6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Had some fun with LED strips, whatcha think?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:02 PM

Had some fun with LED strips, whatcha think?

hey, I stopped by Kragen and felt like giving my car a LED makeover. I made some Audi flares under the head lights, You can't see them because of the camera but they are pretty much horizontal but they swoop downward toward the end and back linear AT the end (if that makes sense) giving it a pretty awesome look.They don't go on during the day, except for the first pic to show how they are positioned. I don't like how they look during the day. they go on with the head lights at night when it complements the silhouette and look of the car.
For the doors, i just tapped into the stock lights. I've gotten a few compliments so far. what do you guys think?

Last edited by twentyeggs; 04-22-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Got Retrofit?

I like the strips on the doors but the ones on the front bumper look tacky IMO.

Fix how you posted the pics please.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
I like the strips on the doors but the ones on the front bumper look tacky IMO.

+1

But, I think those LED strips would look a lot better if you did a HID conversion with switchbacks. Just my opinion of course. Another suggestion would be to finish the interior LED's too. Not sure if you seen this already but you should check out this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...pic-heavy.html

You could probably omit the LED's for the doors since you already have that covered.

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 04-20-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 AM

well i had those strips in the head lights but once the lights came on it overpowered the strips and you couldn't tell anything was in there. and these led strips are EXTREMELY bright too. it was a waste of time. So I placed them lower. it was why i wasn't in favor of the halos, because you can only use them at dusk and with the parking lights on only. the max's HID drown them out.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
+1

But, I think those LED strips would look a lot better if you did a HID conversion with switchbacks. Just my opinion of course. Another suggestion would be to finish the interior LED's too. Not sure if you seen this already but you should check out this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...pic-heavy.html

You could probably omit the LED's for the doors since you already have that covered.

yeah i saw that thread. I like it and ill probably get around to doing the trunk, and floor lights. i found a good led store that uses the same bulb sizes but insead of filaments, its a ring of LEDs. making the process of converting as easy as changing the bulb. the dome lights i donno. Are they too bright to be turned on while driving? my gf always turns those damn things on so this may be an issue.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:53 PM
KC's FINEST

Old 04-20-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
yeah i saw that thread. I like it and ill probably get around to doing the trunk, and floor lights. i found a good led store that uses the same bulb sizes but insead of filaments, its a ring of LEDs. making the process of converting as easy as changing the bulb. the dome lights i donno. Are they too bright to be turned on while driving? my gf always turns those damn things on so this may be an issue.
Sounds good man. IMO if your gonna do a LED conversion then you might as well go all the way. If brightness is an issue than you can always go with cool white or blue LED's for the dome. So, it won't be as bright as going with white led's
Old 04-20-2011, 02:22 PM

well i had those strips in the head lights but once the lights came on it overpowered the strips and you couldn't tell anything was in there. and these led strips are EXTREMELY bright too. it was a waste of time. So I placed them lower. it was why i wasn't in favor of the halos, because you can only use them at dusk and with the parking lights on only. the max's HID drown them out.
Kind of confused on this one. Did you install them inside of the headlights themselves or just around them? You should've just painted your headlights if you were going through the trouble of opening them up.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:17 PM

looks like something i did a while back.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:22 PM

I think the LEDs up front would look a bit better if they didnt have that "Audi" style swoop. Dont do it yet.....lets see it at the meet first! (if you do go!!!)
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM

I think the LEDs up front would look a bit better if they didnt have that "Audi" style swoop. Dont do it yet.....lets see it at the meet first! (if you do go!!!)
for sure man. the pictures do NOT do it justice its one of those things you gotta see in person. And if they do look better straight its easy enough to fix.

Kind of confused on this one. Did you install them inside of the headlights themselves or just around them? You should've just painted your headlights if you were going through the trouble of opening them up.
I DID put the strips INSIDE the headlights at first. When i tested it out, the lights overpowered the strips and kinda garbled it all together. I abandoned the inside the head light idea and put them next to my cornering lights OUTSIDE the head lamp cluster. hindsight i should have gotten everything i needed to tint the lights while i was at it... its a pain getting them off. oh well.

Sounds good man. IMO if your gonna do a LED conversion then you might as well go all the way. If brightness is an issue than you can always go with cool white or blue LED's for the dome. So, it won't be as bright as going with white led's
yeah, thats a good idea, ill finish up the led conversion full force when i get another weekend. Good advice with the cool white. I don't know if blue would be a good idea, i could lose the intended function of a dome light if i did blue. I was thinking of putting some blue strips in the crevice right next to the windscreen and on the back panel behind the head rests next to the speakers and have them go on when i click unlock on the key fob. that would make the whole interior turn blue to match the doors. only thing im worried about is it being a little overkill. like a bright neon blue growling nightmare with the noticeable exhaust

Last edited by twentyeggs; 04-20-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:58 PM

I feel you on that.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:36 PM

I was thinking of putting some blue strips in the crevice right next to the windscreen and on the back panel behind the head rests next to the speakers and have them go on when i click unlock on the key fob. that would make the whole interior turn blue to match the doors. only thing im worried about is it being a little overkill. like a bright neon blue growling nightmare with the noticeable exhaust
LOL

It's a good concept though, not sure how you'd wire that all together. And I'll agree with that. It might be a big of an overkill but ay, if you like it than do what you wanna do.

