6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

seatbelts locked due to accident, can they be released?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:34 PM

seatbelts locked due to accident, can they be released?

Ok, I bought a car that had some front end damage - and due to the accident the seatbelts locked.

I am reading conflicting answers on this so I thought I would throw it out for discussion:

Can the seatbelts be released or do I need new ones? They are locked TIGHT - it's pretty clear that no one was wearing them based on the fact that they are all wound up. Here's some details:

Damage was front end only
Only driver steering wheel airbag depolyed
All curtain airbags fine
I had my SRS module (under console) re-flashed
Replaced clockspring
Replaced crash zone sensor
Tried resetting the SRS system by turning on key with door open, hitting the door 'button' 5 times quickly, turning off egnition, closing door, starting car based on a post here - this did not work
My SRS dash light flashes when I start the car (about to read the service manual to see if it has any suggestions on the flasshing patter which appears to be flash constantly with no stopping)

Anyone have any advice as I dig into the manual? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-01-2010, 03:58 PM

As far as a safety feature, the belts are done. Must be replaced.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

A friend of mine hit a deer in his 6th Gen and the impact deployed the airbags and locked the belts. Insurance paid for the replacement belts because they could not be reset. It's considered a safety issue to reuse something that was already used as a restraint in a crash. Kind of like repacking your airbag!
Old 03-13-2010, 04:26 PM

Seatbelts definitely have to be replaced, there are tensioners in them that blow as part of the airbag system to lock the seatbelts. The airbag computer may need to be replaced depending on the mfg specs. Until all damaged or deployed airbag components are replaced, the light will still flash. The airbag system does a self check everytime you start your car and if there is a issue, the airbag light will flash. The light should come on for a few seconds and then turn off after starting the vehicle. My advice is to take the vehicle to a airbag technician and have them diagnose what is going on. This is one area where cost shouldn't be a factor, its only the life of you and whomever else is in the vehicle that we are talking about. Sometimes airbag components can be partially deployed and show no signs of it, I would refrain from driving the vehicle until a qualified technician has addressed everything. Sometimes airbags can deploy after the accident if they were damaged and you dont want to be the one sitting in front of the bag if it does, they can KILL you if they deploy when they are not supposed to. This is one area to not mess around with.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:07 PM

I should have posted a follow up -

I replaced the seatbelts and all of the necessary airbag stuff. Seatbelts definitely are unusable after they lock due to accident, you are right that the tensioner blows.

The airbag module can be reset by a qualified technician (usually a body shop can do this) for pretty cheap.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:08 PM

True, they sometimes can be reset, but depending on the specs, some airbag computers need to be replaced after 1 deployment, 2, etc, it all depends on the car. A deployment counts as an airbag, pretensioner, etc, going, so if you had a drivers bag and both front belts blown, that would be 3 deployments. If you still have a light on, something in the system still isn't right, if no light on, your all good.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

myairbag dot com can reset belt tensioners and modules for a reasonable cost (they say they can even repack drive's bag). I've used them and they live up 2 their billing. Honestly, IMO airbags are overated and a scare tactic. It is called SRS- secondary restraint system- thus indicating there's a primary---belts. What blows in the belts is the sensor in the tensioner and sometimes a locking clip; it should be repairable. it's not like it got nuked. It was activated, it was used, it worked...hey that's great! It should be reusable not replaceable. The one-time-use is a ploy by manufacturers to avoid lawsuits, get vehicle repair cost up so they can junk them easier and hopefully sell more new ones...

Last edited by Maxxed2DMaxx; 11-15-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Maxxed2DMaxx
it's not like it got nuked. It was activated, it was used, it worked... It should be reusable not replaceable. The one-time-use is a ploy by manufacturers to avoid lawsuits, get vehicle repair cost up so they can junk them easier and hopefully sell more new ones...
Please read: The pyrotechnic pretensioner is the most sophisticated type of pretensioning device. The electronically triggered pyrotechnic device not only locks the seatbelt in place but tightens the belt to take up any slack that may be present, minimizing the movement of the occupant within the vehicle during a crash situation. Once a pyrotechnical pretensioner is activated it must be replaced.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 PM

I heard seat belts are life time warranty . you might want to call the dealer out just in case . u could get it for free , who knows =)
Old 11-16-2010, 08:14 AM
SuPeRmOd

how did you buy a car with non working seatbelts? is that legal? whatever money you might have saved seems to not be worth it to get it all fixed.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Maxxed2DMaxx
IMO airbags are overated and a scare tactic. It is called SRS- secondary restraint system- thus indicating there's a primary---belts..

SRS=Supplemental Restraint System

Supplemental = Something added to complete a thing, make up for a deficiency, or extend or strengthen the whole.

The whole system, belts and all is your SRS system, not just the air bag.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

SRS=Supplemental Restraint System

Supplemental = Something added to complete a thing, make up for a deficiency, or extend or strengthen the whole.

