6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Chrome strip overlays - INSTALLED with pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Chrome strip overlays - INSTALLED with pics!!!

Since the day I brought my car home, I have loved everything about it . . . except the chrome strips. Chrome went out with the 70's, and yet car makers still use it on occassion. I can understand it used in certain applications, rims, maybe an emblem or something. But take a beautiful car like the Maxima and run two chrome strip right down both sides is a travesty . . . until now.

Now I know there are the Lightonthehill-types that like everything stock, and even like the chrome. Well thats why we have this forum - so we can share our opinions, no matter what they are. I just happen not to like the chrome strips. And then the strip have developed a problem of fading and looking pretty bad.

Here is a couple pics of my black Maxima with black overlays:

It was pretty easy to install, but a bit time consuming. Its just like any other overlay. Remember, the strips are divided into to two strips with a seam near the rear window. The longer strip goes from the front cowl area to the top of the rear window, and the shorter strip goes from the top of the rear window to the bottom, just above the trunk.

Have your tool ready: credit card in a sock (for smoothing the overlay), spray bottle with soapy water, a lint free rag (microfiber is great), exacto knife, scissors, large paper clip (to hold the rolled up overlay in place), blow dryer

1. Clean the surface of the strip really really well. I used several drops of soap in water and put it in a spray bottle. U may need to blast out any debris caught in the strips before u begin the install.

2. I started with the shorter piece. Spray the soapy water generously on the chrome strip. Unroll about a foot of vinyl. Remove the backing and cut with scissors. Lay the overlay on the strip. There is a curve and the bottom of the strip and then it becomes straighter. There are many slight curves in the strips. U have to make sure the overlay covers the curves and its done warming it up with the blow dryer and forming it around the curves. Use the credit card to smooth it out. U have to kind of develop ur own technique. I warmed up the overlay with the blow dryer and then formed it around the curves with the credit card, kind of like putty. The overlay is thick, so u can be pretty aggressive with it. Remember to tuck it down both sides of the strip

3. Unroll another foot and repeat.

4. Tuck the end of the overlay down the seam and trim with exacto. I use the cloth to smooth it out too. I found myself smoothing it out a lot just to make sure it keeps its shape. Its better to work in the sun cuz it keeps it warm so u can form the overlay to the strip.

5. I would go over the other strips I did periodically as I work my way around the car. Thats about it.

More pics:

What are your opinions?

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 10-21-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Where is my shirt?

I honestly can tell but... Are they black?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:53 PM

wow very cool man! your car is sweet- all blacked out and w/ those light overlays at a very quick glance i couldnt help think to myself......s550 ...haha. Thanks for the write up Im gonna do black or red come spring- fugly chrome.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:57 PM

Looks great, are all the 6 gen colors available?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:02 PM

Looks good! Where'd you get the overlays?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:14 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

deus, can you take some close up from different angles. Does the overlay actually wrap around the strip or is it straight and only sits on top?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:24 PM

These are black and match the car PERFECTLY. Other colors are available. Ask Andy at Bluebatmobile. I'd go with black on any ca unless Andy can get the exact color.

Order these from Bluebatmobile - bluebatmobile@san.rr.com. Tell him I sent you.

The overlay lays on top and folds down each side. The blowdryer is ur friend when tucking down the side. It almost tucks itself when it gets heated up. Kinda neat actually. Its important to make sure the overlay follows the curve so no chrome is exposed. If you find that the section ur working on is exposed, pull it up and re-apply, even if its dry, but not completely dry, and re-wet the area with soapy water and do it again. Its not hard, just time consuming. Plan on a couple of hours of careful work, but it pays off.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:46 PM
SickSE

You have to many modifications to the outside of your car. I know flame on, but you wanted opinions....

Old 10-22-2007, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by rabenoja
Looks good! Where'd you get the overlays?

They look great Mark!

btw-I just added pics of my new headlight lid overlay to my Gallery .

Bat™
Old 10-22-2007, 06:56 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Looks great bro, must look killer at night also...
Old 10-22-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Looks great bro, must look killer at night also...
Yeah, it looks like a shadow at night, lol.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:40 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

i saw these in person they looked SOOO MUCH BETTER then those DAMN chrome pieces...

