6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: What is your experience with the 5AT?
No Problems as of yet...<--lucky :P
26.64%
Fixed with Transgo Shift Kit install...
4.80%
Fixed with OEM Valve Body...
11.79%
Fixed with Upgraded Valve Body... <--Preassembled (NON OEM)
5.24%
Fixed with Level 10 Valve Body...
3.06%
Don't want to talk about it... <--still working things out
48.47%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by ElJefe134
I just picked up my 2004 Maxima SE from the mechanic after having the Transgo kit installed. I have only driven it about 10 miles, but it drives and shifts like new. He also found the negative battery connection at the transmission was broken off and the front motor mount is toast. Charged me $280 labor to rebuild the valve body. The shift kit and the gasket set ran me $130.00.
I highly recommend this kit. Very happy right now.
I highly recommend getting that ground cable fixed for the transmission. Also get that motor mount replaced and install the Motor Mount Insert. You will not be disappointed.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:15 PM

I need some assistance...

As many in this thread any other transmission failure threads have indicated, I too have fallen victim to this defective transmission. As others expressed, my car would have that violent "kick" when going up on gears and even when I would brake,,,especially when it would go from 3rd gear to 2nd gear. Eventually, one of the last times I drove the car, the car was stuck on 5th gear. I pulled over, turned the ignition off for about 30 seconds and restarted the car and it seem to have worked because the car was no longer stuck on 5th gear. A few days later it did the same thing and that was the last time I drove the car since it was stuck on 5th and nothing helped getting it out of that.

I want to go ahead and have this issue repaired for a very long time and nothing that would be momentarily. I've been looking into that Level 10 option, but don't know if that would be the best option. It seems the Transgo kit is just a brief solution to buy you enough time, but eventually you may find yourself back to the main issue being a transmission gone bad (if I understood correctly). Some indicated something about a valve body as well, but that too if I understood correctly seems to be a solution, but not a permanent one.

With that said, would doing that Level 10 option be the best option to getting the tranny completely fixed or is it "overkill" and simply having the dealership or a transmission shop refurbish it be enough?

I'm looking into fixing this issue very soon and want to make the best decision possible. BTW, I have an '04 Maxima SE 5 speed auto with about 62k miles if that helps any.

ANy and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2k4MaximaSE
I need some assistance...

As many in this thread any other transmission failure threads have indicated, I too have fallen victim to this defective transmission. As others expressed, my car would have that violent "kick" when going up on gears and even when I would brake,,,especially when it would go from 3rd gear to 2nd gear. Eventually, one of the last times I drove the car, the car was stuck on 5th gear. I pulled over, turned the ignition off for about 30 seconds and restarted the car and it seem to have worked because the car was no longer stuck on 5th gear. A few days later it did the same thing and that was the last time I drove the car since it was stuck on 5th and nothing helped getting it out of that.

I want to go ahead and have this issue repaired for a very long time and nothing that would be momentarily. I've been looking into that Level 10 option, but don't know if that would be the best option. It seems the Transgo kit is just a brief solution to buy you enough time, but eventually you may find yourself back to the main issue being a transmission gone bad (if I understood correctly). Some indicated something about a valve body as well, but that too if I understood correctly seems to be a solution, but not a permanent one.

With that said, would doing that Level 10 option be the best option to getting the tranny completely fixed or is it "overkill" and simply having the dealership or a transmission shop refurbish it be enough?

I'm looking into fixing this issue very soon and want to make the best decision possible. BTW, I have an '04 Maxima SE 5 speed auto with about 62k miles if that helps any.

ANy and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
sounds to me like your problem is a Camshaft Position Sensor problem. I recommend you get it replaced. I had this problem too and it was the CSP sensor. If it was the transmission you would have codes and the trans would not have ever reset itself without disconnecting the battery. Are there any SES or Check engine lights on? If so can you pull the codes and post them? As for the transmission kit. It is not a bandaid. It is the fix. The problem with the transmission is the Valvebody design. this kit fixes the design.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:11 AM

You think that's what it may be; a camshaft position sensor? What exactly is that? (Excuse my ignorance)

So with that kit, it definitely will resolve all the issues even if it's just a camshaft sensor issue? I'm definitely gonna take the car into a dealership so they can take a look at it, but it's a bit comforting knowing that I may not have to spend lots of money on this fix. One last thing, about how much would the fix cost if in fact it is a camshaft?

