6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

FAQs about the 2007 bumper swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:59 PM

FAQs about the 2007 bumper swap

I've been getting a lot of PMs concerning the 2007 bumper swap, so I thought I'd start a thread to possibly answer questions for those interested in this mod. (Keep in mind I'll probably be editing this if new questions arise!)

"Where did you get your 2007 bumper?"
I got mine on eBay for about $50.00 on eBay, with about $50.00 in shipping. It was off a wrecked 2007.

"What about the cornering lights in the stock bumper? I would lose those, so does the 2007 have corner lights?"
The stock 2007 does have cornering lights, but they are in the headlight assembly. The 2007 has the FOGS down below (and we have them in the actual headlight assembly). You'd have to get some aftermarket fogs (the measurement is approximately 3.5" x 3", just in case you wanted to go that route. Or you can get 2007 OEM fogs, but those are always so expensive. Oh, and you'll also have to get FINISH PANELS for the fogs. It's the little matte plastic "covers" that go "around" the fog lights. It's simply a cosmetic thing, and I purchased them from www.everythingnissan.com for $9.00 for both (you can also get the fogs there for a cheaper option). So that's not an issue at all.

"Do the headlight line up?"
The headlights light up to an extent. There's a SLIGHT gap under the light, but it's nothing significant, and aligned properly there's no gap at all. I'm still working on that. It's nothing big though, and if you LIFT AND PUSH the bumper into place simultaneously, it should click in properly.

"What about the hood latch?"
This fits perfectly. No issues at all.

"How much did everthing cost?"
- bumper - $100.00 (with shipping)
- contours around lights - $150.00
- paint bumper - $250.00
- paint hood - $250.00
- Finish panels - $9.00
- New 07 grille - $200.00
- 07 fog lights - varies. $70.00 - $300.00

"What needs to be modified on the hood?"
The contour lines around the lights are different from the '07 lines. Those need to be shaped to the right alignment. The hood needs to be extended a bit in the grille opening to line up properly. I actually just added a little bondo where the grille contours need to be lined-up, so that wasn't a big deal. Oh, and there's a slight overlap near the lights that needs to either be shaved or banged down. My bodyshop guy banged them down since the hood is aluminum. Keep in mind, after the hood work, you're going to have to get the hood repainted. The red lines indicate where a body shop needs to bang and/or bondo to the right shape:

Contours:

Bondo in grille opening:

Reshape driver headlamp:

Complete re-contouring:

Finished product:

"What did you ever do with the cornering light assembly and function?"
I have not done anything with the cornering assembly as of yet. I'm still in the market for some fog lights, and Luke said he'd help me wire them to be functional as fogs, not corners.

"Could you cop the 07 hood as well, instead of messing with the contours?"
Well, it is possible, but then you'd have to cop the '07 lights as well. OR modify THAT hood to fit the 04-06 lights. Either way a hood would have to be modified. At least as far as I can see. And if you did get the 07 lights, the quarter panels would have to be remolded too. I believe I went the cheapest and most effective route.

Last edited by MissMiami; 02-23-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Wink. I'll do the rest.

Nice write up!!
Actually for a moment there I thought I was reading a post from Deus when looking at that first pic j/k Deus
Old 02-21-2008, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by larsim
Nice write up!!
Actually for a moment there I thought I was reading a post from Deus when looking at that first pic j/k Deus
that makes two... seriously!!
Old 02-22-2008, 05:38 AM

Lol, why? You saying his car is busted?
Old 02-22-2008, 06:30 PM

Very Nice write up Miss Miami!, but one ?.. What did you ever do with the cornering light assembly and function?
Old 02-22-2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by MissMiami
Lol, why? You saying his car is busted?
I think it's the red lines nice work but how come you removed the 2 grooves on the center of the hood
Old 02-23-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ntown45
Very Nice write up Miss Miami!, but one ?.. What did you ever do with the cornering light assembly and function?
I have not done anything with the cornering assembly as of yet. I'm still in the market for some fog lights, and Luke said he'd help me wire them to be functional as fogs, not corners.

