Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #1

removing and painting chrome roof trim?

Does anyone know how to remove the chrime trim that goes over the roof? does it just pop off? how hard is it to get off? also, to paint it, what needs to be done? sand it down to raw plastic? how do I paint it correctly so it looks good and lasts? i want to paint it black. flat black or glossy you think?

thanks for any help.
nickelbn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #2

Points: 4,629, Level: 43 Points: 4,629, Level: 43 Points: 4,629, Level: 43
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Does anyone know how to remove the chrime trim that goes over the roof? does it just pop off? how hard is it to get off? also, to paint it, what needs to be done? sand it down to raw plastic? how do I paint it correctly so it looks good and lasts? i want to paint it black. flat black or glossy you think?

thanks for any help.
the chrome is very easy to pop out. but hard as hell to pop it back in. you kinda gotta be an expert to put back in place. But i am not sure about painting it... Why would you want to paint it anyway? what color is your car?
if you want better chrome stripes you can buy it off of ebay too. they look pretty nice
Old 06-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #3

I want to paint it because the chrome keeps fading and everyone on here keeps telling me to just paint it, that it looks better anyway. my car is black. I actually like the chrome, but it just keeps fading from oxidation. i figured buying new ones would just have the same problem.
nickelbn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #4

Points: 8,064, Level: 60 Points: 8,064, Level: 60 Points: 8,064, Level: 60
cover them w/ trim brite... thats my future plans.
gaby617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #5

Points: 7,683, Level: 58 Points: 7,683, Level: 58 Points: 7,683, Level: 58
Do NOT remove the chrome strips- you may crack your windshield. I had my roof strips replaced by the dealership @ 4 years ago and they cracked my windshield- the crack went from the driver's A pillar to about 2/3 of the way across. They replaced it at their cost but its just a word of warning to you. Get the Sunday newspaper and a roll of tape and cover the surfaces of the car and then paint it.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
SuPeRmOd

Points: 19,709, Level: 88 Points: 19,709, Level: 88 Points: 19,709, Level: 88
just tape off car and paint. i did.
you are painting plastic, though they have a metal base.
i just used Krylon.
others have done other prep work and used duplicolor.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #7

Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43 Points: 4,564, Level: 43
you would need to remove the pillars by the rear windshield... open your trunk and you should see the screws that hold it in... then CAREFULLY pop the pillars out using a screwdriver covered with some cloth... then you would see how the strips are clipped in.. CAREFULLY pry them off... just be careful not to bend them as they are really long and tend to be unsteady because of the irregular shape..

just do the reverse after you paint it.. just be CAREFUL popping it back in as they say it might crack your windshield... mine did not crack considering that i used a pretty good amount of force...
morteljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:57 PM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima

Paid Advertisement