6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Transmission class action lawsuit

Old 10-05-2011, 10:41 PM

Hi everyone. I'm just checking in to see how things are going. I have been unable financially to get mine fixed yet. I only drive it when I have to. Thanks again for the updates.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:06 PM

I received an email today from Cory stating that he filed the lawsuit in California and will be sending Nissan a letter letting them know that they are being sued...WOOHOO! Keep your fingers crossed everyone!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:22 PM

I never got email from Cory.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey everyone,
I am a new member and read through all 11 pages of posts on this topic including the transgo shift kit thread because I am also experiencing the rough shifting issues with my 06 maxima 81,000 miles. My warranty was up this past september 3rd and on august 30th i brought it in to get checked because i felt the harsh shifting and they test drove it and said they couldn't diagnose it. I got a second opinion from a private mechanic and he said he's seen this before with this generation maxima and that I have the early symptoms of a transmission on its way out. I am praying for your lawsuit and was wondering if I would reap the rewards of the lawsuit if it is won, or if i had to email the lawyer and have my info included in their paperwork. Also, does the transgo shift kit fix the harsh shifting problem if it has already begun? I am extremely pissed that Nissan would do something like this that a month after my warranty was up, the transmission begins to faulter. I mean that was the purpose of buying a certified pre-owned Nissan, so that it would last a long time and I would have a warranty in case something happened. I'm sorry if i am asking someone to repeat the info but i felt like the more i read other threads the more confused i got with different answers. Thank you so much too for those who have spent their time and money researching and hiring lawyers. I would like to help in any way if possible. Just another fellow disgruntled Nissan owner. Thanks again, Anthony.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by goldmax06
Hey everyone,
I am a new member and read through all 11 pages of posts on this topic including the transgo shift kit thread because I am also experiencing the rough shifting issues with my 06 maxima 81,000 miles. My warranty was up this past september 3rd and on august 30th i brought it in to get checked because i felt the harsh shifting and they test drove it and said they couldn't diagnose it. I got a second opinion from a private mechanic and he said he's seen this before with this generation maxima and that I have the early symptoms of a transmission on its way out. I am praying for your lawsuit and was wondering if I would reap the rewards of the lawsuit if it is won, or if i had to email the lawyer and have my info included in their paperwork. Also, does the transgo shift kit fix the harsh shifting problem if it has already begun? I am extremely pissed that Nissan would do something like this that a month after my warranty was up, the transmission begins to faulter. I mean that was the purpose of buying a certified pre-owned Nissan, so that it would last a long time and I would have a warranty in case something happened. I'm sorry if i am asking someone to repeat the info but i felt like the more i read other threads the more confused i got with different answers. Thank you so much too for those who have spent their time and money researching and hiring lawyers. I would like to help in any way if possible. Just another fellow disgruntled Nissan owner. Thanks again, Anthony.
I bought the transgo kit, and it fixed most of my problems. The hard shifting etc only thing still happens are the bangs when switching from reverse to forward or vice versa.

To my friend above that cannot afford to fix his/car, just order the kit of off ebay, if you are in Houston, i can point you to the guy that fixed mine for under 300 (labour, gasket and fluid).

I will take my car back there to fix other things that are wrong with my car.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:09 PM

mojotaker before you have it replaced or when you get the kit see if that fixes the problem, also have the valve body checked out on it.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:41 AM

Is it too late to get in on the law suit? I have a 04 with 68,000 mi on it and i am having hard shifts and big bangs. AWFUL! i ALMOST HAD A WRECK CAUSE IT GOT STUCK BETWEEN 2-3 WITH MY KIDS IN THE CAR! Please help.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Add me to the list

Not sure if I'm in the same boat but 125,000 and I'm having major issues with the tranny. I know the more the merrier for a class action suit so I'm in.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:37 PM
SuPeRmOd

If it actually goes through you shouldn't have to worry about "getting in it." They will find you. You actually want Nissan to react with a recall or extended warranty. Not a financial settlement which makes lawyers rich and we see $100 check.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Going to order my valve body in the morning, and I am keeping my receipt in case they do a recall so I can get my money back.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
If it actually goes through you shouldn't have to worry about "getting in it." They will find you. You actually want Nissan to react with a recall or extended warranty. Not a financial settlement which makes lawyers rich and we see $100 check.
Agree with this comment. Since this is a class action suit, people will be notified once this moves through the discovery process and the class action moves into second gear (without any slippage). Sorry...couldn't help myself! At this point, everyone just needs to hang tight and see if this thing gets remedied quickly. The objective would be as NismoMax says...recall or extended warranty. In addition, reimbursement to those of us who have already spent $$ to fix their problems with the tranny.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Thanks Guys!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SilviaMaxine
Thanks Guys!