Originally Posted by STARR
I think it's the red lines nice work but how come you removed the 2 grooves on the center of the hood
I just was sick of those channels. Wanted a new sleaker look I suppose. I think it turned out nice...I'm getting the hood painted on Monday, so hopefully it'll be even nicer.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 AM

so your sig is fake I like it and it makes the car stand out
Old 02-23-2008, 10:28 AM

Haha, no the sig is not fake...it's spray painted black! Kind of an interim fix until I could get it professionally painted.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:17 PM

Looks really good and sweet write up. My pops is considering this.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:20 AM

He should do it. He'll enjoy the results.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:28 AM

I'm doing this hopefully this week, but I need to find a bodyshop close to me. I stay in Gables by the Sea and I know you've given me a spot, but that's all the way up in North Miami Beach, which is a total opposite as to where I'm located in. I'm considering going to MAACO since they're reputable and since what the shop has to do is very minimal I'm gues it's something that they can do with no problems. I also need to find a spot where I can have my headlights painted to match my cars color (Liquid Silver) and at the same time have the halo/angel eyes installed where I can have on a seperate switch.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2k4MaximaSE
I'm doing this hopefully this week, but I need to find a bodyshop close to me. I stay in Gables by the Sea and I know you've given me a spot, but that's all the way up in North Miami Beach, which is a total opposite as to where I'm located in. I'm considering going to MAACO since they're reputable and since what the shop has to do is very minimal I'm gues it's something that they can do with no problems. I also need to find a spot where I can have my headlights painted to match my cars color (Liquid Silver) and at the same time have the halo/angel eyes installed where I can have on a seperate switch.

Any suggestions?
Dude please PLEASE stay away from MACCO , they will not be able to do that kinda of body work, The hire kids from tech school that do a lousy job and low pay.

MissMiami gave you a spot and if you want your ride too look good or at leat decent than Macco than go there , You get what you pay for .. but thats all you homie ...
Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 AM

Oh word? I've heard the exact opposite about MAACO, but I'll take your word for it. There's this one bodyshop that my car was in a couple of years ago when I had my small accident and they were very good. I should hit that up once again. Located by US-1 and Sunset Dr.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:41 AM

Oh word? I've heard the exact opposite about MAACO, but I'll take your word for it. There's this one bodyshop that my car was in a couple of years ago when I had my small accident and they were very good. I should hit that up once again. Located by US-1 and Sunset Dr.
I dunno about Macco in your area but non in Broward have ever done a good job. I had one good body shop also in N Miami but he sold the shop , Did all of Sinsters CC and Arospeeds car back in the days, Good luck and Hope to see you at the meet with the 3rd 07 front from Florida !
Old 02-24-2008, 09:48 AM

When is that meet? I'm still considering going, if I could get all these mods and a few others done in time. As for the MAACO, it's located in Kendall and as I indicated, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Know a spot where I can go to have my headlights painted as well as have the halo's installed?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:00 AM

Info on the meet
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=549989

As for the headlights and Halos , hit up GTRrider ,
Old 02-24-2008, 10:32 AM

Any suggestions?
LOL didn't we talk about this on the other forum? Hit up Luke for the headlights, and as for Maaco...you crazy? lol. And the body shop is worth the drive...although it's not THAT much of a trek.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Great idea for this write up!! I think a lot of people are interested in doing this mod because the 07bumper just looks better. It's kind of like the bumper everyone wanted, just not so lowwwww to the ground.

I am about 3 days from dropping my car off at the shop to get my car fixed and upgraded to the 07 bumper. Thanks for your help on this. I plan on having them take out the headlights so I can get some mods done to them while they are at it.

I am really considering the Halos but I don't plan on painting the headlights and I'm just not sure if they will be very visible with the chrome insides. So far no one has produced pics like that so I can have an idea of what it might look like. I've seen the paint headlights on a Liquid Silver max and IMHO I'm sticking to the chrome insides.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:06 PM

Hey! No problem! I'm glad I can be of some assistance. I hate when people do mods then don't let other people in on how they accomplished it. Lemme know how it goes!

As for the lights, I ordered my halos and they should hopefully be on the way. Luke said he's going to help me paint the insides and install the halos. I also finally got my 07 fogs, so those are going in as well. As soon as everything's complete with that, I'll post pics! I was worried about the same thing, the halos not contrasting with the blacked out headlights...but I suppose I'll be guinea pig and see how it goes :X
Old 03-06-2008, 04:56 PM

Any updates on your lights and hood paint job?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:30 PM

Hood is painted, although the dude did a pretty weak *** job. It's fisheyed and just all-around bleh. He also messed up the paint on my bumper in the process...but I'm trying to remedy this asap. Oh, and I'm still working on that gap under the lights...no point in doing it until all the lighting is fixed.