Very clean dues.. cant wait to order min
Old 10-22-2007, 03:58 PM

Get em ordered Justin.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:20 PM

You have a very beautiful car! On a side-note, I wonder how much climate plays a role in the discoloring/tarnishing of the chrome-ish strips. I've had my Max for almost a year, now, and they still look brand new.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Stock Airbox Supporter #3

does anyone think that just electrical tape would work as a ghetto alternative?
Old 10-22-2007, 09:03 PM

Deus

That is hot bro. I want to get some for my ride.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 PM

Deus - For the SE, those are the cat's meow. Oops; that phrase went out with Nehru jackets. I guess I mean to say your stripes are way cool, dude. At least that wording brings us up to the 80s or 90s.

Like you, I am not enamoured with chrome. In fact, I have sanded chrome parts and spray painted them black on many vehicles over the last fifty-some years.

From the time the 6th gen Maximas were released back in 2003, I felt the chrome grille and stripes were fine on the SL (and even that took some mental adjustment), but were not at all in keeping with the SE's image. Especially with the darker shades of paint; too much contrast. Your grille, lower facia/air dam, rocker panels, tail light treatment, painted door handles and wheels are far more reflective of the SE's spirit than the OEM parts.

Very impressive work!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 PM

Thank you all kindly. I always thought that blacking out the chrome was the way the car should have come from the factory. Like Light pointed out, perhaps it might go with the image of the SL, but not the "sporty" image of the SE. I really dont know what the Nissan designers were thinking when they made the chrome strips. At least there is now a cheap viable solution in these BlueBatmobile overlays.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:32 AM
I piss on Civics.

DEEEEUS.. looks good my man. I e-mailed bat the other day to see if he could do the same thing but in a dark gunmetal. I have a Smoke Metallic and I think it would fit nicely. He shot me down D:!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 03:51 AM

I only have glossy black available for this overlay. The strips are so long I would need to buy a roll of vinyl in your color to make them. Go black, you'll be happy .

Bat™
Old 10-24-2007, 05:20 AM

I have a silver SL, do they have a silver color to match or do you think with the light color the chrome looks fine?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:07 AM
GrandPa

Looks hot, Now paint the calipers, rims and the trim around the grille black. Just my 2 cents. Total black would look hot.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:50 PM

its looks real nice, i would of went with red to accent the rims and grill trims

v
Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM

I liked the red, but it was a bit much. I hate to say it but in my younger days I have gone with red. Grrr, I swore I'd never say that.

I might put a nice red pin stripe somewhere on the car. Im open to suggestions.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:37 PM

Nastra622 - For any dark color (especially on the SE), I think having the chrome strips changed to black would be very nice. But with light colors, the chrome is not as noticable.

For light-colored cars, changing the strips to black brings back the same sharp contrast that caused the chrome strips to look out of place on a black car. I think the chrome looks fine with a silver car, especially an SL.

I have seen pics of white SEs where the chrome strips were either painted white or covered with something white, and that looked nice.

A lot of this rides on the tastes of the owner, and the image he/she wishes to convey.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Cheesing away...

looks great. I don't know why nissan still have chrome outside trim pieces.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:09 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Nastra622 - For any dark color (especially on the SE), I think having the chrome strips changed to black would be very nice. But with light colors, the chrome is not as noticable.

For light-colored cars, changing the strips to black brings back the same sharp contrast that caused the chrome strips to look out of place on a black car. I think the chrome looks fine with a silver car, especially an SL.

I have seen pics of white SEs where the chrome strips were either painted white or covered with something white, and that looked nice.

A lot of this rides on the tastes of the owner, and the image he/she wishes to convey.
That is why I am planning to wrap them in metallic silver on my liquid silver maxie. The vinyl is a perfect match.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sorry... that looks horrible in my opinion.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:48 AM

Horrible???
Old 11-04-2007, 09:10 AM

Its all a bit much for my tastes... but it looks good! the black looks a lot better than my discoloured chrome
Old 11-04-2007, 10:45 AM

how much are they?
Old 11-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Stang-seeking Max Missile

I used "black out tape" that I picked up from Pep Boys- it's just black vinyl tape. It comes in a 1.5" wide roll. I laid it on tight and used an Xacto knife to trim. I too like it better than the faded chrome. I did this awhile ago but haven't taken pics of my car lately. When I do, I'll post so you guys can see it on Smoke.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:47 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

good idea... prob cheaper toooo LOL... if 12 bucks a side was not cheap enough LOL