Also, I usually wire/splice everything through either the connection for the foot wells or connection in the doors. That way it'll only turn on while you have the door open. Some people use the power source inside the shifter compartment too.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by nineteeneggs
I DID put the strips INSIDE the headlights at first. When i tested it out, the lights overpowered the strips and kinda garbled it all together. I abandoned the inside the head light idea and put them next to my cornering lights OUTSIDE the head lamp cluster. hindsight i should have gotten everything i needed to tint the lights while i was at it... its a pain getting them off. oh well.
You baked em open?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
You baked em open?
no heat gun. I actually got the idea for the leds inside the head lamp assembly because i had some condensation in the right lamp when i bought the car and i knew i was going to need to take it off, let it sit with some silica packets for a few hours and reseal it. its been my experience that condensation can ruin head lamps over time. it made my last cars lamp look like it was dirty and scratched on the inside and when i took that one apart i wasn't able to fix it.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Yes.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:52 PM
KC's FINEST

Tight lights bro, you taken it off any sweet jumps? Oh wait...

I bet people will be mistaking you for an Audi daily, if it starts.

Last edited by KCMAXX; 04-22-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Yes.
sorry i pmed ChrisMan a while ago to ask but no response, how do i fix them? whats wrong with them exactly?

Last edited by twentyeggs; 04-22-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by KCMAXX
Tight lights bro, you taken it off any sweet jumps? Oh wait...

I bet people will be mistaking you for an Audi daily, if it starts.

if it starts?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:59 PM

how do i fix them? whats wrong with them exactly?
You have them left to right rather than stacked b/c its a pain to scroll to the right to read the posts and see the pics.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
You have them left to right rather than stacked b/c its a pain to scroll to the right to read the posts and see the pics.
weird.... they are stacked from my point of view.. ill go see if i can change it.

ok, i hope i fixed it. let me know cause i can't tell. it looked stacked from the get go

Last edited by twentyeggs; 04-22-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:10 PM

I think no leds like that looks better, they even look corny too me on all the new cars that have them factory like that for their taillights and headlights etc.

Example new kias and the new dodge charger rear looks like a ricer designed it

Leds are cool when used regularly to illuminate brighter but all these crazy ideas remind me of the crazy altezza trend years ago.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:29 PM

The doors look good...
Old 04-22-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
I think no leds like that looks better, they even look corny too me on all the new cars that have them factory like that for their taillights and headlights etc.

Example new kias and the new dodge charger rear looks like a ricer designed it

Leds are cool when used regularly to illuminate brighter but all these crazy ideas remind me of the crazy altezza trend years ago.

yeah i get what your saying, I've seen a few new cars that just don't look good with the led strips. for ex. the Mercedes

the VW

but you can't say the Audi doesn't look pretty menacing with those running lights..

i can also see how the puddle lights and neon shadows may look a bit "need for speed"-ish and no offense, seriously, but once you get over your stereotypical predigest and accept the fact that neon lights are cool you can appreciate them. like i did, you look at people who mod with LED and neon as people who conform to a silly clique. but realize by judging them as such, you are conforming yourself into a popular cliche group that hates neon because so many people criticized it when it first came out calling it "ricey."

Im not saying it as a bad thing, again, like i said above, i had my prejudgments as well every time a beat up civic with under-glow rolled up next to me. I thought it was lame!! but i started to think, why is it lame? because other people said so? and i got over the cliche of hating LED and neon and accepted my natural instinct to be attracted and enjoy the bright pretty shinny colors gaaahh Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and i respect yours, but come on, concerts wouldn't look as amazing if all they did was use a white light.. so why not cars?

Last edited by twentyeggs; 04-22-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:02 PM

wack on the bottom bumper
Old 04-23-2011, 06:17 PM
KC's FINEST

if it starts?

If it starts.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 PM

Nope leave those for Audi
Old 04-23-2011, 11:41 PM

I appreciate the feedback. Im going to take the swoops out of the strips and make them straight across. thanks guys!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:53 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Maxima deserves better. Leave the autozone strips for the little kids. Paint the headlights black and install some halo rings, if you need to do something.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 AM

You are exposing your license plate to the org. Coool!!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
Maxima deserves better. Leave the autozone strips for the little kids. Paint the headlights black and install some halo rings, if you need to do something.

the maxima deserves better? what are you broke @ss poor?! was this the car you could afford in your midlife crisis? lol i paid 12 g's for my ride.. 12!!! that's a g less then my motorcycle ahahaha..

when i buy a car that "deserves" not to have autozone led strips (were talking 30-50 grand) ill take your statement more seriously. if at ANY time a honda civic is more expensive then the car im driving, im not gunna go around with my nose in the air.

