6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

04-06 max 6speed or 03-06 g35 sedan 6speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:07 PM

04-06 max 6speed or 03-06 g35 sedan 6speed

which one is better and which 1 is faster stock and which 1 is easy to mod thanx for info and help
Old 01-14-2011, 06:12 PM

G35. You can get a GTM supercharger or go turbo. Avoid the 6th Gen Maxima. Plagued with issues. That's mostly why I traded up for a G37.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

6 speed max. It lighter, and faster and more roomy.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
6 speed max. It lighter, and faster and more roomy.

nice max man so i should go with the max it would be fun to race your max with my 850t5
Old 01-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

not even a question the G is far more better built....
and rwd platform
fwd is gay end of story
Old 01-14-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by OwenMaxx
not even a question the G is far more better built....
and rwd platform
fwd is gay end of story
they are built buy the same company smart guy.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by 99MAXPIMP
nice max man so i should go with the max it would be fun to race your max with my 850t5
Sure thing. Ill make sure Im on my street tires and not the race tires, and let me know how much of a head start you would like!!!

Crusher 103: That reminded me of the movie Animal House when Dean Wormer said something like that to the President of the fraternity.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 PM

Sure thing. Ill make sure Im on my street tires and not the race tires, and let me know how much of a head start you would like!!!

Crusher 103: That reminded me of the movie Animal House when Dean Wormer said something like that to the President of the fraternity.
u think it will be that easy for u im at 290whp 3167lbs in the 850 t5 wagon
Old 01-15-2011, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by 99MAXPIMP
u think it will be that easy for u im at 290whp 3167lbs in the 850 t5 wagon
Yes sir unless ur an awesome driver.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:07 AM

i am how much power u have and i bet your car is fatter than mine lol all i have to do is turn up the boost
Old 01-15-2011, 03:29 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

i say the G35 sedan

6th gen is just a big *** boat
Old 01-15-2011, 04:15 AM

Dont underestimate those T5s
Old 01-15-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Maxima in Tennessee. G35 in Japan. Just because they are built by the same company, doesn't mean they are built the same.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Maxima in Tennessee. G35 in Japan. Just because they are built by the same company, doesn't mean they are built the same.
A nissan is a nissan no matter where its made. They are built the same.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:41 AM

get a 5th gen

Old 01-15-2011, 12:54 PM

My 6th gen max with 6 speed manual smokes the G35 like there's no tomorrow but yeah it does have a big ***.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 PM

A nissan is a nissan no matter where its made. They are built the same.
LMAO They are not. The build quality of my '04 Maxima was crap. It was my 4th and last Maxima, and the most poorly built. That's when they started building them in Smyrna.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:11 PM

LMAO They are not. The build quality of my '04 Maxima was crap. It was my 4th and last Maxima, and the most poorly built. That's when they started building them in Smyrna.

wow. hate to burst your bubble, smart guy, but it is very naive to think that the build quality of a car company is the same regardless of the build location. do you think the build quality of a Bentley or a Bugatti is the same as a SEAT or Skoda? They are all VWs, right? I hardly think so. (I do admit those are drastic example comparisons...)
Old 01-15-2011, 02:35 PM

THIS^

I owned an 04 for a couple of years and it was dreadful. Regretted not buying a G35 every time i stepped inside. The 03/04 G35's were poorly built as well, look for an 05+ when they improved the interior and revised the front and rear bumpers.
The only thing similar about these cars is the motor. Everything else is drastically different (they even sound drastically different). The superior handling and MUCH smaller turning radius of the G, along with its resale value should be enough to offset any price difference.

Dont take advice from anyone who thinks their car is gods gift to man.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rood
get a 5th gen

i would but wife says they look like **** lol
Old 01-15-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by tcb_02_max

wow. hate to burst your bubble, smart guy, but it is very naive to think that the build quality of a car company is the same regardless of the build location. do you think the build quality of a Bentley or a Bugatti is the same as a SEAT or Skoda? They are all VWs, right? I hardly think so. (I do admit those are drastic example comparisons...)
The both of you are naive, your stuck on that, "oh since its built in america, its crap" blame the design not where it was built, Its has been proven time and time again the design is to blame.

Have you guys been in a "quality japanese built" G35s? Its not all its cracked up to be, honestly. They are more fun than maximas without a doubt rwd and they feel more powerful, but build quality because they are made in america? Thats not grounds for an argument, thats just ignorance.

Mexican and Chinese products i wont speak for thou......
Old 01-15-2011, 09:05 PM

The both of you are naive, your stuck on that, "oh since its built in america, its crap" blame the design not where it was built, Its has been proven time and time again the design is to blame.