I never disconnected the battery, I just turned the car off for a few seconds and turned it back on again and it stopped being stuck on 5th gear. As I indicated though, a couple days later, it happened again and it was never able to be taken out of 5th gear.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by po8pimp
I highly recommend getting that ground cable fixed for the transmission. Also get that motor mount replaced and install the Motor Mount Insert. You will not be disappointed.
He fixed the ground cable issue and the motor mount is next on my list. Again, if anyone is having these transmission issues, get the kit. Just find someone that knows what they are doing. The guy that did mine is a long time friend and mechanic and did it out of his garage at home. Took him five hours and said it was straight forward as far as valve bodys go, but it had lots of valves to clean out.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:23 PM

You think that's what it may be; a camshaft position sensor? What exactly is that? (Excuse my ignorance)

So with that kit, it definitely will resolve all the issues even if it's just a camshaft sensor issue? I'm definitely gonna take the car into a dealership so they can take a look at it, but it's a bit comforting knowing that I may not have to spend lots of money on this fix. One last thing, about how much would the fix cost if in fact it is a camshaft?

I never disconnected the battery, I just turned the car off for a few seconds and turned it back on again and it stopped being stuck on 5th gear. As I indicated though, a couple days later, it happened again and it was never able to be taken out of 5th gear.
I had the same problem. driving down the road in third and bam right into 5th gear. then shut the car off and restarted, everything was back to normal. The final straw for me was when I was driving and the car shut off on me. That sucked. Got the Camshaft Position Sensor and replaced it. Everything was back to normal. Still a crappy shifting car but working with all gears. Then I got this kit installed and everything has been great since. Check your messages

Last edited by po8pimp; 10-10-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 PM

Hey, I think I've read somewhere in here about this. The actual Motor Mount has a connection to the battery? Why is this, what's the reason for this?
Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please help

@po8pimp - Hello, I've been reading this site for about 2 1/2 months now and have found about information from you guys that most of the transmission shops did not even know. I have got to get my 2005 Nissan Max 3.5 SL fixed soon. I hope I have not done too much damage by driving it for the past 3 months with all the problems. I have decided to have the kit installed since there were so many wonderful results from it, but of course cannot find anyone in Northern Virginia who will even attempt it. I thought I had found a mechanic to do it, but when I called back today, the manager of that mechanis shop said they will not attempt to put a shift kit in a 2005 maxima. He did run codes on it though and came up with the following codes: P1726, P0780 and P0735. My Max flares into 3rd & 4th gear and sometimes nuetrals out in 3rd, and also has very harsh down shifts. Do you think the kit would fix these problems? I have called several high performance transmission companies from DC, VA and MD and have had no success. Where else might I check to get the kit installed? Thank you so much for your response. I'm about to not have transportation to get to work and I definitely cannot afford to lose my job.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by SuperMario
Hey, I think I've read somewhere in here about this. The actual Motor Mount has a connection to the battery? Why is this, what's the reason for this?
the front mount does. It is a vibration sensor I believe. counter acts the knock sensor I guess. Not entirely sure if that is correct, but my best guess.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by morenaangief
@po8pimp - Hello, I've been reading this site for about 2 1/2 months now and have found about information from you guys that most of the transmission shops did not even know. I have got to get my 2005 Nissan Max 3.5 SL fixed soon. I hope I have not done too much damage by driving it for the past 3 months with all the problems. I have decided to have the kit installed since there were so many wonderful results from it, but of course cannot find anyone in Northern Virginia who will even attempt it. I thought I had found a mechanic to do it, but when I called back today, the manager of that mechanis shop said they will not attempt to put a shift kit in a 2005 maxima. He did run codes on it though and came up with the following codes: P1726, P0780 and P0735. My Max flares into 3rd & 4th gear and sometimes nuetrals out in 3rd, and also has very harsh down shifts. Do you think the kit would fix these problems? I have called several high performance transmission companies from DC, VA and MD and have had no success. Where else might I check to get the kit installed? Thank you so much for your response. I'm about to not have transportation to get to work and I definitely cannot afford to lose my job.
well I know Chernmax is in MD so you might want to ask where he got his done at. Also have you bought the kit yet? I would do that and take it along with the instructions to the shop that does the best work. Usually most shops with say no to shift kits due to liability, but if you show them what the kit entails, they might reconsider it. Everyone has a price remember that. the kit looks real easy to do if you have the tools and the basic valve body knowledge. The shop that installed mine, said pretty much that the trans didn't have a shift kit available and that it would be a waste of money until I showed them the kit and provided a bit of knowledge telling the owner what I knew about the trans. If you do have a kit installed have them install a cooler for you as well.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by gonzo92
Hey Chernmax
Did you have the kit installed yet? Curious to know I cant find a place to install it in NVA. Let me know, thanks