The whole system, belts and all is your SRS system, not just the air bag.
I don't disagree with anyones preference on how they want their seatbelts or airbags- new, repaired or from salvage. I'm from NY where we can't install used airbags (the only State in the Union) because some politician had theirs ripped-off from their Benz about 10 years ago and decided to sponsor a bill. I think thats BS and not science. I do disagree that belts are one time use throw away items. I think this is motivated by two things 1)greedy commercial interest on the part of manufacturers who hold a monopoly on their sales 2) an extreme precaution to avoid potential litigation. The belt tensioners are mechanical and electrical devices that can be reset and replaced to work properly again, but very few people have been willing to challenge the Status Quo to research these possibilities.
Thanks for the correction to supplemental from secondary, you are correct in stating that it is the completion of what the manufacturer suggests for their product; although a supplement by sequential order is secondary in addition to the main or first which was the point I was trying to make.

Last edited by Maxxed2DMaxx; 12-02-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Please read: The pyrotechnic pretensioner is the most sophisticated type of pretensioning device. The electronically triggered pyrotechnic device not only locks the seatbelt in place but tightens the belt to take up any slack that may be present, minimizing the movement of the occupant within the vehicle during a crash situation. Once a pyrotechnical pretensioner is activated it must be replaced.
Hey BadBlackMax:

I think you're quoting the FSM, right? Of course that is the safest bet 4 sure to the tune of about $600 in parts and likely another $400 in labor (for belts). My point is that those belts have sensors, springs and latches that can be replaced after impact to make them whole again and a few curious minds have figured out how to do it for substantially less. Is it a reliable repair? It seems to work especially if those legitimate entities that solicit the business are willing to be held accountable. I've not been involved in impact with belts after repairing them. I can say that even stock airbags and belts don't always work as intended. I have an 04 i35 which deployed only the passengers in a frontal impact. Everything was stock, belts didn't lock either.
But in the case of a full replacement and installation by dealer you have them to hold accountable in case of such a failure and for some folks thats the only way to go. However, if you DIY airbags or belts it doesn't matter if you used new, from salvage or repaired, you're responsible, the seller of the goods does not have the burden, the tech does.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:27 PM

At worst, replacing a seatbelt following a crash is to err on the conservative side of things. For example, the webbing can be strained and stitching may have deteriorated, making the belt potentially not up to the standards that it had to be qualified against. Don't count on being able to spot those things.

"Extenuating circumstances", like maybe you happen to only weigh 105 lbs soaking wet and aren't likely to have inflicted as much damage on the belting as a 300-lb person might, don't count for anything at all.

You should be looking at this like you do a motorcycle helmet following an unplanned "get off", or if you crack it up against a roll bar/cage/B-pillar in your car at an autocross/dragstrip/road course track day. It might actually be OK, but it takes an expert, experienced inspection and evaluation to make that kind of call.

In the case of a belt, it's almost certainly cheaper and definitely faster to simply replace it. If you're worrying about the cost of more parts, consider that you'd probably have to pay AT LEAST double the shop's hourly rate for a qualified inspection, plus packing and shipping both ways.

Mechanical and electrical bits can sometimes be reset, but absolutely should not be if they've been stressed above their yield point (bent) or otherwise damaged. At best, that's another call for expert inspection and evaluation. And even if those things are OK, you still can't put the spent pyrotechnics back in their containers, and I highly doubt that the igniter is anything but a one-time-use deal. Again, it's easier and cheaper to just replace everything downstream of the last electrical connection.

Norm
Old 12-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've read good points to consider and ultimately its up 2 your level of comfort in ascertaining and diagnosing the situation. Sound reason should have first place. Norm's scenario should be considered. I would never repair a belt that was in a major frontal crash. That leaves another alternative to consider and I have no experience with these but has anybody used the aftermarket belts?

Last edited by Maxxed2DMaxx; 12-02-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Guys,

I'm new here... stumbled across this forum on google. I just got myself a 2007 Nissan Altima that was previously involved in an accident. (lightly hit in front) All the body work was done, but now the airbag light stays on. No airbags deployed, and at the shop they told me that there is low resistance in the seat belts. Dealer wants $289 for each. That's about $600 for both. I'm reading that you guys are saying they're repairable, which company can do this? How much?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:05 AM

Seatbelts will lock you must reprogram the computer tho afterwards
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 AM

I see two possibilities in the shop manual for the 2001 Max, and I'm guessing that Nissan has kept a semblance of consistency among models and years

Originally Posted by 2001 Maxima FSM
Air bag is deployed. Seat belt pre-tensioner is deployed.

Air bag fuse, diagnosis sensor unit or harness is malfunctioning and needs to be repaired.
I'm guessing pretensioner, although the fuse check is going to be easier/cheaper.

Norm
Old 04-26-2021, 07:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

seatbelt only locks if airbag opens???

hi I have a 2003 Nissan Murano and i was in a wreck someone ran a stop sign we collided she was found at fault her side and front air bag opened my airbag did not open and i did not break happened to fast my car i was able to drive hers had to be towed BUT the police officer gave me a ticket for no seatbelt (I did have it on) but because it was not locked up he claims i was not wearing one and I was. My airbag did not open because I did not have that much of a impact she did so if the airbag does not open than your belt does not lock is that right. Help I'm taking this to court May 6th I am so mad i know i was wearing one the cop was not even there he's full of him self. I've had to miss two days of work. and on top of that she has no insurance or registration

Old 11-24-2021, 01:49 AM
Banned

Insurance paid for the replacement belts because they could Nox Vidmate VLC not be reset. It's considered a safety issue to reuse something that was already used as a restraint in a crash.

Last edited by geovani.kaesen; 11-24-2021 at 02:11 AM.