As for the fogs, Luke installed them for me! Yay! To do the fog conversion, you need H11 harnesses for the bulbs if you're going to use OEM 07 fogs like I did:

Old 03-06-2008, 07:23 PM

missmaami, im at the fog light wiring step now. i was too lazy to build one cause its cold so i was like f it, and ordered h11 3000k hids. now, just gotta wait til the snows stops to actually do it. spring break is next week!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:37 PM

Hey, this is MissMiami - You still need the H11 harnesses to install those HIDs...I have the harnesses if you need them. Do you have fog housing already?
Old 03-07-2008, 01:37 AM

Hey Miss Miami Glad to see the progress your making, but one? How are the new found fogs being controlled on and off?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 AM

Luke's doing a complete rewire on my lights. Apparently the headlight fogs will go on with the parking light (although he rigged it somehow so the blinker still goes on independently), those will stay on when I turn the headlights on, and then the bottom fogs will be controlled by the fog switch that would normally control the headlight fogs. lol. And THOSE will be able to go on by themselves. I dunno how he does it, but it's pretty damn cool.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:50 PM

missmiami, i have everything staright from nissan. i also got a h11 relay harness so i can get the power from the battery and the signal from the h3 fogs so when you turn the dial on the stalk for the 04 fogs to come on, the h11 hids will also come on as well.

my next mod is to rewire the stalk to be able to control it seperately!
Old 03-07-2008, 01:13 PM

Luke's doing a complete rewire on my lights. Apparently the headlight fogs will go on with the parking light (although he rigged it somehow so the blinker still goes on independently), those will stay on when I turn the headlights on, and then the bottom fogs will be controlled by the fog switch that would normally control the headlight fogs. lol. And THOSE will be able to go on by themselves. I dunno how he does it, but it's pretty damn cool.

Your car is hot MissMiami but i have a question for you can you tell me where you got your pumper i can't seem to find it on the web
Old 03-07-2008, 02:16 PM

I can't seem to find any used ones as of right now, but check junkyards...Luke and I went to a junkyard the other day and there were THREE crashed 07 maximas.

Here's a kind of expensive one, but maybe you can message them and see if you can get the bumper without paint, and you get it painted yourself:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...spagenameZWD1V
Old 03-07-2008, 06:42 PM

hey try this link for the front bumper cover unpainted www.1staaanissanparts.com and you can search for the front bumper cover for the 2007. Hope this works for you

Last edited by fcoral 05; 03-07-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:48 PM

Or www.everythingnissan.com
Old 03-08-2008, 10:24 AM

So how are you feelin about the gap under the headlight, do you find that it starts to bother you since the swap or is not so noticable so you don't even pay attention to it? ? Any ideas on how ot remedy that one, did The Presence fix his?
Old 03-08-2008, 11:57 AM

Yeah, like I said it apparently clicks in nicely, but I figured I won't even mess with it until I'm done with my headlight mods. It would be pointless to get it all in there nice and snug, then have to pull it down again. :P
Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 AM

Great write-up Miss Miami

I'm trying to get all my stuff in order. I have the 08 OEM Grille, 08 Bumper, but I cant find the OEM 07-08 fogs except on Everything Nissan and they are super pricey. The ones I have seen on Ebay fit 04-06 and dont have the smooth lens (they look like cornering lenses labeled as fogs). Where did you get your fog light assembly from?? I have been looking for almost a year so I can finish this mod but it's tedious.

I'm gonna wire my bumper fogs to the headlights fogs because that is less complicated for me. Hopefully down the road I can turn both sets to HID. I know Luke did your wiring and stuff for the lights, but was it hard to do? I plan on doing this on my own once I can actually find some reasonably priced H11 assemblies and mounts.

If push comes to shove and I can get the stock fogs, I'll try these... are these really Xenon though?

2007 Nissan Maxima Xenon Fog Lamps

Last edited by Propa Teknique; 03-20-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Add-On
Old 03-20-2009, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by tubells
that makes two... seriously!!
That makes three of us. I actually thought it was my car for a moment, lol.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:43 AM

I seriously was thinking about getting the 07 hood, but it would be cheaper to simply redo the front part of the hood. I'll have the 07-08 stock grille along with a chrome one added so that shouldnt be a problem. I definitely want cop the 07 Headlights but I guess it's not that important. EXcellent write-up!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 PM

nice job. i actually orderd vortex as well. it should arrive in two weeks and i'll post some pics.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:16 PM

bumper

i have an 07 bumper but i bought it new oem from nissan so my price reflects it being oem and new... not trying to jack no ones thread just trying to help out if u guys are in the market 4 won
Old 03-23-2009, 07:47 AM

I have an 04 max and I've switched to an 07-08 front.... I have one problem with the 6.5 gen headlights my turning signal lights don't stay on like they did with my 04 headlights... How do I fix this??
Old 03-25-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wantastic
nice job. i actually orderd vortex as well. it should arrive in two weeks and i'll post some pics.
For real?

Quick Reply: FAQs about the 2007 bumper swap