'll ask a bunch of pointless questions.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:58 AM

ok guys I think I'm happy now... happy cause I know where the problem is!

looking at the tsb

now looking under my car...i was able to see the cracks
Old 06-29-2005, 10:11 AM

I have the same issue at 17.5K on a '04. I had the TSB already done and still have the same problem. I almost swear it is my transmission. About to take back in for Nissan to look at. Also having problems again with front struts, have had replaced 2 times already. DAMM and I love this car.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:25 PM

I feel grinding through the gas pedel between 0-40 MPH. Any suggestions?
Old 07-07-2005, 06:02 PM

Well, today i broke out the lift and took a look under my car, sure enough the bracket is cracked. countless times to the dealer with a NPF even mentioning the TSB. Let this be a lesson to all. Find your TSB, print it out, shove it in the service managers face and say fix this according to the TSB. Sometimes I really wonder.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:17 PM

NJMAX, read post 23

msoemax, yeah the service dept is unbelievable. Thats why I love information sites like this one, where we can get info from and then shove it to them.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:31 PM

Thanks Pal, I'll check it out
Old 07-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

That's Why I Love This Site, Teamwork In Action...
Old 07-08-2005, 01:02 PM

UPDATE:

I went to Nissan today and had this issue looked at. It was something totally different than what everyone has been suggesting. The grinding noise I was hearing wasn't because of the exhaust, as a matter of fact the mechanic told me my exhaust was as good as it can be. The reason that was causing the grinding noise it's due to my brakes. The mechanic told me I virtually was close to having no brakes whatsoever so whenever the metal expanded after me driving the car for a little bit the metal of the car pedal would gring up against another metal. Pretty much had to flush the brakes, and place new brake pads. They told me had I waited a little bit more and I pretty much would've needed to change the brake disc itself. So for all those who have driven your car hard at one time or another and found yourself braking hard and you're having this issue I suggest you go A.S.A.P. to your dealership because most likely you're having the same issue I had. Expensive thing to take care of too. Had to pay about $480 for this but I rather pay that minor fee than paying for an extensive repair or even yet with my life.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:27 PM

I started to have this shopping-cart noise (~2600-2900RPM on acceleration) around 33.4KMiles (3 weeks ago), on and off. Now it's getting very regular and I can duplicate it almost anytime.
Does anyone here do it yourself ? I don't think it would cost much for that crappy bracket. They mentioned "improved" screws version. Does that mean the bracket will be the same ? I'm still in-warranty. But I hate to use the dealer if it's not that expensive and simple to do. My regular dealer normally would rip the car apart before realizing they don't have any spare parts in stock. They only give a courtesy shuttle. Luckily they get the parts quickly overnight. But for something this simple, I just rather do it myself.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Playadave
I have the same issue at 17.5K on a '04. I had the TSB already done and still have the same problem. I almost swear it is my transmission. About to take back in for Nissan to look at. Also having problems again with front struts, have had replaced 2 times already. DAMM and I love this car.
I had the car in for the TSB today. I checked and saw the bracket cracked in two places. They replaced the bracket. But, as in your case, the noise is still there. Now it starts quickly when I reach 2100RPM and stops then starts again ~2600-2900RPM. It's a grinding metal noise. Like you, I am thinking it comes from the transmission too. So what did you find out ? I'm planning a 1000miles round trip this weekend. Will bring it back next week. At least they look into the subframe (OK) and did the seat harness recall.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:47 AM

It's just my luck ! I plan to bring the car back to the dealer after the long weekend, to look again at the noise. During the 1000-mile trip, I ran over a huge part of a blown truck tire. It was about 1/3 left, intact. I was behind a van so I only saw it after the van ran over it first. It almost ripped away the plastic cover under the front end. But the piece still hang on and flapped like crazy the whole way. At 3am, I couldn't see a thing to deal with it. It took about 11 plastic clip-ons to put it back.
Now I need to look under my car. Hopefully there is nothing to make the dealer to claim it's my fault and won't fix that pre-existing noise.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:12 PM

It's fixed

I brought my car in today. They assigned a senior Tech to my case. He's the nicest Tech I know. We drove around until he noticed the metal-grinding noise. He asked me to wait since he didn't think it would take long. Half an hour later and after multiple attempts/test drives, the noise is gone. The problem was cause by a heat shield. The man replaced two clamps with better ones.
The service guy told me they've worked on so many Maxima with rattle exhaust issues. So have your brackets checked out before your warranty runs out.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My issue is totally different than all of the above. I hear a metal to metal sound on acceleration. It seems like it happens when the gears are changing. I have an 04 SE and the dealer told me it was my front strut. Have you all ever heard of this?
Old 06-27-2006, 06:45 PM

That's exactly what my problem was. It happened when the gears changed. Very loud at 1st-to-2nd and 2nd-to-3rd. Hard to hear at other gear changes (took me awhile to know that). It didnot happen when I rev in neutral. I could swear it came from the trans.
If your car still under warranty, then bring it in. But if not then save yourselve some $$$ by going to the parts store to get a couple of clamps (adjusted with a screw) then tighten the heat shield (the part right under the famous bracket, it has two metal pieces sandwidching the pipe. Just tighten these two pieces together.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you were right!!!!! I went back to the dealer for the third time and they removed two of my heat shields. First day they took off one heat shield and replaced my front right strut (noise still there) second day they tighened a bracket (noise still there) today they finally took off another heat shield and a miracle occured......THE DAMN noise is gone. Even though I think I am going to get an 07 Max!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:02 PM

what is heat shield ???? sorry for my english
Old 06-29-2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by PaL379
I get the same sound. I have about 12,200 miles on my car. The sound started coming after I installed my intake. so I thought it was that! then tonite I removed the intake and put back the stock air filter and its still there! when giving it gas, it sounds like that shopping cart on cement. I hate noises, so I'm going to call Nissan and schedule a service to check this out.

2k4maxima, have you brought it in for service?
Actually I realized that it was my intake too...

basically it looke dlike the bolt on part did not have any rubber spacer in when they installed it and no bottom nut... hance the click clank when you change gears...
Old 07-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaxFan
I started to have this shopping-cart noise (~2600-2900RPM on acceleration) around 33.4KMiles (3 weeks ago), on and off. Now it's getting very regular and I can duplicate it almost anytime.
Does anyone here do it yourself ? I don't think it would cost much for that crappy bracket. They mentioned "improved" screws version. Does that mean the bracket will be the same ? I'm still in-warranty. But I hate to use the dealer if it's not that expensive and simple to do. My regular dealer normally would rip the car apart before realizing they don't have any spare parts in stock. They only give a courtesy shuttle. Luckily they get the parts quickly overnight. But for something this simple, I just rather do it myself.
I did it myself. Actually the service bulletin says to replace both brackets and the 4 bolts. The brackets are the same as the originals but the bolts are slightly different and the cost of the whole package is $35. You're better off having the dealer repair it under warranty for free.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ~~Grinding Noise When Accelerating....~~