6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Who had Chrome Roof Strips replaced

Old 05-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I first picked up my 2004 Max SE I noted to the dealership that the chrome strips on both sides were discoloured and they were immediately replaced on warranty.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:15 PM

just had the strip replaced and allgood
Old 06-03-2007, 06:26 AM

i had mine changed one time by my good friend Nax over at nissan of fort lauderdale. only needed it done once, cuz he knows what hes doing. before warranty is up ill be sure to do it again
Old 06-14-2007, 11:33 PM

My driver's side piece is actually peeling too, it doesnt look nice :-(
Old 06-16-2007, 11:48 AM

I have the same issue with mine driver side only . I had the dealer reject replacing my leather seat where you get in on the seam has about a 1/4 inch wear mark they said they can't do anything because it past 12/12,000 warranty . I really don't think they'll replace mine. I might see how much to get them re-chrome on my own at least they will last better than oem. My dealer is Jim M'lady In Crystal lake IL . Maybe i should take it to another dealer.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
3/36 warranty. better off not replacing. they just fade again. and usually takes more than once to get done right. on my 3rd set, just accept they are are mismatched. sure others notice other things anyway.
3rd set? They must love you at the dealership! I noticed mine are darker on the roof then the ones along the rear window. Its really not a big deal, but I happen to have the Mothers polish for the grille, maybe i'll try it. I dont see how it works because there seems to be a plastiC coating on the strips....but the pics dont lie.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by mightymax5
I have the same issue with mine driver side only . I had the dealer reject replacing my leather seat where you get in on the seam has about a 1/4 inch wear mark they said they can't do anything because it past 12/12,000 warranty . I really don't think they'll replace mine. I might see how much to get them re-chrome on my own at least they will last better than oem. My dealer is Jim M'lady In Crystal lake IL . Maybe i should take it to another dealer.
I took mine in at 30k to have the drivers side replaced, bumper to bumper warranty covers defects for up to 3years or 36k, anything on the car is covered for the 1st 12k, I don't know about the seat, did the leather wear away or is it just age lines, try some Mequiars cleaner/conditioner
Old 06-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

im not under warranty anymore and was wondering if anyone knew any cleaning products that works to clean the roof strips..ive tried almost everything..thanxxxx
Old 06-19-2007, 12:37 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by campione
im not under warranty anymore and was wondering if anyone knew any cleaning products that works to clean the roof strips..ive tried almost everything..thanxxxx
Dude, read post #33
Old 06-19-2007, 02:01 PM

I had to have mine replaced on both my 04 and 07. The 07 after a windshield replacement after 200 miles.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

lol thanx ,like the pictures werent big enough my bad i must have scrolled past it.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:17 AM

Both sides are peeling on my Max.

Anybody know how to remove them?

I found a place online that has the strips for 65 bucks + shipping. I would like to remove the old ones and install new ones. I am not paying the dealer 50 bucks a side if I can do it myself!

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=73852-7Y000
Old 06-24-2007, 01:34 AM

I have an 04 and since I bought it new, I always thought there was some sort of plastic covering that they forgot to remove, and I didn't notice it until the sun had just baked it on. I believed this for years, but now I wonder if they had just faded out. I know I can scratch through it to the shiny part, but have had a hard time figuring out how to do that on the whole piece without scratching too deep or scratching the car.

I will have to try that polishing compound.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke_Screen
I have an 04 and since I bought it new, I always thought there was some sort of plastic covering that they forgot to remove, and I didn't notice it until the sun had just baked it on. I believed this for years, but now I wonder if they had just faded out. I know I can scratch through it to the shiny part, but have had a hard time figuring out how to do that on the whole piece without scratching too deep or scratching the car.

I will have to try that polishing compound.

Hey let me know if this works for you. I always thought the same thing because it looked like they forgot to remove the plastic covering when they delivered the car to me.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Interesting.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:20 AM

Has anyone tried painting these things black? Or if you can buy ones that are black? I would be interested in getting these things painted, but im not sure how well they would hold the paint.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Where is my shirt?

Originally Posted by ElementK
Has anyone tried painting these things black? Or if you can buy ones that are black? I would be interested in getting these things painted, but im not sure how well they would hold the paint.
I think it depends on what color max you have and what color rims you want. But to much of one color never sets a car off I say. What color is your Max?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:11 PM

Mine is smoke, I think it would look nice if the strips were painted black to match the pillars around the windows and such.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Had mine replaced. Then they had to replace my front windshield since it cracked the day I picked up the car for having the chrome strips replaced.

Be careful with the windshield!!!
BadBlackMaxSL:

This is NO SUPRISE at all! I just dealt with both sides of the chrome being replaced, and they cracked my left side of my windshield. Had the windshield replaced yesterday, and they screwed up putting back on the chrome. So now I have to take it in a third time to have another set of chrome strips put back on. The Manager didn't want to mess with the existing set a third time for fear of crimping it....

By the way...did you all notice that the chrome on both sides of the rear window seem to be "real" chrome as opposed to this fake plastic stuff on both sides of the roof? Even when new...they don't quite match. Noticed this when I first bought the car. Can only imagine they can't quite curve regular chrome like that...maybe....

Jimbo
Old 07-07-2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by jattsingh
I just bought a 04 maxima, and the chrome strips were all faded. I took it to the dealer and they said it would be 82.91 per strip and then about $50 labor. The part numbers are 73852-7Y000 and 73853-7y000. Its weird because the strips next to the windshield and rear window are ok, its just the strips that run across the cabin.
Well...it's probably because that's where the most UV/sunlight is hitting on the roof. I had the same problem...and my car is mostly in a garage when not in use...Unfortunately, the chrome strip that fades, and will eventually fade runs from the hood all the way back to the top of the rear window. Too bad it's not made of the same material along the back window...then again it's probably due to the curve of the vehicle roof I assume.

The dealership here in Colorado Springs said it's a frequent replacement on the Maxima's...and I also noticed over the last few months that every Maxima with this chrome was faded...cheap quality in my opinion...

Jimbo
Old 08-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My experience with my chrome strips: I have had to polish them a few times this year as they seem to cloud up after a few weeks. Now I noticed that the passenger side strip has a couple of round blotches (for lack of a better word). I tried to polish them with wax and my micro fiber cloth and it did not work. Tomorrow I will try my chrome cleaner...however I'm sceptical, I think it's condensation and moisture damage....anyway...I had asked my dealer about this a the begining of spring when I noticed that they were dulling and they said that I was better off trying to wax and clean them as it would cost $400 C to replace them....so that's what I did. Personally I think this is all BS and that Nissan should do something. By the way Chern, the O4 Max's roof chrome strip is different than the subsequent years. The O4 has a true polished chrome strip similar to the seperate rear window strip.

Problem is that if the dealership is not carefull installing new strips they can damage the new ones or worse damage the windshield! So what's the solution? I think that we need to bring this up with Nissan....I'm tired of constantly trying to fix the shine on these strips and now with those two blotches (which I'm not sure that they will be fixed) Lucky for me they're on the top of the roof where they're not too noticeble...but what happens next year when it spreads?

O5 Silver Max SE 3.5 with electric Sunroof.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:53 PM
wsu

fit and finish, not

I had my chrome strips replace about two years ago and they shop did not get them seated as well as the originals. The spaces between the strips and the edges of the channel where they are seated is not uniform like it originally was. Also, the new chrome strips have a decidedly more dull finish to them that the originals, though I have not tried to polish them up.