But if thats your opinion and you said it in a nicer way (not calling me a little kid) then, ok thanks for the feedback

Last edited by twentyeggs; 04-24-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:31 PM

twentyeggs just STFU you don't have to reply with a big long explanation to every little commemt.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:41 PM

WOOOW

A. Every single one of your posts creates drama

B. No one is threatening you

C. Did you really just bring up guns into a conversation on a car forum? He was talking about your licence plate for simple privacy purposes, no one said anything about going to your house and trying to "hunt you down". You really gotta chill out man.

Last edited by jsmithsole; 04-25-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:06 PM

A: my threads DON'T create drama, its the people responding to my threads that do, if you wanna come down on someone for all the drama lately, go to the one who keeps starting it!! KCMAXX and his little buddies. you don't yell at the steaming pile your dog left on your carpet, you yell at the dog. and no, im not calling myself a steaming pile lol. if you read my threads you will find i have never started any of it. i do realize however i feed the fire so fine, i will "STFU" 2000 max king, your right i don't need to be responding to thread trolls. i can see it does nothing but make it worse. ok problem solved.

B: im not threatening anyone either, i guess i didn't make it clear enough, keep reading.

C: sorry!! i deleted the comment seeing that it is being taken the wrong way, i meant for that "speak directly to the 12 gauge" to be said in a sarcastic and funny tone. yes it has a semi serious overtone for the extremely unlikely event that someone actually does hunt me down, i mean hell wouldn't you be a little freaked out and shoot someone that was stalking you too? I've got loved ones to protect!! but the odds of that actually happening are pretty much 0 so that message wasn't targeted at ANYONE. unless you plan to stalk me . ill chill, but you chill too, it was mainly supposed to be funny. and it is funny, no one speaks into a gun barrel.... duuuuuh, or shoots people because they don't "like" them lol, i'd be next in line for the electric chair if i did. your supposed to laugh. ill try harder to make my sarcasm more obvious.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 04-24-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:15 PM

anyways back on topic. I took your guy's advice and i corrected the swoop, they now sit horizontal. i also plasti-dipped the bottom bumper and nissan emblem, so it looks sweeet!!!
it got to dark to continue, so im going to hit the back of the car tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:28 PM

A: my threads DON'T create drama, its the people responding to my threads that do, if you wanna come down on someone for all the drama lately, go to the one who keeps starting it!! KCMAXX and his little buddies. you don't yell at the server for serving undercooked food. if you read my threads you will find i have never started any of it. i do realize however i feed the fire so fine, i will "STFU" 2000 max king, your right i don't need to be responding to thread trolls. i can see it does nothing but make it worse. problem solved.

B: im not threatening anyone either, i guess i didn't make it clear enough, keep reading.

C: sorry!! i deleted the comment seeing that it is being taken the wrong way, i meant for that "speak directly to the 12 gauge" to be said in a sarcastic and funny tone. yes it has a semi serious overtone for the extremely unlikely event that someone actually hunts me down, i mean hell wouldn't you be a little freaked out and shoot someone that was stalking you too? I've got loved ones to protect!! but the odds of that actually happening are pretty much 0 so that message wasn't targeted at ANYONE. unless you plan to stalk me . ill chill, but you chill too, it was mainly supposed to be funny. and it is funny, no one speaks into a gun barrel.... duuuuuh, or shoots people because they don't "like" them lol, i'd be next in line for the electric chair if i did. your supposed to laugh. ill try harder to make my sarcasm more obvious.
I get it man, its just some things you don't joke about.

But anyways, post pics of the new setup without the swoops.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tyutyunnik
I get it man, its just some things you don't joke about.

But anyways, post pics of the new setup without the swoops.

ok ok.. and i will do so tomorrow night!

4/24 @ 10:04pm EDIT; hell ill get the pics right now.. post in a few, and ill take pics tomorrow for the plati-dip and post them on my new thread "Tell us what you've done with your car"

Last edited by twentyeggs; 04-24-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I like them. Reminds me of some of the porsches Ive seen.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:30 PM

wallah

Old 04-24-2011, 10:33 PM

i gotta fix those holes the license plate left, took it off to plasti-dip the lower fender and like it off, you can kinda see how it is really dark there. the emblem is also plasti-diped as well. better pics will be up tomorrow on the other thread if you wanna see

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Had some fun with LED strips, whatcha think?