Have you guys been in a "quality japanese built" G35s? Its not all its cracked up to be, honestly. They are more fun than maximas without a doubt rwd and they feel more powerful, but build quality because they are made in america? Thats not grounds for an argument, thats just ignorance.

Mexican and Chinese products i wont speak for thou......
Like I said. The '04 was the fourth Maxima I had owned. Compared to my '90/95/99, the fit and finish was garbage. Just look through the 6th Gen forum. There's all the proof you need. The truth is the truth.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:14 PM

Like I said. The '04 was the fourth Maxima I had owned. Compared to my '90/95/99, the fit and finish was garbage. Just look through the 6th Gen forum. There's all the proof you need. The truth is the truth.
You praised it while you had it, what happened.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by RAZ76
You praised it while you had it, what happened.
Don't get me wrong... I loved that car, even with all its quirks. But out of all the Maximas I owned, it was the fastest/most modded, yet the most troublesome (even before the mods... some of the mods were to replace stock parts that went bad).

But I am seeing a lot of you guys with many of the same recurring issues. ABS/struts and mounts/transmission/shimmy/timing chain tensioners/torn CV boot etc. etc. So many costly repairs that should be unnecessary in this day and age.

My Maxima was in the shop a lot... I had to get pretty much everything fixed/replaced except for the transmission and timing chain tensioners. But those two were only a matter of time.

I've had my G37 since March, and it's only been to the dealer for car washes, and one oil change. I did the last one myself. Within this same time period, my Maxima was at the dealer for quite a few things. That same night I brought the car home, simply backing my car out of the garage, there was a very loud hum/vibration. Dropped it off the very next day. They had the car for 4 days just to track it down. Something was loose behind the dashboard. Then the first time we had snow, the sunroof leaked... just once thankfully. Rear deck rattle that they never really fixed. Lots of other squeaks not even 6 months into ownership. And the shimmy. Warped rotors. Just a lot of unnecessary problems.

The G is a whole different animal.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:57 AM

I have actually 4 fourth gens right now, 2 I30s, 2 Maxs, i dont notice one difference in build quality, atleast 7 of my friends have 350Zs and G35s, honestly there is no difference in build quality, i have worked on them driven them, a matter a fact those cars are WORSE then these 4th gens, and by a large margin, especially the Gs, so many dash rattles and small things going wrong on them, 350Z have the junkiest sounding doors i have ever heard. 6th gens are no models of fit and finish but they are in no means worse then a G35.

Nissan are just nissans. Apparently you have been keeping up with the rest of us that have noticed, the build quality of nissan has been going downhill since the mid 90s, it peak around the 6th gen/G35/350Z times, its only recently started to come back.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:00 AM

Don't get me wrong... I loved that car, even with all its quirks. But out of all the Maximas I owned, it was the fastest/most modded, yet the most troublesome (even before the mods... some of the mods were to replace stock parts that went bad).

But I am seeing a lot of you guys with many of the same recurring issues. ABS/struts and mounts/transmission/shimmy/timing chain tensioners/torn CV boot etc. etc. So many costly repairs that should be unnecessary in this day and age.

My Maxima was in the shop a lot... I had to get pretty much everything fixed/replaced except for the transmission and timing chain tensioners. But those two were only a matter of time.

I've had my G37 since March, and it's only been to the dealer for car washes, and one oil change. I did the last one myself. Within this same time period, my Maxima was at the dealer for quite a few things. That same night I brought the car home, simply backing my car out of the garage, there was a very loud hum/vibration. Dropped it off the very next day. They had the car for 4 days just to track it down. Something was loose behind the dashboard. Then the first time we had snow, the sunroof leaked... just once thankfully. Rear deck rattle that they never really fixed. Lots of other squeaks not even 6 months into ownership. And the shimmy. Warped rotors. Just a lot of unnecessary problems.

G37 is not the same thing as a G35. Just to clarify for you.

I bet if you go test drive a 7th gen you wont find a fit and finish difference, mostly because they dash and seats are pretty much the same.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Im wondering if these were issues occurring with 04 and 05 models or if it had something to do with the driving style most of you guys have, spirited driving or maybe you guys just had lemons. I've had 0 issues with my 2006 and I've owned it almost 2 years. I don't drive it like I stole it either. Never had transmission issues either because I have the 6spd manual. I don't know.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by RAZ76
Im wondering if these were issues occurring with 04 and 05 models or if it had something to do with the driving style most of you guys have, spirited driving or maybe you guys just had lemons. I've had 0 issues with my 2006 and I've owned it almost 2 years. I don't drive it like I stole it either. Never had transmission issues either because I have the 6spd manual. I don't know.
I had no time to have a driving style in the beginning. lol

The saying "Never buy a first generation remodel" holds true for pretty much everything.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:36 AM

G37 is not the same thing as a G35. Just to clarify for you.

