6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rear Shocks replacement useful info

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 02:57 PM

Rear Shocks replacement useful info

Someone posted on this forum about background noise from the rear after shocks replacement. Most likely, this noise is caused by improper assembly or using incorrect parts or both. You would think that rear shocks are piece of cake to replace, but it is not exactly true- keep reading if curious why.

1. Jack up one side of the car using hydraulic jack in the rear- work one side at a time. Careful with placement, do not force it on body parts, find piece of frame.
2. Place normal, classic jack in between notches and slowly lower the vehicle
3. remove wheel (yes, you got it right, pull parking brake and loosen wheel lugnuts first, which is step "zero".
4. Move hydraulic jack and place it under the spring.
5. DO NOT raise the spring, rather hold it in place
6. Loosen 17mm bolt hodling shock to steering knuckle, but do not remove yet.
7. Undo 2 12mm nuts on top. You do not have to mess with trunk lining, nuts are right there inside wheel well.
8. Compress the shock so lower part where big bolt is, is somewhat free, and let the bolt go. Wiggle shock outta there.
10. Use locking pliers to hold the rod on top and undo rod nut. Disassemble the shock. I recommend laying everything in order on the floor, do not screw up the order while assembling or you will end up having noise or other problems.
9. If you use KYB shocks, they will come with 2 bushings, metal sleeve, new nut, and a washer. Pay attention- smaller bushing that comes with new shock is shaped differently from OEM and most likely will not fit (no room for nut on top while putting everything back together). Hello, KYB, are you reading this? Solution: purchase shock mount kit beforehand, and use smaller bushing from that kit- it is shaped almost like OEM. Bottom line- you will need either purchase shock mount kit OR reuse OEM smaller bushing OR buy that bushing from nissan, if you want to do the job right.
Yes, do use big bushing that came with the shock (the one that sleeve goes into)
10. It is a good idea to replace shock boots. Pay attention for proper placement of bumper inside the boot, bumper comes with the boot and has to be twisted inside uintil it lands in the groove. Aftermarket boots and bumpers are entirely diferent from OEM, do not try to compare old shock with the new one during assembly.
11. When new shock is in place, slide boot down so it partially covers shock housing and push bumper all the way up unti it's flush with the bracket. If you do not perform this procedure, you are inviting water and dirt inside the shock.

Hope this helps and have a great afternoon.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:55 PM

Good write up. I actually just got my KYB GR-2's (front and rear assemblies) in with all the mounting hardware, boots, bushings, etc. I will be doing this farely soon, just waiting on some other parts.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by cfr94
Good write up. I actually just got my KYB GR-2's (front and rear assemblies) in with all the mounting hardware, boots, bushings, etc. I will be doing this farely soon, just waiting on some other parts.
You've got 2008? Car is probably too young for new struts or shocks unless you have an elephant or hippo or something. Do you do stop and go mostly or hwy commute?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by acercomp71
You've got 2008? Car is probably too young for new struts or shocks unless you have an elephant or hippo or something. Do you do stop and go mostly or hwy commute?
HAHAHA. I am lowered on Eibach springs and I had read somewhere that it is recommended that you change your struts out every 40-50K. I do a little of both but I'd have to say mainly it's stop and go.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM

kinda on topic but, i just purchased monroe shocks and struts for my 04 maxi. question i have is do they come with boots or do i have to order them? and are they any good?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ricky7780
kinda on topic but, i just purchased monroe shocks and struts for my 04 maxi. question i have is do they come with boots or do i have to order them? and are they any good?
No, boots (we are talking about boot/bumper assy actually) are not included with your new shocks or struts. If you need boots for your monroe front struts, it is monroe part# 63619. As of rear shocks, it appears that monroe does not manufacture boots for them for this specific application, so try KYB boots in the rear instead, they may fit Monroe shocks.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 PM

oh ok , thanks. also a bit of infor for ppl who are planning to use monroe. they no longer make sensa trac. monroe now makes something called "monroe oespectrum" they replaced the sensa-trac. they brought this line in to aim more towards foreign cars as oespectrums was used over seas on forieng cars. i got oe spectrum shocks becuz they no longer made sensa trac, so i sent back my struts and got spectrums as well.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:07 PM

Hello All, I have 150,000 miles on my 04 max and never had to change the dtruts and shocks. Now I am noticing bumpy ,unstable and noisy ride. What replacement parts to you reccomend and where to order them from?
Old 05-07-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by acercomp71
9. If you use KYB shocks, they will come with 2 bushings, metal sleeve, new nut, and a washer. Pay attention- smaller bushing that comes with new shock is shaped differently from OEM and most likely will not fit (no room for nut on top while putting everything back together). Hello, KYB, are you reading this? Solution: purchase shock mount kit beforehand, and use smaller bushing from that kit- it is shaped almost like OEM. Bottom line- you will need either purchase shock mount kit OR reuse OEM smaller bushing OR buy that bushing from nissan, if you want to do the job right.
I have done many KYB shocks installation in 04-06 maxima using the new bushing that comes in box and never had any fitment issue.

Regardless....nice write-up for someone who is doing this first time.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:40 AM

replaced w kyb used all their parts no problem no noise not difficult.....
Old 08-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Go to Monroe Website

Originally Posted by ricky7780
oh ok , thanks. also a bit of infor for ppl who are planning to use monroe. they no longer make sensa trac. monroe now makes something called "monroe oespectrum" they replaced the sensa-trac. they brought this line in to aim more towards foreign cars as oespectrums was used over seas on forieng cars. i got oe spectrum shocks becuz they no longer made sensa trac, so i sent back my struts and got spectrums as well.

Actually they do still make Sensatrack. If you go on the Monroe website they show all of their products. You are correct that they do have OEspectrum for foreign cars.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the 2 bolts in the wheel well

so i only take two bolts loose from the inside wheel to loosen the strut ?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:57 PM

ive been running eibach springs with kyb shocks for about 50k ish...3 years. i feel like the shocks are too soft and you feel mostly spring. anyone have a recommendation for a different brand strut to match the eibachs better?