No I had my valve body modified by Level 10 transmission in NJ.

http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_Nis...a210-9000p.htm
Old 10-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks so much po8pimp for your speedy response. I have not purchased the kit yet, as I was waiting to find a place to install it, but your suggestion is a good one. Is the part no. RE5F22A the kit I need for my 2005 Maxima SL?

The knowledge the members on this site possess is amazing. I'm really glad I found this forum. I'm sure it has saved the readers of this site thousands of dollars.

Last edited by morenaangief; 10-14-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:44 PM

How is that valve body holding up for you with all that extra power?
Too good, I blew my freakin 3rd gear AGAIN!!! This time on the next rebuild I'm taking it to Level 10 and have it really beefed up! Thank goodness it drives OK in manual matic mode till I save up again for the rebuild. Shouldn't be as bad a price since the Torque converter and valve body are already done. Oh well life moves on...
Old 10-15-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Too good, I blew my freakin 3rd gear AGAIN!!! This time on the next rebuild I'm taking it to Level 10 and have it really beefed up! Thank goodness it drives OK in manual matic mode till I save up again for the rebuild. Shouldn't be as bad a price since the Torque converter and valve body are already done. Oh well life moves on...
damn what's that like the 4th time? Good to hear it's still rolling though. Yeah if I have to get a new trans it will be a complete rebuild by level 10. they have a really great reputation for their work with imports.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by djdownfawl
How do i buy the kit? where do i buy it?
Where do i get it installed?
http://forums.maxima.org/7400151-post3.html
Old 10-15-2010, 03:39 PM
i SeE what you did therE

i knew i would use the info in this thread sooner or later

137k on the tranny in my 05 SE-R and it has the "stuck in 5th gear" syndrome when i leave work in the wee hours of the morning. it works fine during the day.

looks like a trans-go kit and a decent shop will be in order soon (especially since i am working on an engine build ) guess this needed to happen sooner or later..
Old 10-16-2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by redmaxpa007
i knew i would use the info in this thread sooner or later

137k on the tranny in my 05 SE-R and it has the "stuck in 5th gear" syndrome when i leave work in the wee hours of the morning. it works fine during the day.

looks like a trans-go kit and a decent shop will be in order soon (especially since i am working on an engine build ) guess this needed to happen sooner or later..
Might also look into the CSP sensor issues these cars have.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:42 PM

Popimp, what cooler do you suggest in getting installed once the Transgo kit is installed? Can you provide a link to one if it's online?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:00 PM

Popimp, what cooler do you suggest in getting installed once the Transgo kit is installed? Can you provide a link to one if it's online?
I have the same one chern has which is the B&M Supercooler. I don't remember the exact BTU rating of the one I have.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:04 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Might also look into the CSP sensor issues these cars have.
yes.. i am looking into this as well
Old 10-23-2010, 10:07 AM