I bet if you go test drive a 7th gen you wont find a fit and finish difference, mostly because they dash and seats are pretty much the same.
I did test drive a 7th.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:32 PM

g35 has more modding capability. Max is faster stock for stock. Turn radius on the max is horrible. interior of the Max is way better and bigger. Sound is only different because of one exhaust vice two. Max can sound good with right mod. Both have their advantages. If you are going for performance only then G35 is your best bet. If you want luxery and performance Max is the one. You couldn't redo the whole interior of the G35 to get me comfortable inside it. Goes for the 350z too. too cramped and interior design sucks. If I were you, I would test drive the G35 then get in the max. You won't be disappointed by either stock. As for all the argueing, both are right with what they are saying. G35 and Max for 04 were built like crap compared to some of the other cars on the market. That happens with the first gen of pretty much every thing. Ps3, Xbox360, etc, etc. I mean the Ps3 was built with the expectation of lasting 10 years. tested over and over again and they still have their problems. That is on a small scale compared to vehicles. They can only go through testing for so long. Meet minimum standards and out the door they go. That aside, if you do get a Max, get the 6speed. Steer clear of the 5speed.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:07 PM

Yeah built by the same company but the attention to detail and quality is by far better on the INFINITI line than the nissan's. Besides front wheel drive sucks! RWD all day.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 AM

I have actually 4 fourth gens right now, 2 I30s, 2 Maxs, i dont notice one difference in build quality, atleast 7 of my friends have 350Zs and G35s, honestly there is no difference in build quality, i have worked on them driven them, a matter a fact those cars are WORSE then these 4th gens, and by a large margin, especially the Gs, so many dash rattles and small things going wrong on them, 350Z have the junkiest sounding doors i have ever heard. 6th gens are no models of fit and finish but they are in no means worse then a G35.

Nissan are just nissans. Apparently you have been keeping up with the rest of us that have noticed, the build quality of nissan has been going downhill since the mid 90s, it peak around the 6th gen/G35/350Z times, its only recently started to come back.
350Z is built in Japan.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by dpeles1
350Z is built in Japan.
no ****.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 AM

no ****.
Hence the reason you don't see a difference in build quality between the G35 and 350z. I don't consider junky soundy doors poor build quality. I think it is safe to assume that Japan has higher standards for its workers than that of its American counterpart. Even thought it is the same company. Its like saying you will get the same customer service from someone that works for the same company that is based in India and one based in the US.

Last edited by dpeles1; 01-17-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM

rwd and the fm platform is a better place to start. g35 imo
Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by dpeles1
Hence the reason you don't see a difference in build quality between the G35 and 350z. I don't consider junky soundy doors poor build quality. I think it is safe to assume that Japan has higher standards for its workers than that of its American counterpart. Even thought it is the same company. Its like saying you will get the same customer service from someone that works for the same company that is based in India and one based in the US.
Ive dealt with both i dont see a difference big enough for me to go with one over the other. But anyway you guys believe what you want, ignorance has blinded you.

Like i was saying build quality in this case is not a grounds to chose one car over the other. They both suck in that area. If you have to get a car out of these to go with the G35. The best thing to do would be save up a couple more and get a +07 G35/G37.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:35 AM

Ive dealt with both i dont see a difference big enough for me to go with one over the other. But anyway you guys believe what you want, ignorance has blinded you.

Like i was saying build quality in this case is not a grounds to chose one car over the other. They both suck in that area. If you have to get a car out of these to go with the G35. The best thing to do would be save up a couple more and get a +07 G35/G37.
i have 12k cash money and my 99 se-l to work with and thats it no more saving
Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
g35 has more modding capability. Max is faster stock for stock. Turn radius on the max is horrible. interior of the Max is way better and bigger. Sound is only different because of one exhaust vice two. Max can sound good with right mod. Both have their advantages. If you are going for performance only then G35 is your best bet. If you want luxery and performance Max is the one. You couldn't redo the whole interior of the G35 to get me comfortable inside it. Goes for the 350z too. too cramped and interior design sucks. If I were you, I would test drive the G35 then get in the max. You won't be disappointed by either stock. As for all the argueing, both are right with what they are saying. G35 and Max for 04 were built like crap compared to some of the other cars on the market. That happens with the first gen of pretty much every thing. Ps3, Xbox360, etc, etc. I mean the Ps3 was built with the expectation of lasting 10 years. tested over and over again and they still have their problems. That is on a small scale compared to vehicles. They can only go through testing for so long. Meet minimum standards and out the door they go. That aside, if you do get a Max, get the 6speed. Steer clear of the 5speed.
i will only get a 6 speed lol