6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Aftermarket Radio install

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:44 AM

Aftermarket Radio install

Hello,
I tried to find this tread on the forum but had no luck. My question is, when I am installing the aftermarket radio, is there a way for your factory head unit to still have functionality with the different maintenance settings that show up on the display like fuel management, maintenance....Someone let me know what to do...thanks.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:37 AM

All that maintenance settings will be in place but you will loose all the radio controls
Old 07-11-2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lovemycar
All that maintenance settings will be in place but you will loose all the radio controls
Unless you buy some kind of adapter, I think alpine has one for their units, and I'd bet that other brands do as well.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 AM

Cool. I just wanted to make sure the maintenance settings were fine. Thanks guys for the help!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 AM

hello, i also had a question about this. Does anyone know if i get an aftermarket radio, will i lose the steering wheel control function? i kinda got used to controlling the radio on the steering so i dont want to lose that.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:20 AM

i Have the pioneer Avic D3 with the PAC SWI-PS PIONEE UNIVERSAL control for the
steering works great

Last edited by Lovemycar; 07-11-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:52 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by OK.Eric
Unless you buy some kind of adapter, I think alpine has one for their units, and I'd bet that other brands do as well.
No, the stock radio controls are displayed on the info screen if you remove the stock HU then those will no longer be there. And yes the PAC adapter for the steering wheel control works great...

The screen will look like this - the stereo info:
Old 07-12-2008, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
No, the stock radio controls are displayed on the info screen if you remove the stock HU then those will no longer be there. And yes the PAC adapter for the steering wheel control works great...

My bad, I was thinking 5th generation.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM

Im thinking about getting an aftermarket radio installed because my bose cd player sucks and is getting worse. It used to be only the passenger side that always stays on and driver side cuts out but not both switch on and off.. What is the best aftermarket radio to buy without losing steering controls! i just want to play a cd in my car without it ****ing up and having to explain to everyone new in my car all the time lol... SO EMBARASSING!

i also have navigation so i dont want to mess with that
Old 06-17-2011, 09:37 AM

How did you get the backlight in your lcd screen blue?? I want to do this in my o7. Is there an actual bulb to replace??
Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what else do I need?

Im upgrading my 04 max factory hu with a double din nav/dvd unit. I have the double din installation kit, wire harness, and antenna adapter. Is there anything else that I need? Will my double din fit perfectly with the items listed above?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:33 PM

replace

Originally Posted by bluenosepitz
Im upgrading my 04 max factory hu with a double din nav/dvd unit. I have the double din installation kit, wire harness, and antenna adapter. Is there anything else that I need? Will my double din fit perfectly with the items listed above?
Are you installing in to ma car with or with out the Bose setup?? If its was just the base model stereo oyu will be good to go. But if you are trying to install into a max that had the factory bose setup, then you pretty much need to rewire the whole stereo system...
Old 06-20-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by dee.signs
Are you installing in to ma car with or with out the Bose setup?? If its was just the base model stereo oyu will be good to go. But if you are trying to install into a max that had the factory bose setup, then you pretty much need to rewire the whole stereo system...
they sell harnesses for that type too but the bose speakers amplified sound MUCH better!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:33 PM

hey all this talk got an 02 max non bose if i put in a new hu will i lose the tweets on the a pillars ive been searching everywhere and cant find anything on it
Old 09-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

has anyone installed an aftermarket double din stereo in an 05 maxima? All of the major car stereo websites (Crutchfield, Sonic Electronix) tell me that a double din won't fit in my car, but I see double din mounting brackets on ebay. I'm hoping that the issue is just that the double din mounting brackets are kinda new. I ripped the dash apart today and it looks like a double din will fit. Replacing a standard stereo, not a Bose.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:26 PM

Yes it will fit I have one in my 06
Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

stereo help...

Originally Posted by jsmithsole

Hello, I recently purchased a 2005 maxima with the bose audio setup, I don't have the navigation. I want to install a indash in place of the stock radio but I don't wanna lose my maintenance settings ac controls etc for obvious reason. I see from the picture above this was done and made it look sexy with the blue lights, I'm currious if you can explain to me a little bit about this. I'm familar with stereo installs but never messed with this kind of setup before, what adapters I might need to make everything work etc. Also I like the way the sceens set up, do I have to get a dash kit custom made or can I find it online somewhere and if so where? I greatly appreciate any help you can give me with this matter, thank you!
Craig
Old 09-23-2013, 03:29 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2006-Nissan-Maxima-Complete-Double-Din-Radio-Installation-Dash-Kit-PKG403-/330831915953?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ANissan%7CModel%3AMaxima&hash=item4d071e6bb1&vxp=mtr
<---- watch this
Relocate your info screen like this.... http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...av-screen.html

Some tips;
When installing the aftermarket radio, the ground wire needs to be to Chassis not to the other black wire in the wiring harness. If you fail to do that, you will lose your tail lights and blow a 15amp fuse over and over causing more issues. Trust me I learned this the hard way.
When removing the radio, be gentle not to break the top piece where the vents are. Also the ribbon cables are not the strongest so don't yank on them.
When relocating the info screen, it is a tight fit and will require a little ingenuity to make it work. It is worth it though, looks much better.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:02 AM

sup guys..

I have a 4th gen thinking about upgrading to the 6th gen. I know how to do stereo install no problem.

My only question is, on a 06 max, if i install the radio will I lose all the mainentance info on the dash? Is there some way to maintain that functionality.

And why isnt this topic a stickie???? Radio install needs to be a stickies
Old 06-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guy's, I installed a double din on my 04 max. I noticed the maintenance info on the stock screen doesn't work anymore. Anyone know why this happened?
Old 09-30-2015, 12:55 PM

Bumping this due to some non-answered concerns here. Whats the adapter required to be able to still have the maintenance info on the stock info screen. I'll be installing my pioneer double din into 05 max. I don't really care about adding the info screen to the bottom but just using the stock one at the top.

Last edited by worldwiderecognized; 09-30-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lovemycar

i Have the pioneer Avic D3 with the PAC SWI-PS PIONEE UNIVERSAL control for the
steering works great
you used this?
Amazon.com : PAC SWI-PS Steering Wheel Control Interface for Dual/Jensen/Pioneer/Sony : Automotive Steering Wheel Accessories : Car Electronics Amazon.com : PAC SWI-PS Steering Wheel Control Interface for Dual/Jensen/Pioneer/Sony : Automotive Steering Wheel Accessories : Car Electronics

how did you install it i mean i see these instructions but like.. looks confusing lol. you plugged the adapter into the back of your head unit? what the hell is going on
haha

Last edited by worldwiderecognized; 09-30-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello,
Can someone tell me is this player+kit will be ok and plug&play to A34 2006 (i have normal player not bose) ? Is steering wheel remote control wiill work? Maybe someone have it or can give me some link with p&p 2din player and all wire etc from ebay or somethink like that.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Doub...IAAOSwnNBXVcAM