Hey guys, during the course of my never ending search for a tranny fix in NYC i have come across a tranny shop named cenco transmission in brooklyn. I took my car in for the shift kit install but the owner and the builder they have did not feel comfortable attempting the install. I did eventually find a place for the install. As i stated earlier on this thread i had the shift kit installed but either it was installted incorrectly, or my tranny is already so f--up that it didn't help much. The point is that the owner from cenco called me back a couple of days ago to find out if the shift kit helped since he has heard of our tranny problem before. After i gave him an update on how it didn't help he asked me to tell the guys on the forum that he is able to get new updated valve body from nissan for a really competitive price. Unfortunately in my case pretty much every shop i have gone to suggested a full rebuild. Since the shift kit didn't work and my tranny fluid is coming out black and burnt they are convinced that my tranny has more damage than just the bad VB (worn clutch pads, bad tourqe converter). So i'm gonna go with a full rebuild. The guy from Cenco told me that they are able to offer me a full rebuild with the updated VB for under $2000. He also wants to extend the offer to anyone from Maxima.org. So if anyone is interested call and talk to Max at:

Cenco transmission
2133 uttica ave.
Brooklyn ny 11234
Phone: 1347-688-9622

When you call just tell him that you are a member of maxima.org and Ron with the white max told *you to call. I do not work for the shop. I'm just a maxima owner looking for a good deal to fix our tranny. I would appreciate if anyone that calls the shop would mention my name so that i can hopefully get a better deal when i get the money together for the rebuild. If anyone has better option don't hesitate to let me now about it. Thanks for reading.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

help needed on 05 maxima tranny

po8pimp or any other max expert,

I have read all 10 pages of posts and could use your opinion(s). I have a 05 Maxima, that is only exhibiting the hard shift from 2-3rd (mostly when it's cold, but I can feel it most anytime). I have only 45K on it, but am just outside of my 60 month window.

I have a claim in to Nissan of North America to fix it under a "good faith" request. If they agree to do it,they are going to replace the Valve Body (that is what my dealer diagnosed it as). I don't mean to be ungrateful if they do approve it, but are they just going to be putting in another potentially defective Valve Body? Or is the new Valve Body redesigned/rebuilt to solve the problem?

I assume either way, I will take the free fix (assuming they approve it).

If they don't approve it, does my only symptom (hard shift from 2-3rd) point towards me getting the Transgo shift kit to solve it? I was a bit confused on whether my symptom can be resolved by the kit or not

Thanks

Sacfitz
Old 10-27-2010, 05:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Guys, wanted your opinion on something a tranny specialist told me. He said that the success they had with the transgo kit is so so, and he recommends going with the Sonnax kit instead. They sell both but he says he has had better success with the sonnax kit (even though he doesn't garantee success with either solution). The cost for the Sonnax kit installed is $1250, where as the cost for the Transgo kit is $460.

What should I do???
Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by firewall
Guys, wanted your opinion on something a tranny specialist told me. He said that the success they had with the transgo kit is so so, and he recommends going with the Sonnax kit instead. They sell both but he says he has had better success with the sonnax kit (even though he doesn't garantee success with either solution). The cost for the Sonnax kit installed is $1250, where as the cost for the Transgo kit is $460.

What should I do???
That price seems ridiculously high! Also how many transgo kits has he installed in the Maxima? How many were So, So? I sent mine off to Level 10 Transmission and paid $620 for a complete race quality upgrade to the valve body and another $230 for the swap! That's $850 total

http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_Nis...a210-9000p.htm
Old 10-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey i just got the Shift Kit - $75.00 ( TRANSTAR 1-(800)-835-1234 ) ITS TRANSGO
Valve body Gaskets - $13.00 (TRANSTAR 1-(800)-835-1234 )
Nissan Matic-K Fluid 14 quarts - $125.30 (http://www.mynismo.com/cart/Default.asp)
now i just need someone to Install it ;-)
Old 10-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

just call the # 1-(800)-835-1234 or in Arizona, Phx 602-885-6048 and talk to them its cost me $75
Old 10-31-2010, 06:54 PM

I found THIS write-up about how to install transgo kit for nissan titan. I know maxima and Titan is two different animal but pretty much this is what at least you will expect during transgo kit installation. A great write-up by one member on titantalk.com forum.

