6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Nissan/Infiniti quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Nissan/Infiniti quality

Hello Org I haven't posted on this site in a few well after I traded my 04 Maxima for a 07 M35x, And after I bought the car it developed a knock in the engine the dealer was trying to tell me it was normal for a hole year only when I threatened them with calling corp office they fixed my car.

Well turnes out they had to replace the short block in my M35 it took a month to get my car back the tech did a great job ok now to the point
when I was in the shop i noticed three other engines being replaced
an 09 g37 and m35 VQ35DE motor are thses cars really built to match there price tages thoughts please

Last edited by Lovemycar; 10-04-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:44 PM

First ive heard of this. My dad owns an 07 M35s. No problems whatsoever in it. Owned my 4th gen since it was built in 94' and its had no major problems either.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:47 PM

I don't think this is a Nissan-specific issue. All eight of the Nissans my family has owned have had over 100,000 miles on them, or put on them by the time they were sold, with no issues at all.

The only car I had issues with was my 6MT Maxima, and it didn't have to do with the engine, but rather nickel-and-dime issues, such as bad bearings, wheel hubs, etc.

You can't necessarily say that the quality of these engines is suffering based soley on the fact that you saw three other cars having their motors swapped. You also have to take other factors into account, such as:

-How did the PO/CO maintain the car? For all you know, the owners of those other three cars may have never, or rarely changed the oil/did routine maintenance. The general population is ignorant when it comes to cars. Most will buy a car, and just expect it to self-maintain until they run it into the ground.

-How did the PO drive the car? Driving the hell out of a car/general abuse is, of course, going to greatly shorten the life of any motor, no matter how well-built it is. Example: My friend got an Acura for his 16th birthday with 50k on it. By 75k, the car was pouring blue smoke out the exhaust, and ran like ish because he tortured the car.

-Maybe the shop had technicians who specialized in doing motor swaps, so those vehicles were sent in from around the region to your specific dealer. The shop behind where I work had a tech working for about 6 months who, all he did from sunup to sundown, was swap motors in cars.

From my general experience, the VQ35 is a pretty structurally-sound motor. Let me put it to you this way. I currently own a Nissan with over 200,000 miles on it. The car has been well-maintained, and runs like any comparable car that's seen 60-70,000 miles worth of use.

I'm not saying you neglected your car by any means, but you've got to look at other factors that could play into the issue at hand. Maybe Nissan released a batch of bad motors...stuff like that happens to every major company now and then. I could go on, but you get the point...

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 10-04-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:14 PM

the VQ35 engine has had some issues, the Rev Up motors in 05-06 G35/350Z 6spd cars had some well known oil consumption problems, and I think in general the VQ35 and VQ37 may have a tendency to burn a bit more oil than the older VQ engines.

I have a VQ35DE in my Infiniti QX4 with 175k+ miles and I have no problems, my sister has an 06 G35 which has been 100% trouble free.

I think there may be problems but they are not a representation of Nissan/Infiniti of having bad quality.

every manufacturer has a few blemishes, and compared to Toyota, Honda, or zee Germans these kinds of issues are nothing.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:48 PM

I beg to differ on quality on Nissan. My first Nissan ever and my last.

I received my car with 69k miles on it, taken care and dealer serviced by me. PO, no clue. I understand wear and tear items, brakes, filters, etc.

The 3.5 engine sucks period Timing chains made of plastic and needing replacing at around 50k (I was told my issue had been going on long before I got the car), it seems the o-ring on the oil cooler is an issue, had it before and now recent oil change its back again. I have 2 motor mounts broken now, which again I guess I had for a while now. Other nickle and dime issues with the car, which I am sure the stealer makes out like a bandit to fix, I can't justify spending $865 to fix 2 motor mounts by the dealer, I just dumped $1250 for the damn chains. So while some have had good experiences, I see the board as a tall tale of bigger issues with the car. One doesnt need to go far and just read if Nissan is bad or good when it comes to the car.