6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Maxima remote key fob question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 06:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maxima remote key fob question

I have both an '04 Maxima and '02 Pathfinder. I find it annoying having to carry around 2 nearly identical key fobs for the 2 cars. I know that the Nissan Key fobs can handle up to 4 codes.

Anyone know if you can program a single key fob to work for 2 different Nissan vehicles.

I know that there will be times when the cars are in close proximity that I might have unwanted results, but this would be a rare occurance.

thanks
Old 05-27-2004, 08:41 AM

Here are the instructions for programming the key fobs. It works in the Maxima, not sure about the Pathfinder. You might experiment with this to see if what you want to do will work.

Quote from somewhere:

IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the transmitters you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will be erased from the memory. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program the transmitters again.

1. Close and lock all doors with the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch.

2. Insert key into ignition and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least six times within 10 seconds. Your Hazard Lamps will flash if you have performed this step successfully. NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder each time. If this procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter programming mode.

3. Insert key into the ignition cylinder and turn to the ACC position.

4. Within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the remote transmitter. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. NOTE: Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful.

5. If there are any remaining transmitters (including the old ones), unlock then lock all doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the next remote. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. Repeat this step for each transmitter (including any existing transmitters).

6. Turn the key to the OFF position, remove keys from the ignition, unlock doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and open the driver side door.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:09 AM

Thanks GrayArea51.

I spoke to the service dept. and it is not possible to have 2 different cars programmed on the same key fob. I guess this makes sense as there would be times when you would not want them to conflict (i.e. leaving the house for the day and you want to lock one, unlock the other).

I guess what I need is more a universal key fob, similar to a universal TV remote, that would allow you to program and choose between the different cars. A quick google search didn't turn up anything. I'll keep looking

thanks
Old 05-27-2004, 05:33 PM

A quick solution to your problem may be to install an aftermarket keyless entry system in both your cars. I know that with the systems that I install you can use one remote(keyfob) to control both cars. There is a toggle on the remote to switch between the two cars. It has to be the same system in both cars though.

I usually install crimestoppers. You also may want to go an extra step and add remote start as well.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by GrayArea51
Here are the instructions for programming the key fobs. It works in the Maxima, not sure about the Pathfinder. You might experiment with this to see if what you want to do will work.

Quote from somewhere:

IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the transmitters you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will be erased from the memory. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program the transmitters again.

2. Insert key into ignition and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least six times within 10 seconds. Your Hazard Lamps will flash if you have performed this step successfully. NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder each time. If this procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter programming mode.

4. Within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the remote transmitter. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. NOTE: Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful.

5. If there are any remaining transmitters (including the old ones), unlock then lock all doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the next remote. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. Repeat this step for each transmitter (including any existing transmitters).

6. Turn the key to the OFF position, remove keys from the ignition, unlock doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and open the driver side door.

Kinda along this same thing...do any of ya'll know how to program keys? And can you take a blank key to...say Wal-mart, and get it cut. or does nissan have to do it?

Dwayne
Old 05-28-2004, 04:34 AM

Thanks for the advice rabenoja.

This sounds like it's exactly what I want to do. Do you have a website for a good aftermarket system?
Old 05-28-2004, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell915
Thanks for the advice rabenoja.

This sounds like it's exactly what I want to do. Do you have a website for a good aftermarket system?

www.crimestopper.com

Look under the coolstart tab and the model I use is the rs-900. It's a remote start and keyless entry system. I don't know if you want to the remote start but, at least this will do what you want.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 AM

What can you program it to do?

Originally Posted by GrayArea51

Quote from somewhere:

So, What is the full list of things you can do for lets say an 04 Maxima SE 6-speed when you add actions to the keyless entry?