Does anyone know if any shop who can install this kit in MA or NH state?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:03 AM

I spoke to one of the tranny repair shop who is considered as one of the reputable doing all higher end works. When I called these folks to ask to see if they can install this kit in my car; they asked me back the questions "who told you about this kit? how do you know about this?" So I explained it to them like lot of maxima owners out there have had tranny issues and they have installed this kit to cure all well known maxima tranny shift issues. He then said well this thing may not fix your issue for sure so we can install this kit for you but it's all your own decision. He then finally agreed to look my car first then he said he will install this kit. He said it will take them 6 or more hours or even depends with $80 per hour labor rate.

Right after that I called-up transgo and the guy I spoke to shot me down right away with saying this is for higher technician level job so have them order the XYZ kit and have them install that for you. I am like yes I know this is high level tech job and that is what I am going to do, I wants to order this kit and have professional tranny guy to install for me. I then asked him whats-up with the tranny guy I spoke to says this thing does not really works? He said this kit has 90% of success rate on record so it's up to me to decide if I wants to install this kit or not.

To me, I felt like they both are like I am not suppose to know about this kit and fix?

My tranny always had hard shift from 2 to 3. And recently it started showing up engagement delay issues between R to D and D to R with light knock/bang.

What are my options here? Can any expert advise me please? Any feedback will greatly appreciated.

Last edited by saraara; 11-01-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

THE RESULT!

I had my transgo kit installed today and so far, WOW! What a difference! The car shifts like butter, I am really happy.

Basically, my tranny guy had his doubts too. But I sort of pushed him to get this kit installed. He agreed, but said he obviously couldn't garantee it would work. I agreed, ordered the kit, he installed it today, and so far, so good.

So guys, go ahead, get this done, its worth it!

Good luck to everyone else, and I'll post my review in about a week to confirm it still works.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:57 PM

If you are experiencing,

Harsh shift - it's like engines RPM spikes during 2 to 3 shift and during this situation it feels like transmission lost the power momentarily.
Harsh down shift - It's like little bumpy down shift from 3 to 2 when gas paddle in not pressed down and car is slowing down.
Harsh idle shift - thud or bump when engaging from drive to reverse and reverse to drive.
Harsh disengagement/re-engagement - thud or bump when car comes to full stop with foot on brake. Also thud or bump when taking off from full stop to drive.

All above symptoms refers to faulty valve body or solenoids. However that's not always the case and may be you are experiencing totally different transmission problems. However getting this shift kit install by qualified transmission repair shop worth a shot. Especially when many maxima owners say it works.

I know some of you are extremely knowledgeable and know what you are doing. However this is my 2c for those who are new to this. Please make sure before you hand your car over to the shop that knows exactly what they are doing and knows all ins and out of shift kit installation consequences.

Don’t just get excited and rush over to the transmission repair shop who says yes when you ask them "do you install shift key kit in maxima or do you guys install shift key kit?" This valve body modification or rectification process is not just about loosening some nuts or bolts and then tight them back. That is the whole reason why this kit says "when install correctly" then it will cure above transmission problems. Please make sure you and your transmission shop mechanics understand the words "when install correctly" correctly.

Last edited by KevMaster; 01-10-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:09 PM

I just caught up with one issue. Transmission started giving away little thus or baam while shifting from reverse to drive and drive to reverse. Just like others having this same issue but it's not that bad in my car however I can definitely feel little delay in gears engagement. My first impression was either bad transmission mount or bad front mount that is close to the radiator. Here is what I did:

1. I went to nation wide chain transmission repair shop even though after knowing their reputation. I asked them to check my car. They took my car in and came out with their diagnostics results. Bad front mount and bad rear mount. Cost to repair both is 5 hours of labor plus parts. Labor rate is $90 per hour. It took me only 2 minutes to walk away from there.

2. I then went to another local known transmission repair shop. I asked them to see what’s going on at transmission. This one guy came out to tell me my transmission mount is going bad. I am like wait; the place I went to before told me that my front and bad mounts are already gone bad. He called me inside and showed me my transmission mount had small crack on rubber while all other mounts were just fine like new. He then said you know how much time it will take to repair just the rear mount? I am like yeah at least 3 hours. He then said that’s all!! The place you went to before want your money. I thanked him and asked him how much he will ding my pocket to get this fixed? He said 2 hours labor at $75 per hour plus he will only supply the part for $135. I again walked away with saying I will call him back.