I second that...THANKS EVERYONE!!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by mojotaker
I bought the transgo kit, and it fixed most of my problems. The hard shifting etc only thing still happens are the bangs when switching from reverse to forward or vice versa.

To my friend above that cannot afford to fix his/car, just order the kit of off ebay, if you are in Houston, i can point you to the guy that fixed mine for under 300 (labour, gasket and fluid).

I will take my car back there to fix other things that are wrong with my car.
Thank you. I am in the Chicago area. When I am able, I do plan to order the valve body kit and have a reputable place to put it on.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:33 PM

once that tranmission is fixed it feels like the best car ever, mine got replaced a month before I bought lets just see how long this one hold's up it shouldnt be a problem.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Another transmission victim here. I have an automatic 2004 Maxima with 130,000. I was starting to experience the car jerking and slamming into gear when I would go from drive to stop to reverse and rolling drive into acceleration. I took it to my mechanic, and he said the tranny is on the way out. He quoted me $3800 to replace it. I'm considering just selling the car and getting a newer Max, or something new altogether.

I've just tonight submitted an email to Cory as well as submitting a complaint to NHTSA. Just curious if there is anything new to report. I'm wanting to decide if I should wait this out, or if I should just cut bait and get a new car.

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the hard work everyone has put into this.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yet another victim

I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima I purchased from dealer used, and have the R to D issue as well as it's beginning to have problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I don't drive this vehicle roughly at all. I have a lot of miles on it but that's due to my daily commute to work. 135k. Whether or not I have a lot of miles though, this should be a recall.

I am definitely up for getting in on the lawsuit.

Incidentally I bought the powertrain warranty from the dealer, but didn't notice until too late.

Any more information on this? Is it related to motor mounts going out? I just looked tonight and it appears I have one that's failed. Also, any tips short of buying a new transmission or other ways to buy some time? $3500 is ridiculous especially on a car I bought mainly because of the name (Nissan). Would've been better off with US made.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow

what an acknowledgement...
http://www.levelten.com/MAXIMA_Valve...-9000-55sn.htm

so how likely is it to be just the valve body and maybe a motor mount?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I exchanged emails with Cory today, and he stated that "We just filed the case recently. I’d be surprised if a settlement is coming soon." Just thought I'd share that with you all.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:16 AM

I too have been in contact with Cory. If you have not already, please e-mail him your story. It is also very important that we save all paperwork that we have, especially invoices, and correspondence with Nissan. They might be needed
Old 10-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Initiating and Pursuing this lawsuit will be my last great act for the awesome Maxima community.

"Red Heat IS 4 Sale!!!"
Old 10-23-2011, 08:21 AM
VIP

I just got my tensioner changed, my tranny is on the way out definitely. I'm down for this. All in. Let me know what you need from me. 04 Elite Package, SE, Auto, 76k
Old 10-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Digital
I just got my tensioner changed, my tranny is on the way out definitely. I'm down for this. All in. Let me know what you need from me. 04 Elite Package, SE, Auto, 76k

I hear you bro, after 24 years in the military I always made sure the fights were just! Nissan is an awesome company and just needs to make this right. There is nothing in it for me (other than knowing they will correct their flaw). The 6th Gen Maxima is a awesome car, fix the tranny, solidify the legend!!!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:12 AM
VIP

Originally Posted by chernmax
I contacted:

http://www.caddellchapman.com/Consum...Products.shtml

And gave the lawfirm a description of our 04-06 transmission problems, I'll wait to hear back and get the word out to other members from the Orgs/Boards/Groups/clubs who I know have similiar issues.
Originally Posted by edjose17
it could even apply to failing secondary timing chain tensioners on the VQ.
I hear you bro, after 24 years in the military I always made sure the fights were just! Nissan is an awesome company and just needs to make this right. There is nothing in it for me (other than knowing they will correct their flaw). The 6th Gen Maxima is a awesome car, fix the tranny, solidify the legend!!!
Indeed! I'm glad you've taken the time to do this. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 AM

I wish you all good luck on this Class Action Law Suit. Hope it turns out for the best for you all!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:10 PM

Initiating and Pursuing this lawsuit will be my last great act for the awesome Maxima community.

"Red Heat IS 4 Sale!!!"
Thank you Chermax!!!!!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by SilviaMaxine
Thank you Chermax!!!!!
I mean Chernmax!!
Old 10-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please keep us informed about the possibilities of a class-action suit. I have an '06 SL with identical problems with the transmission. Only 52,000 miles and 2 months out of warrantee. Ridiculous!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

be careful it didnt fix mine $575.00 in the hole same problem
Old 10-28-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by bassin518
be careful it didnt fix mine $575.00 in the hole same problem
What did you spend the $575. on? What Problems do you have?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 PM

I've got 110k on my car, and its smooth as butter. Is this problem excluded on the 5AT or is it the 4AT and 5AT that are effected?

i have a little wishful thinking going on..
Old 10-29-2011, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
I've got 110k on my car, and its smooth as butter. Is this problem excluded on the 5AT or is it the 4AT and 5AT that are effected?

i have a little wishful thinking going on..
The problem is not common on the 4AT.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:23 AM

twentyeggs
Once the transmission is fixed or its working these cars feel like the best in the world. I have 73,109 miles on mine and that car drives like I just bought it off the showroom floor. The Contour I had prior felt like it was already ready to give out at 73000 miles back in 2004, and the 93 maxima prior to that still ran past 250,000 and still had strength.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
twentyeggs
Once the transmission is fixed or its working these cars feel like the best in the world. I have 73,109 miles on mine and that car drives like I just bought it off the showroom floor. The Contour I had prior felt like it was already ready to give out at 73000 miles back in 2004, and the 93 maxima prior to that still ran past 250,000 and still had strength.
yeah, im getting ready to take my max into level 10, i don't have any issues yet, but im looking to get a turbo kit installed which i fear may do what it did to churnmax's max.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys!
I have 2005 Maxima SE with 5 speed auto. Transmission jerks shifting 1->2 and 2->3 since I bought a car (25k miles), now almost 75k. I asked dealers 3 or 4 times, and each time got an answer "could not reproduce a problem". I would definitely like to take part in this case. Do I need to write to somebody or register somewhere? Your advices are appreciated.

BTW: I found a very temporary (lasts for about 3 months) solution which helps to improve shifting: I add about 1/3 of Seafoam TransTune bottle into a fluid. It starts to work 3-4 days later. But, as I said, effect is gone after 3-4 months. May be this advice helps somebody...
Old 10-30-2011, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by timeau
Hi guys!
I have 2005 Maxima SE with 5 speed auto. Transmission jerks shifting 1->2 and 2->3 since I bought a car (25k miles), now almost 75k. I asked dealers 3 or 4 times, and each time got an answer "could not reproduce a problem".
Flush the tranny if it has never been drained. Use Matic K ATF. Of course changing the VB is usually the destined destination.....90k+ miles.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Costee
Flush the tranny if it has never been drained. Use Matic K ATF. Of course changing the VB is usually the destined destination.....90k+ miles.
I did it myself. Transmission is filled by Amalie synthetic ATF. I would changed VB, but I am not sure that this is a permanent solution.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:44 PM

My 2004 Maxima became so unsafe that I traded it in for a 2011 Honda Accord EXL (payments again) and already retired, GREAT!

Will I be able to get any compensation from the lawsuit even though I no longer have the vehicle? I just could no longer even drive this vehicle just to the local market as I was almost getting rearended when the vehicle would lose accelleration or start lunging forward at a stop. Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,

Safely driving a Honda
Old 10-31-2011, 08:49 PM

brunelcc How do you like the accord compared to the Maxima was the max better or is the accord better?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm definitely in just spent 4k to rebuild tranny about month ago

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission class action lawsuit