3. Finally I went to my local mechanic and asked him to see if he can confirm and repace my transmission mount. He said sure, the transmission mount just started showing some cracks so get the part and I will charge you $70 for labor. He is the guy I had some minor repair work done before.

Transmission mount is now on order for $85 through dealer and I will be getting this fixed next week through my local mechanic. No complain about first 2 shops because if they are in business to make money then I am also in business to spend my money wisely.

I will update later once my car get fixed.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by titanss
Sorry for this ? know it is in this thread somewhere.

What is the part number for the Transgo Kit for a 08 Max SE?

The best place to order it from?
There is no transgo shift kit for an 08 max with CVT.
This is for '04-'06 Maximas with the 4spd/5spd auto.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Shift Kit + Tranny Cooler installed only $600

Ok so I've added the pictures of the transmission cooler, its by B&M and the number is 70266 with 20,500 a BTU rating. *I've attached a search from google that can you can search of where you might be able to get the cooler online, some even have same day ship.
Here's the amazon link of where I purchased mine from but like I search around to see where you can find it cheaper. ($60-80)
http://www.amazon.com/BMM-70266-Cool...ref=pd_ys_iyr6

Also, there is a link to ebay page of which you will find the shift kit for $116.25 plus shipping its for the (5speed that you have)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=470976815019

Also, here is the link to his store: CTPowertrain
http://stores.ebay.com/CT-POWERTRAIN-PRODUCTS

Plus you'll need the gaskets ($30)
https://www.wittrans.com/showfilter....59&Section=153

The only thing you dont have to have worry about is the transmission fluid I'll take of that for you. *Cause I know at the dealer they'll charge almost an arm and a leg.

Feel free to shoot an email if you're in the DC/MD/VA area and I'll def be able to get it done in a timely fashion.

Kevin.smyth3@gmail.com
Old 11-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Alright guys. I was one of the first to have the Transgo Shift Kit installed in my maxima when I started having those all too familiar symptoms. I had the kit installed in June of this year and started having problems with the dreaded P0744 code around the middle of October. After a $3200 initial monies spent on the rebuild while retaining my old valve body with the Transgo Shift Kit, the car was stuck in 5th gear again and the P0744 code came back stating malfunction with the torque converter and bad pressure solenoid. I took her right back to the Cottman Transmission shop. They determined that the valve body was in fact bad again and needed to be replaced. They recommended VBX with the Sonnax parts and their tech who oversees 1200 transmission shops was saying that the Sonnax kit with the purple valves means that valve body has been updated and that the Transgo wasn't the way to go. I called Level 10 and talked to some guy named John who was kind of gruff with me; he noted that the Transgo "f***s up" the valve body and that I should send either the valvebody from the dealership to them or one from VBX to them even though the VBX has the Sonnax parts in it. He wouldn't go into detail what made their kit better than Sonnax and Transgo. Now it could be that my valvebody had become warped beyond repair. The transmission guy said they tried installing Sonnax parts in my valvebody but the P0744 code and symptoms still persisted. The VBX valve body for $555 the tech was able to get off the retail of $975 comes in tomorrow. I've basically been without my maxima for 3 weeks now. If this s*** doesn't get fixed, I'm selling this damn car! The shop that's doing the rebuild is charging me for the valve body and my total will be around $3755; this rebuild comes with a 3 year/36000 mile warranty versus the dealership's measly 1 year/12000 mile warranty. Here's my original post about this issue with my transmission.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....35#post7806435

Last edited by athlon omega; 11-08-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:53 AM

Level 10 has now a specific Maxima valve body rebuild
http://www.levelten.com/MAXIMA_Valve...-9000-55sn.htm
Old 11-13-2010, 04:39 PM

Update for my post # 409 in this thread.

So I had my transmission mount replaced today. My oil cooler line was also corroded and replaced today. I also did drain and refill my transmission fluid. I drained little over 4 qts and refilled the same amount.

Here is what I have noticed:
1 - Car shifts great!! I must say 90% improvement in shift in all gears (even before and definitely after transmission fluid change.) I believe it will shift fine until new poured transmission fluid become dirty again.
2 - However initial R to D and D to R thud or bang still exist. Sometime it feels bad while sometime not too bad.

I am going to have other three mounts checked out as well even though I am 99% sure they are fine when they were checked 2 weeks ago.

What else could be the reason for R-D & D-R jerks if it’s not valve body?

Edit: Dyamn....drained and refilled 4 qt transmission fluid yesterday. After driving about 150 miles when I checked transmission fluid again, it looks very dirty. I know drain and refill only remove half or less dirty fluid but still I was hoping to see transmission fluid color in between red and black but it's looking close to black. Perhaps require another drain and refill soon.

Edit: Did drain and refill twice today, after one week from first drain and refill. Transmission oil is now looking clear red. Transmission shifts very smooth. However that slams in drive and reverse still exists after driving for about 20 minutes or 10 miles stop and go. But the good thing is no gears slipping, never had that issue to begin with except for mild shifting feels. I will drive for week or so and update again how things are looking. Any advise going after replacing revolution or camshaft position sensors? Or it's almost a done deal and require valvebody surgery.

I did not mention this earlier but I added 4oz of seafoam trans tune and drove around for 10 minutes before I did twice drain and refill. Do this at your own risk if you feel like because people tends to stay away from any transmission fluid additive.

Edit 1: I drove around another 1000 miles after I did twice drain and refill. Now my D to R and R to D bangs turned from violent (sometime) to completely mild. I have yet to see one violent bang and then I will report it back here again. Although the 2 to 3 slight shifting knock (very mild....lower than even mild) still exist that I had from day one.

Edit 2: Drove 2000 miles and no change in transmission behavior. Next I will report back when I hit total 5k miles.

Edit 3: Drove 5000 miles and no change in transmission behavior. Minor delay frpm R to D and D to R still exist but far away to be scary.

Edit 4: Pending for 10,000 miles

Last edited by KevMaster; 02-19-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an '05 SL w/105,000 miles. Started the slipping and hard shifts everything that has been mentioned. So this past weekend I did the transgo kit myself. It is shifting like new. I figured with the high miles on my car try the valve body upgrade if it doest work get the new valve body. Glad I did it and saved a ton.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:57 AM

Alright, so like almost everyone on this post with a high mileage 6th Gen my car is also having major transmission issues, and I feel like I am losing power and MPG because of it. Now I am lucky enough to still have 1,500 miles left on a 100,000 mile Extended Warranty, and I am wondering if anybody knows if I can get the issue fixed with the warranty before it runs up in a month or two?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:06 PM

Anyone put 15K or so miles on their transgo fix?
Just got off the phone with a good shop here in DFW ... says they are well aware of the tranny problem, have installed the kit, but seems the fix only lasts 10-15K miles. Says the valve body is the only "fix" and to expect no more than 90K miles at that (Nissan part). $1300
Old 11-29-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Okiewan
Anyone put 15K or so miles on their transgo fix?
Just got off the phone with a good shop here in DFW ... says they are well aware of the tranny problem, have installed the kit, but seems the fix only lasts 10-15K miles. Says the valve body is the only "fix" and to expect no more than 90K miles at that (Nissan part). $1300
Yeah. I did the Transgo fix and it lasted for about 5000 miles on my car before the transmission gave out. The thing is if the valve body is warped over time then the transgo fix may not work for a long period of time as the damage to the valve body may have already been done is just undergoing a slower progression with the kit. I ended up getting a valvebody from VBX express wit my transmission rebuild, but the problem still remains as I keep getting the P0744 code and the car gets stuck in 5th gear. So she's going back to the transmission shop for the 4th time in 5 weeks. I think the best solution if one were to have the transmission overhauled is to just get it a replacement from nissan as opposed to a rebuild and get the VBX express valvebody that already has Sonnax parts installed.

Quick Reply: RE5F22A TRANSMISSION FIX